Saint Peter

Death List Convention

D-o-G isn't Iain and he posts with a passion that suggests he'll be around a while and clear evidence of a sense of humour. There's more to our newcomer than the slips in English.

1. i use DL at work, so the time i get to make a post without getting caught is usually short. This explains my lack of thorough checking.

Ever hear of cut and paste?

Compose your witty, razor-sharp riposte in Word or somesuch at your leisure, complete with capital letters, punctuation and correctly constructed grammar.

Cut your text, then when you're ready, quickly nip in here, paste, post and be off quicker than your boss can clip you round the back of your head.

D-o-G isn't Iain and he posts with a passion that suggests he'll be around a while and clear evidence of a sense of humour. There's more to our newcomer than the slips in English.

Such an endorsement must surely be the DL equivalent of Dr. Harvey Crippen's recommendation to the General Medical Council that one Harold Shipman be granted a licence to practice medicine on the grounds that "he seems a thoroughly bloody good egg to me".

Such an endorsement must surely be the DL equivalent of Dr. Harvey Crippen's recommendation to the General Medical Council that one Harold Shipman be granted a licence to practice medicine on the grounds that "he seems a thoroughly bloody good egg to me".

:lol:

Right! ok, so i need to up my quality of posts, watch my spelling and grammar and change my avatar! anything else?

Perhaps you should also consider embracing the capital letter.

I'm not a receptionist, and i can't type. Everyday is a learning day though

Interesting. Are you suggesting that only receptionists and typists should be required to employ the English language correctly?

Right! ok, so i need to up my quality of posts, watch my spelling and grammar and change my avatar! anything else?

I'm not a receptionist, and i can't type. Everyday is a learning day though

Interesting. Are you suggesting that only receptionists and typists should be required to employ the English language correctly?

He probably is.

Wow, this fella is going great guns in making friends here. :lol:

I second this, it's very important. The capital letter is a must have)

And if you don't have it)

Then I guess you don't have much)

• Like 1

Nothing of the sort SC, you comin' to the convention, or what?

1. i use DL at work, so the time i get to make a post without getting caught is usually short. This explains my lack of thorough checking.

Compose your witty, razor-sharp riposte in Word or somesuch at your leisure, complete with capital letters, punctuation and correctly constructed grammar.

Cut your text, then when you're ready, quickly nip in here, paste, post and be off quicker than your boss can clip you round the back of your head.

Good idea honez. Thanks for the tip.

Whereas the latest trend over the pond is to replace the full stop with an italicised parenthesis.

Whereas the latest trend over the pond is to replace the full stop with an italicised parenthesis.

I thought an "italicised parenthesis" was something you caught if you didnt wear a condom.

I thought an "italicised parenthesis" was something you caught if you didnt wear a condom.

I've always heard that if you didn't close your parentheses you could get pregnant. (But not the first time.

• Like 1

As we all know Monoclinic is more intellectual then intellectual. I think Monoclinic is one of the worlds wonders, she is so brilliant. I mean this woman is not only classy, she is like a real life dictionary. I put her above most people and I look forward to all she has to offer us. Watch out! There is a woman with great sensitivity among us who can read most of you like a book. Yes she can read most of you like a book because her eyes can see through walls. I mean this monkey has estimations beyond the average mind, she is far out. The capacity she is able to provide is tremendous. It's a one time only, she is a one time only. There is only one of her.

As we all know Monoclinic is more intellectual then intellectual. I think Monoclinic is one of the worlds wonders, she is so brilliant. I mean this woman is not only classy, she is like a real life dictionary. I put her above most people and I look forward to all she has to offer us. Watch out! There is a woman with great sensitivity among us who can read most of you like a book. Yes she can read most of you like a book because her eyes can see through walls. I mean this monkey has estimations beyond the average mind, she is far out. The capacity she is able to provide is tremendous. It's a one time only, she is a one time only. There is only one of her.

I'd also like to refer you to LFN's post in your free associating thread...

Don't worry, I know you were being sarcastic.

As we all know Monoclinic is more intellectual then intellectual.

Obviously I am less intellectual then intellectual.

Your linguistic subtleties evade my feeble interpretation.

I shall just crawl back into my corner to await my holy army's ammo delivery, whilst I dream of obtuse angles in the warehouse.

If i wasted time using cut and paste, i still run the risk of losing my job due to not getting any work done. I will have to check DL, type my post in word, check it, copy it, open DL, check to see if anyone has already commented, swear that someone beat me to it, go back to word, re-write my post, copy, open DL, and finally paste.

Guest Mission

I have read this thread with interest. Just to re-cap, you are all basically saying that without a good grasp of the English language and diction you are not welcome to post here, is this correct? Whilst I feel everyone should have a good grounding in the English language, it is not always possible. Typing quickly whilst at work or generally running away with your comments is a given on every other forum I have visited. People that pick up on a lack of grammar are quite frankly rude. I hadn't realised this forum was run by scholars. May I suggest that if spelling is a high priority here that before registration you ask for a written essay and mark it accordingly. Leave the lad alone. He is showing an interest in this forum and has posted some valid info. Maybe you should have a separate section for the non-academics amongst you all. Would save you the trouble of having to belittle people. RANT OVER. I had shown an interest in this forum but I shall now exit.

Aye, yon gadgy above is reet, like.

As we all know Monoclinic is ... ectual.
Obviously ... I shall just ... await my holy army's ammo delivery, whilst I dream of obtuse angles in the warehouse.

You too have a holy army? honez, we should talk.

I'm not interested in any conventions or meetings.

I am not that sociable.

Besides, what's wrong with DL chat?

Windsor- I'll be in Ma Cameron's in Little Belmont St. in about half an hour.

I expect you to be there too.

Did he show?

Given that I got the message 3 hours late, no.

Well I was still there three hours later, you know.

I have read this thread with interest. Just to re-cap, you are all basically saying that without a good grasp of the English language and diction you are not welcome to post here, is this correct?

No, that is not correct. Anyone can post all the crap they like, but if they can't (and/or don't) write anything comprehensible then there's little point in them posting it in the first place.

I hate the term, but the Internet has been called the Information Superhighway. Information can be defined as "the meaning that a human assigns to data by means of known conventions used in their representation."

The important terms here are MEANING and CONVENTION. Without convention, meaning can be and often is misinterpreted.

You can post any old crap here following any convention you like, but don't expect glowing praise from people who would like to read and understand posts on the forum in what little time they have to look at them. Make it easy and I'm sure they'll go easy. Annoy the crap out of the regulars and they'll tell you what they think in no uncertain terms.

Oh, and a bit of dry wit never goes astray too. Apparently.

I'm not interested in any conventions or meetings.

I am not that sociable.

Besides, what's wrong with DL chat?

Windsor- I'll be in Ma Cameron's in Little Belmont St. in about half an hour.

I expect you to be there too.

Did he show?

Given that I got the message 3 hours late, no.

Well I was still there three hours later, you know.

I live an hour and a half from the city centre. Plus I was still in my work uniform.

[quote name='Notapotato' post='104027' date='Aug

I live an hour and a half from the city centre. Plus I was still in my work uniform.

Quite right Winnie, turning up for a first date in your work uniform is really bad form.

As well as that, I probably wouldn't have smelt that great given I had been working in a kitchen all day.

So lets recap.

I got the message at 9.25PM.

I would have to have a shower and get changed (+1 hour)

Get transport there (+1hr 30mins+).

I'd be in Aberdeen for around 11.55PM with no way of getting home until 6AM the following morning.

As well as all that, I made it as clearly as I politely could, that I did not really want to meet up.