Crispy

Saddam Hussein

It was reported in a British newspaper that he is likely going to be hung by Christmas.

Probably best for everyone if this is true. It will solve alot of DDP problems of selection morality (if there is such a thing).

Only if they could hang Saddam this January. He should be executed in about a month or so but I don't think the acctual time is yet certain.

It was reported in a British newspaper that he is likely going to be hung by Christmas.

Probably best for everyone if this is true. It will solve alot of DDP problems of selection morality (if there is such a thing).

Only if they could hang Saddam this January. He should be executed in about a month or so but I don't think the acctual time is yet certain.

The chief prosecutor said Saddam would probably be hanged in early February.

The chief prosecutor said Saddam would probably be hanged in early February.

Playing it safe they never did mention which year...

I guess the Iraqi's are not satisfied with one guilty verdict. :P

It's really an open & shut case on this one too. They'll have to wrap this case up pretty quickly if they're to follow through with the first guilty verdict. I could be wrong but the only appeal that I remember reading about that Saddam would go through with is more to be executed by firing squad rather than to be hanged.

He more or less said that if he were to be found guilty that is the way he'd want to go.

My understanding is that hanging is for your average person in the street, whereas firing squad executions are reserved for military leaders.

I am a little confused though with the reason for the 2nd trial and why they didn't just integrate it all in the same trial.

Wasn't the first one the charge of "crimes against humanity" and this one is on the charge of "genocide"? Aren't they really one and the same?

It's really an open & shut case on this one too. They'll have to wrap this case up pretty quickly if they're to follow through with the first guilty verdict. I could be wrong but the only appeal that I remember reading about that Saddam would go through with is more to be executed by firing squad rather than to be hanged.

He more or less said that if he were to be found guilty that is the way he'd want to go.

My understanding is that hanging is for your average person in the street, whereas firing squad executions are reserved for military leaders.

I am a little confused though with the reason for the 2nd trial and why they didn't just integrate it all in the same trial.

Wasn't the first one the charge of "crimes against humanity" and this one is on the charge of "genocide"? Aren't they really one and the same?

I guess that crimes against humanity is wide ranging whereas Genocide is pretty specific. As when the Spanish inquisition condemened the entire population of the Netherlands to death in 1568, there would need to be proof of intent. The Duke of Alava was sent to do the deed but the Dutch were unco-operative. Many died nonetheless.

I guess that crimes against humanity is wide ranging whereas Genocide is pretty specific. As when the Spanish inquisition condemened the entire population of the Netherlands to death in 1568, there would need to be proof of intent. The Duke of Alava was sent to do the deed but the Dutch were unco-operative. Many died nonetheless.

This has to be my favourite Saddam quote so far

"I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands," the former president told the court in a separate trial for genocide.

Genocide appears to be any mass killing by anyone who isn't American or Russian...

Because the convention required the support of the Soviet Union and the Communist bloc, it excluded actions undertaken by those nations. As a result, the convention excludes from the definition of genocide the killing of members of a social class, members of a political or ideological group, and that of cultural killings.

The United States became a state party to the convention in 1988, though only with the proviso that it was immune from prosecution for genocide without its consent

Genocide appears to be any mass killing by anyone who isn't American or Russian...

Because the convention required the support of the Soviet Union and the Communist bloc, it excluded actions undertaken by those nations. As a result, the convention excludes from the definition of genocide the killing of members of a social class, members of a political or ideological group, and that of cultural killings.

The United States became a state party to the convention in 1988, though only with the proviso that it was immune from prosecution for genocide without its consent

That would explain how the US has gotten away with that sort of thing for such a long time

Yesterday's Daily express:

The former dictator’s sentence could be carried out before Christmas – if not earlier – despite plans for an appeal.

So when exactly is earlier before Christmas?

Janury or February are good bets. I doubt if it would happen in 2006.

A New Hope - a ticker on the foot of the BBC News 24 said Saddam was to be executed before the end of 2006.

A New Hope - a ticker on the foot of the BBC News 24 said Saddam was to be executed before the end of 2006.

I've already posted that report above, RA.

I hope video footage of his execution finds it's way onto YouTube.

They had better wrap his current trial up pretty sharpest if he's to be hanged by the end of the year.

What do you think of his chances of being found not guilty on charges of genocide? :)

They had better wrap his current trial up pretty sharpest if he's to be hanged by the end of the year.

What do you think of his chances of being found not guilty on charges of genocide? :)

Can't they just try him after he is dead? Doesn't make much difference...

Octopus of Odstock Posted Today, 08:21 AM

QUOTE(Rotten Ali @ Nov 8 2006, 05:02 AM)

I've already posted that report above, RA.

Oh! OoO

Lattitude my dear OoO, I was still half asleep. With loads of points hingeing on it, when I saw it at 5am, I could not resist a quick post. This fluid time-line about Saddam's end game sounds like they are making it up as they go along. One comentator said the second trial would continue even if he were already dead, other people say it would help keep the second trial on course, since Saddam can't have input that could de-rail it. No matter what, the whole matter is a judicial quagemire, but I do like Godots quote about having a punt on the judge being bumped off.

Can't they just try him after he is dead? Doesn't make much difference...

He'd be a lot less trouble. Just have a taxidermied Saddam sitting in his chair.

Guest That Unregistered Bloke
Saddam escapes!

beta189.gif

LMFAO - that's hilarious! :P

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tiriti, all three to be hanged - <snip

They got a suspended sentence then :banghead: