Guest IYG

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, How long can they Carry On?

Having lived with the new Neil Young album for a goodly while now I'd have to say the critics slamming it as a hastily conceived indulgence, a pouring out of love for his current obsession with an eco friendly car etc have totally missed the point. It packs a goodly punch of rockin' riffs, searing short solos and - here's where most of those listening once have totally missed the point - it's also darkly comic in places. His straight faced irony is often lost on some of his American audience but the stream of references to those who brought the credit crunch down on us, and the heart-felt statement of hope that is the delicate ballad 'Light a Candle' make this a decent album. It certainly falls well short of the classics, but it's shoulder to shoulder with - say - Sleeps With Angels.

Re the dark humour, how about these lines from the title track?

I'm a big rock star

My sales have tanked

But I still got you

Thanks

I'm also loving Doves 'Kingdom of Rust' at present, but that's got nowt to do with the death chances of CSN or Y so best not to mention it.

Having lived with the new Neil Young album for a goodly while now I'd have to say .......it's shoulder to shoulder with - say - Sleeps With Angels.

I'm a big rock star, My sales have tanked, But I still got you, Thanks

I'm also loving Doves 'Kingdom of Rust' at present, but that's got nowt to do with the death chances of CSN or Y so best not to mention it.

Once again, MPFC, you have lured me into posting.

As King of the NY appreciation society, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

Live, the man is a genius. In fact, his new live film, directed by Jonathan Demme, Trunk Show, is from two phenominal nights in Philadelphia,

back at the end of 2007. I was lucky enough to be at one of the nights. Trunk Show (IMDB)

And the Doves sound better than ever on their 4th album. Can't wait to see them play in Philly in June.

So to the dude going to Glasto, just pray it doesn't rain like the weather debacles of 1997 and 1998. We justified back to back Glastonbury's, as we KNEW '97 was an anomaly and '98 was going to be perfect fine for weather. As usual, we were wrong. The Mud Fest of 1998 was even worse. Neil Young cancelled in 1997, which p*ssed me right off, but he was forgiven at a later date, with a smile and a handshake....the storms and conditions of Glasto '98 still linger large, and I've not been back since. this year's line-up is TASTY though....

Having lived with the new Neil Young album for a goodly while now I'd have to say the critics slamming it as a hastily conceived indulgence, a pouring out of love for his current obsession with an eco friendly car etc have totally missed the point. It packs a goodly punch of rockin' riffs, searing short solos and - here's where most of those listening once have totally missed the point - it's also darkly comic in places. His straight faced irony is often lost on some of his American audience but the stream of references to those who brought the credit crunch down on us, and the heart-felt statement of hope that is the delicate ballad 'Light a Candle' make this a decent album. It certainly falls well short of the classics, but it's shoulder to shoulder with - say - Sleeps With Angels.

Re the dark humour, how about these lines from the title track?

I'm a big rock star

My sales have tanked

But I still got you

Thanks

What's your favourite NY LP MPFC?

The whole point with NY is that he's so damn good having a favourite album is like having a favourite child. I'm doing well to narrow it down to around half a dozen.

Deffo keep going back to and loving:

After the Goldrush

On the Beach

Tonights the Night

Live Rust

Weld

Unplugged

Chrome Dreams II

I'll also confess to - unfashionably - loving Re.ac.tor and Broken Arrow which tend to get overlooked for general quality but simply sound great. Truth is, I've stacked those two in the changer this week with Fork in the Road and set the control to shuffle, and the results have kept me working away at my desk for hours without noticing the passing time.

The whole point with NY is that he's so damn good having a favourite album is like having a favourite child. I'm doing well to narrow it down to around half a dozen.

Deffo keep going back to and loving:

After the Goldrush

On the Beach

Tonights the Night

Live Rust

Weld

Unplugged

Chrome Dreams II

I'll also confess to - unfashionably - loving Re.ac.tor and Broken Arrow which tend to get overlooked for general quality but simply sound great. Truth is, I've stacked those two in the changer this week with Fork in the Road and set the control to shuffle, and the results have kept me working away at my desk for hours without noticing the passing time.

I'll confess to quite liking Greendale, his concept album about an imaginary town. He got so engrossed with the project, he made a film to go with it.

S'funny Greendale is one I didn't get on with too well. I reckoned the simple arrangement on the music didn't do full justice to the scope of the idea. Great lyrics though. In fact that one, Are You Passionate and Everybody's Rockin' are the trio I seldom play.

Rumour mill time so the following should be treated with caution, but......

CSN's website shows a Glastonbury a slot, fuelling the fairly obvious rumour that they'll play their own set and turn up onstage with Neil during his headlining performance. CSN are playing on 27th of June at Glasto, the same day Neil plays Hyde Park......but they have nowt scheduled for the days either side of that.

Im a bit of a musical thicky, however, may I throw

into the thread as a taster?

The hippy in me thinks its quality.

Maybe im easily pleased....

