Paul Bearer

Where Have All The Ranters Gone?

As someone who hasn't been here all that long, I have noticed that in recent months there seems to have been a spate of non celeb death related threads which have been more popular than the celeb death threads. More relevance to the site and less chat would probably bring the ranters back.

For all rant fans, there's a cracker on the Nick Du Toit thread, with a superb pithy retort from Tempus.

Hopefully we might have a few more drive-by ranters soon as someone has posted a link to here in a thread about celeb deaths on Digital Spy, asking "Is it a sick game or just a bit of fun".

And no, it wasn't me either.

If any of them rants asking us is it a sick game or a bit of fun....what do we think?

I reckon it's both and I'd have it no other way.

If any of them rants asking us is it a sick game or a bit of fun....what do we think?

Certainly a bit of fun, but as there's no actual competing I'm not so sure the DL is a game, like say the DDP. Sick? That's in the eye of the beholder. Just look at how much global interest there's been over Steve Irwin crocking it.

It's a sick game in that we do - sort of - compete with other sites out there also trying to pick dead uns, and we openly encourage our members into Dead Pool membership.

Or summat.

Indeed Handy

Makes me think mind, it's often the case that the nice celebs with the uncritical fans draw the ranting fire on here. If their careers were really happening and their fans had the gumption to create lively web sites worth visiting repeatedly, they'd never find us.

Certainly a bit of fun, but as there's no actual competing I'm not so sure the DL is a game, like say the DDP. Sick? That's in the eye of the beholder. Just look at how much global interest there's been over Steve Irwin crocking it.

I think you may have forgotten to insert the drum roll there CR. :P

On Maryport's question, I reckon it's a bit of fun, but from my point of view it also brings to light many people's double standards about death. If someone is seen in public as a nasty character (i.e. Robert Maxwell) then it seems acceptable to take the piss out Maxwell's bloated corpse on the TV for ever; no-one cares about the feelings of the friends and family in that case, although I suppose Maxwell's family didn't inspire sympathy but that's just the first example I thought of. Yet on here you get ranters about celebrities with heavy drug habits, terminal illnesses or just plain old age for instance, where we might just be talking about their chances of dying due to their own lifestyle choices, bad fortune or their age, without actually saying we want that person to die. Not that we don't do that too on occasion... :D

There were enough jokes going around about the Queen Mother dying or even the Princess of Hearts (gawd bless 'er x2) on the TV, email circulars, down the pub etc. but on a forum it becomes sacrilegious to some people.

Again, forgotten my precise point* in an attempt to stay on topic...... maybe one day the name 'Death List' really will provide a clue to the passer-by of the nature of this site. Presumably you get forums for every type of person or hobby imaginable; I wonder if the same people who rant here go on to swingers' sites (if they exist of course :) ) and complain about the loose morality and lack of belief in the sanctity of marriage etc.? And then settle down with their copy of the Daily Mail, Mont Blanc pen and Basildon Bond paper to write another 'outraged from Kent' letter.

Basically I just wanted to doff my cap to CR's splendid punnery; I shall probably return after my next gallon of coffee. So, in about 1/2 hour then.

*I've just re-read the last post by MPFC; a much much better and shorter way of what I think I was trying to say above.

And then settle down with their copy of the Daily Mail, Mont Blanc pen and Basildon Bond paper to write another 'outraged from Kent' letter.

I doubt if many Daily Mail readers use Montblanc pens, more like Papermate with Parkers for the Telegraph, Sheaffers for the Times, Bic for the Daily Mirror and crayons for the Sun. Montblanc has to be the FT.

Don't forget the twig recycled into a rude charcoal marker for The Guardian and a freshly-inked thumb for readers of The Star.

And then settle down with their copy of the Daily Mail, Mont Blanc pen and Basildon Bond paper to write another 'outraged from Kent' letter.

I doubt if many Daily Mail readers use Montblanc pens, more like Papermate with Parkers for the Telegraph, Sheaffers for the Times, Bic for the Daily Mirror and crayons for the Sun. Montblanc has to be the FT.

Fair point about the Montblanc pens, but I bet if they were advertised in their horrific innovations magazine (Mail on Sunday, don't know if 'innovations' still exists) as being 'exclusive executive pens' they'd all get them, or at least pretend they had one.

Especially if you can get them monogrammed, to match the golf balls and bath robes. :P

Don't forget the twig recycled into a rude charcoal marker for The Guardian and a freshly-inked thumb for readers of The Star.

For The Guardian I'd suggest chalk.

regards,

Hein

I reckon we'll get a few Tongan ranters on very soon, get ready everyone

I reckon we'll get a few Tongan ranters on very soon, get ready everyone

Of course i'll be vocal. Somebody has got to communicate with them. :)

Them Tongans should be a different class of ranter, the other name for the place is 'The Friendly Islands.'

Guest Someone who used to be VERY acti

I hate this site! :D

I hate you all! :P

I hate Windsor most! :angry:

I hate myself also! :angry:

I am a member here BTW :P

Just a joke of course.

Try to figure out who i am though.

I keep getting this vision of a monkey with glasses.

Beats me why.

Guest Guest

So who would that be then?

We have a ranter in the Mary Travers thread. I had to edit it to remove the racist comments though.

The tongan ranters continue to flock by the dozens. I have a hunch that the King's thread will be active for quite some time.

Good night for ranter spotting; Richard Hammond has brought some such posts in and there's a cracker of angry and insulting vitriol - calling us juvenile and loads worse - recently landed on Jake Lamotta on the DL itself.

Guest Curtain Twitcher

I dont see this site morbid at all ,If you were on the list one year and in Jan the next see you have fallen places ,or even dissapeared ,wow what a cool start to the year.

Likewise when you appear and keep rising up the charts it may be time to cut back on the boose and burgers

cool site keep it up

I think too Twitch Curtain, it all for you we do cool stuff cos it mighty nice and that when drive by show understand and not get on us case or anything. If only are whole world like you, better place and that. and more laughs all round, mebbe with sum boose, but not enough kill us, like.

I think too Twitch Curtain, it all for you we do cool stuff cos it mighty nice and that when drive by show understand and not get on us case or anything. If only are whole world like you, better place and that. and more laughs all round, mebbe with sum boose, but not enough kill us, like.

Nice pastiche MPFC.

On the other hand a Cumbrian at 11 minutes past closing time may always write that way.