Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Joseph Barbera

Guest Useless ranter
They showed some of my favourite HB cartoon (Stop the pigeon) on the news today as an example of the great man's work. The odd thing about the cartoon, though, was that no matter how far away from the aerodrome dastardly was when he or his crew had their inevitable crash/plummet scene, they always seemed to fall back through the roof of the hangar again. How the heck did that work? Now Mr B. is dead, I'll never know.

It was a cartoon stop trying to turn it into advanced aeronautics.

They showed some of my favourite HB cartoon (Stop the pigeon) on the news today as an example of the great man's work. The odd thing about the cartoon, though, was that no matter how far away from the aerodrome dastardly was when he or his crew had their inevitable crash/plummet scene, they always seemed to fall back through the roof of the hangar again. How the heck did that work? Now Mr B. is dead, I'll never know.

It was a cartoon stop trying to turn it into advanced aeronautics.

uh, useless ranter, maybe you should only come back here when you've developed an ability to detect irony

Dastardly and Muttley - one of the greats. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop and the Wacky Races. Hong Kong Phooey was great - Scatman Crothers was the perfect choice to voice that crazy dog. Ironically I was watching Top Cat when my husband told me Joe Barbera had died.

They were a huge part of my childhood - there was something very appealing about their cartoons. They were a nice counterpoint to Disney.

I saw that too and I've not been able to get "Stop the Pigeon" out of my head all day. There's an interesting take on Penelope Pitstop here

http://trashaddict.blogspot.com/

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Out of the DDP top 10. :o:huh:

Come on Gloria Stuart, it is your destiny :party:

By the way, sorry, and somewhat surprised, to see him go. He seemed still quite active, so I thought he might go on for a few years yet.

Yes and pushed out by a real death not some distant relative of JFK, world's oldest man or next in line war veteran. That's what I call poetic justice Octopus of Obscurity.

How´s that for a Christmas present!

This is themaninblack here, live from Spain, enjoying his 11th hit of the year (unfortunately not on

the DDP though..)

Season´s greetings..... :huh:

Season's Greetings . There seems to be a winter's harvest around here.

Everyone's clogs firmly in place since May, and then 2 in a row (my 2nd hit

after being deflowered by the death of Pinochet.)

You were deflowered by Pinochet? Oh you poor thing.....go see Edgar at once he will supply comforting comfort to you unless you are otherwise inclined.

-_-

You were deflowered by Pinochet? Oh you poor thing.....go see Edgar at once he will supply comforting comfort to you unless you are otherwise inclined.

Err..I think I may need time to heal.

How´s that for a Christmas present!

This is themaninblack here, live from Spain, enjoying his 11th hit of the year (unfortunately not on

the DDP though..)

Season´s greetings..... -_-

I only just found out about JB dying myself while leafing through the obits in yesterdays Times. Well done everyone, not a bad year all round.

I took him off my new list which started on Dec 1st because I read this bloody thread and found out he was still working!! ;)

Joseph Barbera - b. 1911. Despite his age, he seems very well & active. But DL didn't choose him for no reasons...

Octupus why didnt you elaborate??? ;)

Joseph Barbera - b. 1911. Despite his age, he seems very well & active. But DL didn't choose him for no reasons...

Octupus why didnt you elaborate??? ;)

DL rules stop me from revealing too many state secrets ;):)

Although a bit late, I'm pleased to see Mr Barbera coming in at a cool No 12 this year. We've not done so badly after all!

Of course, these last few deaths seem to have coincided with absence from the DL on my part: I am otherwhere for a while, and upon my return someone else has died. Coincidence? One wonders...

Anyhoo, go us! :banghead:

Nothing like dieing to get a bunch of pages written up about yourself. Before his demise he was barely noted here. Sad to see he died just for recognition.