IKYWN

Richard Hammond

So I take it he's not making sandwiches in his bunker anytime soon then.

I should stop following Youtube channels.

• Like 2

Top Freudian slip moment in the 7-30 news summary on Radio 4, in discussing the lack of filming on a new series of Top Gear and the (rumoured) departure of the injured Freddie Flintoff from the show, the newsreader accidently referred to it as Top Gore!

Maybe an accident/maybe the show's infamous history of poor safety has earned it a BBC nickname that slipped out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Top Freudian slip moment in the 7-30 news summary on Radio 4, in discussing the lack of filming on a new series of Top Gear and the (rumoured) departure of the injured Freddie Flintoff from the show, the newsreader accidently referred to it as Top Gore!

Maybe an accident/maybe the show's infamous history of poor safety has earned it a BBC nickname that slipped out.

Isn't the show a bit of a zombie now anyway? Can't imagine that many people flock to see Flintoff, the omnipresent McGuinness and the other one in quite the same way as Clarkson, Hammond and May.

19 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

Isn't the show a bit of a zombie now anyway? Can't imagine that many people flock to see Flintoff, the omnipresent McGuinness and the other one in quite the same way as Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Aye, still an earner, mind

In other news - Daily Mail in a positive wanking frenzy given the double whammy of being able to blast the BBC and also suggest Freddie Flintoff (i.e. a national treasure) has been seriously damaged emotionally. Quoting their mate "BBC insider" they've gone for it here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11896711/BBC-NOT-resume-filming-latest-Gear-series-investigation-horror-accident.html

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, still an earner, mind

In other news - Daily Mail in a positive wanking frenzy given the double whammy of being able to blast the BBC and also suggest Freddie Flintoff (i.e. a national treasure) has been seriously damaged emotionally. Quoting their mate "BBC insider" they've gone for it here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11896711/BBC-NOT-resume-filming-latest-Gear-series-investigation-horror-accident.html

Didn't know being a blonde bloke who used to play a boring sport made you a national treasure, but then utter cunts like Cilla have been arbitrarily given that status too, so shouldn't be surprised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prussianblue said:

Didn't know being a blonde bloke who used to play a boring sport made you a national treasure, but then utter cunts like Cilla have been arbitrarily given that status too, so shouldn't be surprised. 

A fair point but I'd suggest the quality of our national treasures has improved greatly since Jimmy Savile counted as one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

A fair point but I'd suggest the quality of our national treasures has improved greatly since Jimmy Savile counted as one of them.

Savile's career was thankfully pretty much dead by the time I came along, and I've never understood the appeal. Even if he hadn't been a monster, he was creepy and weird, and I just don't understand how that was deemed prime time material for a couple of decades.

1 minute ago, prussianblue said:

Savile's career was thankfully pretty much dead by the time I came along, and I've never understood the appeal. Even if he hadn't been a monster, he was creepy and weird, and I just don't understand how that was deemed prime time material for a couple of decades.

I couldn't stand him, he made me feel sick. 

I never understood why he was thought appropriate to present shows like TOTP - he was so much older than the other presenters and so uncool it was embarrassing.

53 minutes ago, Toast said:

I couldn't stand him, he made me feel sick. 

I never understood why he was thought appropriate to present shows like TOTP - he was so much older than the other presenters and so uncool it was embarrassing.

Not when it first started, though why he wasn't dropped like Murray and Jacobs when he got 30something is another question (as is why he was given a prime-time Saturday evening kids show)! But then he was still hob-nobbing with the PM in the 80s.

42 minutes ago, time said:

Not when it first started, though why he wasn't dropped like Murray and Jacobs when he got 30something is another question (as is why he was given a prime-time Saturday evening kids show)! But then he was still hob-nobbing with the PM in the 80s.

He was a fixture in our house. We watched Jim'll Fix It and listened to his Old Record Club on Sunday lunchtimes. He was one of the most recognizable celebrities of the day. my wife says she always found him creepy but her mum had some of this books.

He was a master of obfuscation with all his charity work and hospital visits being so visible. However there were those who was suspicious. The producer who worked on Children in Need refused to have Saville any where near the event 

1 hour ago, time said:

Not when it first started, though why he wasn't dropped like Murray and Jacobs when he got 30something is another question

Make that 40something.  Yes, you're right, they were all about the same age.   I think that was because there weren't any young DJ types at the BBC until Radio 1 started in 1967.  Then they had a clearout, but as you say Savile was mysteriously kept on for 20 years. I always found him a repulsive creature from my childhood onwards.

6 hours ago, time said:

Even in the 90s. He was friendly with both Thatcher and Blair. 

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

. The producer who worked on Children in Need refused to have Saville any where near the event 

Terry Wogan said he'd walk from Children in Need if they let Savile on board. Terry was a proper legend.

Mum never let us watch Savile. Always thought he was dodgy. Not to the extent he actually was though.

We all watched Rolf instead... :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, msc said:

Terry Wogan said he'd walk from Children in Need if they let Savile on board. Terry was a proper legend.

Mum never let us watch Savile. Always thought he was dodgy. Not to the extent he actually was though.

We all watched Rolf instead... :(

Aye, Rolf seemed so wholesome I don't recall anyone keeping their kids from watching him. Our youngest and his mates were big fans of Animal Hospital and Rolf's many other good works!

Just a suggestion, we should maybe - like - return to posting about Richard Hammond and/or any other petrolhead presenter in danger of death from poor safety or misuse of a high powered vehicle.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2014 at 12:30, Toast said:

Quite. Doesn't he have his own thread? If not, should this one be retitled to make it officially a Top Gear thread?

If this is the official Top Gear thread, then former long-time Top Gear producer and also former local politician Ken Pollock has died. Only seems to be on X right now (Tiff Needell has paid tribute) but I'm sure the link to serving his community will get him a local obit.

Link below is from 2016 to get some perspective of who he was. https://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/news/14977052.councillor-who-launched-his-own-tv-production-firm-calls-new-business-owners-brave-and-courageous/