Cerberus

The Ides Of March

Apart from a certain J Caesar, has anyone else of note come a cropper on this day over the years?

And if Ides means "middle", shouldn't it really be the 16th? That would make 15 March days before, and 15 after.

Just a thought.

Actually, quite a lot of famous folk have toddled off on the ides.

I remember Thora Herd being mentioned over in the LotSW thread. She died on March 15th. :banghead:

So did H.P. Lovecraft, Aristotle Onassis, Benjamin Spock and Duncan Hines.

Also! On the Roman calander, the ides was the 15th of March, May, July and October, and the 13th of the other months. The kalends was the first of each month and the nones was the 7th of March, May, July and October and the 5th in all other months. The rest of the days weren't named. They'd count forward or back for the rest of the days. :banghead:

Actually, quite a lot of famous folk have toddled off on the ides.

I remember Thora Herd being mentioned over in the LotSW thread. She died on March 15th. :banghead:

So did H.P. Lovecraft, Aristotle Onassis, Benjamin Spock and Duncan Hines.

Also! On the Roman calander, the ides was the 15th of March, May, July and October, and the 13th of the other months. The kalends was the first of each month and the nones was the 7th of March, May, July and October and the 5th in all other months. The rest of the days weren't named. They'd count forward or back for the rest of the days. :banghead:

WHEW!!

Im gonna have to get a diary.

Is it not calendar?

I stand corrected, I found this.

Kalends (1st day of the month)

Nones (the 7th day in March, May, July, and October; the 5th in the other months)

Ides (the 15th day in March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months)

WHEW!!

Im gonna have to get a diary.

Is it not calendar?

Oh dear. Yes, it is calendar. I always seem to transpose the letters there. :P

Today Mr. Blair won his vote on Education reform, but only with the help of the Tories.

Perhaps it will be one of the final nails in his political coffin.

I stand corrected, I found this.

Kalends (1st day of the month)

Nones (the 7th day in March, May, July, and October; the 5th in the other months)

Ides (the 15th day in March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months)

That's for the Gregorian calender, it would be slightly different in Julius Caesar's day. don't forget you have 13 lunar months and if I remember correctly, 10 Roman months. The ides are usually midday through the lunar cycle

That's for the Gregorian calender, it would be slightly different in Julius Caesar's day. don't forget you have 13 lunar months and if I remember correctly, 10 Roman months. The ides are usually midday through the lunar cycle

Ehm, no. The Gregorian calendar is the one we use now, including day numbers. The Julian calendar, which came before, was pretty much the same as the Gregorian calendar, with the exception of the leap year rule.

We're discussing the Roman calendar. I couldn't find when our day numbering (16 March, e.g.) was introduced.

pedantically yours,

Hein

from the documentary " the day ceasar was killed" made by the "two guys in togas" network

mrs. ceasar was quoted as saying "i told him, julie, don't go. the lasangna is done"

she is said to of been made suspicious by a man with an electric guitar outside the house. he was said to of been singing "baby please don't go". neighbors claim he looked suspisiously like "some dude named eric clapton".

mr clapton had no comment.

"i thought the gods were warning him." says mrs. ceasar. "we don't have electricity. it always seems so sci-fi."

someone indeed, was trying to warn him. this was confirmed by a note found in his toga pocket, allegedly from an annonymus tipster. the note read "all your friends hate you. love & kisses, annonomus tipster"

however, he decided to go anyway. he would live to regret it. but only for a little while.

an hour later, slice and dice.

mrs. ceasar is said to be concerned about getting all that blood off his toga in time for his funeral.

the "toga for ceasar fund" is now open. donations will be gladly accepted by his dear friend, brutus.

no, i have no idea what brought this on. another beer is called for.

"here, beer! come here, beer! whoa, beer!"

from the documentary " the day ceasar was killed" made by the "two guys in togas" network

mrs. ceasar was quoted as saying "i told him, julie, don't go. the lasangna is done"

she is said to of been made suspicious by a man with an electric guitar outside the house. he was said to of been singing "baby please don't go". neighbors claim he looked suspisiously like "some dude named eric clapton".

mr clapton had no comment.

"i thought the gods were warning him." says mrs. ceasar. "we don't have electricity. it always seems so sci-fi."

someone indeed, was trying to warn him. this was confirmed by a note found in his toga pocket, allegedly from an annonymus tipster. the note read "all your friends hate you. love & kisses, annonomus tipster"

however, he decided to go anyway. he would live to regret it. but only for a little while.

an hour later, slice and dice.

mrs. ceasar is said to be concerned about getting all that blood off his toga in time for his funeral.

the "toga for ceasar fund" is now open. donations will be gladly accepted by his dear friend, brutus.

no, i have no idea what brought this on. another beer is called for.

"here, beer! come here, beer! whoa, beer!"

Barking!

Apart from a certain J Caesar, has anyone else of note come a cropper on this day over the years?

And if Ides means "middle", shouldn't it really be the 16th? That would make 15 March days before, and 15 after.

Just a thought.

My brother was born on the Ides of March

According to IMDB, the following died on 15th March:

Thora Hird (2003)

Dr. Benjamin Spock (1998)

Aristotle Onassis (1975)

Miles Malleson (1969)

Lester Young (1959)

H P Lovecraft (1937)

Luigi Cherubini (1842)

Plus A whole host of other people I've never heard of

I would say that's a pretty poor return, so not a particularly "auspicious" date!

Anyone want to do stats on the most productive date? Guess there would have to be a "famousness" test in there - very complicated!

According to IMDB, the following died on 15th March:

Thora Hird (2003)

Dr. Benjamin Spock (1998)

Aristotle Onassis (1975)

Miles Malleson (1969)

Lester Young (1959)

H P Lovecraft (1937)

Luigi Cherubini (1842)

Plus A whole host of other people I've never heard of

I would say that's a pretty poor return, so not a particularly "auspicious" date!

Anyone want to do stats on the most productive date? Guess there would have to be a "famousness" test in there - very complicated!

Is there a word/phrase for people who die on the same date? Death twins maybe?

Unfortunate?

Unfortunate?

I guess all people who die are unfortunate .... I was looking for a specific phrase for people who die on the same date :unsure:

I don't recall Thora Hird being in Talking Heads - did she replace Tina Weymouth?

Barking!

is this a good thing? :)

Happy Ides of March all! Let's see if there is a huge name who keels over today.

• Like 2