Guest Paul Acworth

Reg Varney -On The Buses & Jack Smethurst Love Thy

That's sad news, Oh well, a hit is a hit.

Congrats, you and a few others. I'll await the usual subsequent posts in Last of the Summer Wine, Dead of 2015, Character Actors and any other threads people care to think of.....was he in Doctor Who? *rushes off to check*

Is there an 'Oh, Dr Beeching' thread?

I guess it's an age thing....firstly I hated LOTSW, parents made me watch it and secondly he was in it after I was old enough to make my own TV choices so I never saw him in it..he will always be Blakey to me. ^_^

• Like 1

I guess it's an age thing....firstly I hated LOTSW, parents made me watch it and he was in it after I was old enough to make my own TV choices so I never saw him in it..he will always be Blakey to me. ^_^

Same here!

• Like 1

I guess it's an age thing....firstly I hated LOTSW, parents made me watch it and secondly he was in it after I was old enough to make my own TV choices so I never saw him in it..he will always be Blakey to me. ^_^

He was in LOTSW longer than he was in On The Buses. I couldn't watch LOTSW after Bill Owen passed away, although I did watch the episode where they paid tribute to him (Bill Owen/Compo).

He was in LOTSW longer than he was in On The Buses. I couldn't watch LOTSW after Bill Owen passed away, although I did watch the episode where they paid tribute to him (Bill Owen/Compo).

Leaves Anna Karen as the sole survivor of the main cast (every episode).

Tripped onto Twitter to see the reaction, almost to a man and woman they refer to On The Buses for Stephen Lewis. There were 3 films too (let's not judge the quality of those but remember Mr Lewis' acting!). Like George Cole, there are some roles that just define your career.

Having looked at Anna Karen's IMDB, she's been in Eastenders longer than most roles, but I'll bet she'll be more remembered for OTB or even the 1970s The Rag Trade reboot.

Everyone has a different memory though, and that should be respected. :)

• Like 4

Tripped onto Twitter to see the reaction, almost to a man and woman they refer to On The Buses for Stephen Lewis. There were 3 films too (let's not judge the quality of those but remember Mr Lewis' acting!). Like George Cole, there's some roles that just define your career.

Having looked at Anna Karen's IMDB, she's been in Eastenders longer than most roles, but I'll bet she'll be more remembered for OTB or even the 1970s The Rag Trade reboot.

I'll always remember him as being Blakey from OTB. Same with Anna Karen, even though I've seen her in a couple of episodes of Eastenders, I'll always remember her as Olive from OTB. I've only seen a couple of episodes of The Rag Trade

• Like 1

Tripped onto Twitter to see the reaction, almost to a man and woman they refer to On The Buses for Stephen Lewis. There were 3 films too (let's not judge the quality of those but remember Mr Lewis' acting!). Like George Cole, there's some roles that just define your career.

I'll always remember him as being Blakey from OTB. Same with Anna Karen, even though I've seen her in a couple of episodes of Eastenders, I'll always remember her as Olive from OTB. I've only seen a couple of episodes of The Rag Trade

Same. I watched Last of the Summer Wine in the background when I was very little with my grandfather.Don`t particularly remember him in it.I remember Burt Kwouk Brian Murphy and Peter Sallis walking around together though.He will always be Blakey to me!

Tripped onto Twitter to see the reaction, almost to a man and woman they refer to On The Buses for Stephen Lewis. There were 3 films too (let's not judge the quality of those but remember Mr Lewis' acting!). Like George Cole, there are some roles that just define your career.

It does get on my tits when you get the critics view of a 1970s institution ( I suppose ) from a 2015 viewpoint.

OTB was one of the most watched programmes of its generation, that means our parents, grandparents and even us thought it was as funny as fuck.

The fact that it was sexist, racist and every other ist doesn't make a blind bit of difference, it was funny for its time and, actually, is still funnier than the multitudes of shite churned out nowdays by right on channels that the Beeb have spunked licence payers money on.

So there.

• Like 5

^^I was there at the time, my Lord, I'm actually giving you a critic's version of my 6 or 7 year old self. The TV series was great, the films less so - we watched the whole thing as a family. I thought that back then and although the first one is almost as good, the two followups weren't there imo. But it was only my opinion - remember my poor little kiddie face coming out of the cinema, slightly creased with bemusement as to why the film didn't live up to the show. Damaged me, I tell ya, oh my gawd. :)

^^I was there at the time, my Lord, I'm actually giving you a critic's version of my 6 or 7 year old self. The TV series was great, the films less so - we watched the whole thing as a family. I thought that back then and although the first one is almost as good, the two followups weren't there imo. But it was only my opinion - remember my poor little kiddie face coming out of the cinema, slightly creased with bemusement as to why the film didn't live up to the show. Damaged me, I tell ya, oh my gawd. :)

The films never quite live up to how good the TV series is at the time. The Steptoe and Son films and also Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads are prime examples of this. I think the reason being is that the writers were used to writing 30 minute episodes and attempting to drag out the storyline for another hour seemed more of a challenge.

I don't think the Steptoe or Likely Lads films were that bad compared with the other sitcom films. Porridge isn't bad either...

• Like 1

Yet Morcombe & Wise (though obviously not a copy of their telly shtik) were fucking Keiron.

:Found this video of a Canadian Politician called Stephen Lewis.Looks eerily similar to Blakey!!!!

on_the_buses_by_stevelilart-d30df0k.jpg

• Like 1

I have never seen an episode of On The Buses but understand that this rather than his LOTSW role will define him.

on_the_buses_by_stevelilart-d30df0k.jpg

Only Anna Karen left out of that lot, the stupid great nit!

Never forget that Anna Karen was a burlesque dancer back in the 60s before donning the glasses and grease to play Olive:

olive.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Smethurst is 86 today. :birthday:

• Like 4

Reports coming in via Twittersphere that Ronald Chesney has caught his last bus:

53 minutes ago, time said:

I concur

So in answer to the OP, no, they are now both dead.

Reg Varney - 2008

Jack Smethurst - 2022

RIP and the thread is due for a tagging.;)

• Like 2

British Comedy Guide have an obit up, so closer.

Smethurst was in Carry On Sergeant (carry on bods take note), Quatermass And The Pit (somebody let Toby Hadoke know), A Kind Of Loving (seminal 1960s film), possibly the last survivor of the sitcom For The Love Of Ada, and had his own This Is Your Life in 1973.

I mean, c'mon, there's plenty to write about - you can't be in a controversial show after all of that and not obit. Can you?

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

British Comedy Guide have an obit up, so closer.

Smethurst was in Carry On Sergeant (carry on bods take note), Quatermass And The Pit (somebody let Toby Hadoke know), A Kind Of Loving (seminal 1960s film), possibly the last survivor of the sitcom For The Love Of Ada, and had his own This Is Your Life in 1973.

I mean, c'mon, there's plenty to write about - you can't be in a controversial show after all of that and not obit. Can you?

He will get multiple ones.