Re the archives set, not sure I'm gonna buy it - shock, horror - when you allow for the stuff already released and the fact that the other 'unreleased' stuff is widely bootlegged, there's not that much new. The one thing I don't have is Journey Through the Past on DVD, though if you've seen it once and posted on here a few years you'll know for certain life is too short. Somebody told me it's 1 hr 20 mins, I could've swort it was about three hours and the moral of the movie is that hippies and drugs combine to make unwatchable movies.

Young was truly awesome last night and was joined by Paul McCartney for the encore, Macca eventually bowing down to Neil in an 'I'm not worthy' gesture.......TRUE!

Given the other three also turning in a competent Glasto performance I wonder.......

Had someone walked into a bookies in 1989, slapped down £100 and said I bet that quartet will all be gigging a few days after Michael Jackson dies.....gimmee some odds, assuming the bookie had been able to comply.....how much would that bet be worth now?

Young was truly awesome last night and was joined by Paul McCartney for the encore, Macca eventually bowing down to Neil in an 'I'm not worthy' gesture.......TRUE!

Given the other three also turning in a competent Glasto performance I wonder.......

Had someone walked into a bookies in 1989, slapped down £100 and said I bet that quartet will all be gigging a few days after Michael Jackson dies.....gimmee some odds, assuming the bookie had been able to comply.....how much would that bet be worth now?

I dunno MPFC, I saw some of it on telly and I wasn't sure that they were all alive. Neil Young seemed to have had trouble putting his shirt on so wore only half of it. One of the others - don't know which one - was lurking cadaverously in the shadows most of the time. And was the music as good as the original recordings? It didn't sound so to me. What kind of roses did you use to tint your specs?

During minimally invasive neuroradiology procedures, doctors insert a catheter through the groin and into the brain, and small coils are used to clear up the bulge.

I might be revealing my complete lack of medical knowledge here, but surely there must be a closer place to insert. Maybe the Doctors got the bulges mixed up.

The femoral vein is one of the largest and easiest to locate for such procedures. Bit of a bugger if you 'blow' that one.

I dunno MPFC, I saw some of it on telly and I wasn't sure that they were all alive. Neil Young seemed to have had trouble putting his shirt on so wore only half of it. One of the others - don't know which one - was lurking cadaverously in the shadows most of the time. And was the music as good as the original recordings? It didn't sound so to me. What kind of roses did you use to tint your specs?

I did say CSN struck me as 'competent' in other words, I think like The Rolling Stones they're in that strange land where they serve as the best tribute band their younger selves could ever have, I;m guessing Young may outlive Stills and Crosby. Re Young's dress sense, I suggest acquainting yourself with his perverse stance in such matters, like his habit of wearing two clashing lumberjack shirts, one over the other, in the seventies. He's been playing that confused character for years, his career suggests he's smarter than he lets on.

Shakey and Macca get down in Hyde Park:

Poor old GNasher rarely gets a mention in this thread. Well, the fourth most talented songwriter in CSNY has been gonged by Her Maj, no doubt for services to the consumption of narcotics industry.

Thrilled Nash says, "I am grateful to be honoured by the country of my birth. That I couldn't escape from quickly enough when Crozzers threw me a bone."

Ben Keith

"Ben Keith, a steel guitarist and multi-instrumentalist who played alongside Neil Young for nearly 40 years, has died of unknown causes. He was 73. Highly skilled on the electric guitar, piano, alto saxophone and pedal-steel, he contributed to countless Young classics including "Heart of Gold," "Rockin' in the Free World," "Tonight's the Night" and "Old Man." "

Ben Keith

"Ben Keith, a steel guitarist and multi-instrumentalist who played alongside Neil Young for nearly 40 years, has died of unknown causes. He was 73. Highly skilled on the electric guitar, piano, alto saxophone and pedal-steel, he contributed to countless Young classics including "Heart of Gold," "Rockin' in the Free World," "Tonight's the Night" and "Old Man." "

He kicked the bucket while staying at Young's ranch. It's the Curse of Neil (Whitten, Berry, Nitzsche, Briggs, Palmer, Snodgress, Larson, Dewey Martin, Rick James, his kids etc), I tells ya. The only people immune are Crosby, Stills and fucking Nash.

his kids

I'd say Keith was no spring chicken and most of the others were smart enough to know the dangers re drugs etc. But his kids.......you suggesting some kind of Faustian pact between Neil and the Devil?

Ben Keith

He kicked the bucket while staying at Young's ranch. It's the Curse of Neil (Whitten, Berry, Nitzsche, Briggs, Palmer, Snodgress, Larson, Dewey Martin, Rick James, his kids etc), I tells ya. The only people immune are Crosby, Stills and fucking Nash.

And he wrote 'Like A Hurricane' and look what happened to him? :)

You've lost me......'Hurricane' is written by Neil Young alone, he's still breathing and remarkably healthy. Survived a scare that marks the start of this thread, and a few deaths and disasters around him.

Maybe I didn't phrase it right, but I was hinting at the demise of a certain fleet-footed purveyor of the green baize...

As of yesterday David Crosby is in his 70th year, unbelievable when you consider the state he was in in his mid-forties. I reckon he'll see 70, but not 80.

Ben Keith

The curse continues - Long May You Run?