DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

Rogert T. Forster (wiki), British neocharismatic Evangelical leader, reportedly dead on Wiki at 90. Can not find any source at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Mario E. Dorsonville, Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, in Louisiana, has died. He was 63.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/256595/bishop-of-houma-thibodaux-in-louisiana-dies-unexpectedly-at-63

Slow news day, huh?

1 minute ago, drol said:

Slow news day, huh?

So far. But, at least in the Eastern time zone, the day is still young. So who knows? :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

So far. But, at least in the Eastern time zone, the day is still young. So who knows? :)

Since I live in Europe I know it is morning when deaths from Asia are announced and evening when deaths from America are announced.

Incredibly useful when you live in a cave with no natural light.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, drol said:

Since I live in Europe I know it is morning when deaths from Asia are announced and evening when deaths from America are announced.

Incredibly useful when you live in a cave with no natural light.

I find that the best time for me to post deaths is the 10pm-2am EST slot, because there is little competition with the U.K./Europe asleep and us having few people from the west coast for sone reason.  I don’t post deaths much anymore but there it is.

On 26/08/2022 at 01:31, arghton said:

Small list of the oldest religious leaders with Wikipedia pages - born 1922 and before. Incomplete, and I might add 1923 and 1924 later. 

Bishops Manuel Edmilson da Cruz (1924), Serafín Luis Alberto Cartagena Ocaña (1924) and Gaetano Bonicelli (1924) not included, no English wiki page. Saifur Rahman Nizami not included - age fraud. Ramadan Dib (1920) and Non Nget (1922) also not included due to lack of wiki page.

*snip*

Colin Stannard (8 February 1924) United Kingdom

Church of England Archdeacon of Carlisle 1984-1993.

*snip*

You can scrub Colin Stannard (wiki) from this list. Just discovered he died in Aug 2023, aged 99 as per this death notice.

Means that Henry Wylie Moore (b. 1923) is the last Church of England bishop or archdeacon who served during WWII.

• Like 3

On 17/11/2021 at 16:35, arghton said:

Adding the two names from 1932...

Grand Ayatollah Muhammad Hussain Najafi Dhakku (10 April 1932-21 August 2023) Only Pakistani marja.

Ayatollah Sheikh Ali Orumian (1932-) Ancient former Assembly of Experts member.

Ali Orumian (Wikidead at 91

• Like 5

On 26/08/2022 at 01:31, arghton said:

Small list of the oldest religious leaders with Wikipedia pages - born 1922 and before. Incomplete, and I might add 1923 and 1924 later. 

Bishops Manuel Edmilson da Cruz (1924), Serafín Luis Alberto Cartagena Ocaña (1924) and Gaetano Bonicelli (1924) not included, no English wiki page. Saifur Rahman Nizami not included - age fraud. Ramadan Dib (1920) and Non Nget (1922) also not included due to lack of wiki page.

*snip*

Thomas Zhao Duomo (1924) China

Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Xuanhua. Apparently incumbent, so probably alive.

*snip*

Thomas Zhao Duomo (wiki) died in 2018 as per this 2022 news article. Also updated on Catholic Hierarchy now too.

Oldest Chinese Catholic bishop now drops 5 years to 1929 (unless he too is dead ofc).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thomas Zhao Duomo (wiki) died in 2018 as per this 2022 news article. Also updated on Catholic Hierarchy now too.

Oldest Chinese Catholic bishop now drops 5 years to 1929 (unless he too is dead ofc).

Melchior Shi Hongzhen was very much alive in late 2022, but still he is an underground bishop, so high possibility to die off-radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think from my list also Du Shuzhen and Karuna Mary might die off-radar (or might already have died). Shuzhen seems to be a small name with little information of her anywhere. No way any Chinese media would mention her death, too.

The frailest/most ailing on the list are probably Addold Mossin, Thích Thanh Từ, Moshe Sternbuch, Emmanuel Wamala and from the minor name bishops Emanuele Catarinicchia and Pedro Antônio Marchetti Fedalto. 

John Robert Gorman celebrated his 71st ordination anniversary last May with contemporaries Raymond Goedert and William Bill Flaherty. All three looked quite frail, but he's now the last of them as Goedert died in December and Flaherty earlier this month.

Ramadan Dib also doesn't look 103 at all. My guess is he's around 85.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arghton said:

I think from my list also Du Shuzhen and Karuna Mary might die off-radar (or might already have died). Shuzhen seems to be a small name with little information of her anywhere. No way any Chinese media would mention her death, too.

The frailest/most ailing on the list are probably Addold Mossin, Thích Thanh Từ, Moshe Sternbuch, Emmanuel Wamala and from the minor name bishops Emanuele Catarinicchia and Pedro Antônio Marchetti Fedalto. 

John Robert Gorman celebrated his 71st ordination anniversary last May with contemporaries Raymond Goedert and William Bill Flaherty. All three looked quite frail, but he's now the last of them as Goedert died in December and Flaherty earlier this month.

Ramadan Dib also doesn't look 103 at all. My guess is he's around 85.

You are completely right.

Emanuele Catarinicchia dead at 97.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Italian minor bishop Delio Lucarelli, 84, in hospice care.

On 27/01/2024 at 08:54, drol said:

Italian minor bishop Delio Lucarelli, 84, in hospice care.

Delio Lucarelli dead.

• Like 1

Jagadguru Rambhadracharya hospitalised with chest infection, but already on the mend.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, drol said:

Jagadguru Rambhadracharya

You and Arghton started making these names up ages ago and none of us noticed, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, drol said:

Jagadguru Rambhadracharyhospitalised with chest infection, but already on the mend.

Just now, msc said:

You and Arghton started making these names up ages ago and none of us noticed, right?

That's a great idea. I'm introducing to these forums Swarabguru Bajarpraktiyayaoabha, Bangladeshi Hindu leader born 1929 who's been suffering from octogenic premarital leukemia since the 1980s and Mufti Muhammad Al-Hadi Alhaylaab-Al-Islam, North Kenyan sunni islamic godman, statistician & professional coffee brewer born 1937.

Jokes aside, Rambhad...whateverhisnameis has been on my radar for a few months, last month I dedicated a post to him in the birthday thread. A religious leader, musician, educator, poet, composer and grammarian who can speak 22 languages and is considered a saint. Blind since he was two months old. Founder of Tulsi Peeth and author of Shriraghavkripabhashyam and Srisitaramasuprabhatam. My imagination isn't enough to make even half of all that up.

Wikipedia suprisingly has a lot of articles dedicated to him, atleast "Timeline of Rambhadracharya", "List of awards and honours received by Rambhadracharya" and "Works of Rambhadracharya". They are all as interesting to read as the 17000 words dedicated to Lisa Murkowski's political views.

• Like 6

Acharya Vidyasagar, Indian Digambar Jain monk and possibly the most prominent Jain leader, dead at 77.

Cause of death mentioned Sallekhana - fasted to death.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there only two Jain leaders aged over 75 with a Wiki page - Gyanmati Mataji and Ratnasundarsuri?

Edit: There's also British Jain monk/pacifist Satish Kumar (87) and Indian nun/guru Acharya Chandana (86). Sallekhana doesn't seem very common, unlikely any of these four will die that way.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 20:17, arghton said:

John Vikström (b. 1931) Paarma's predecessor.

K. G. Hammar (b. 1943) Former Archbishop of Uppsala and Primate of the Church of Sweden.

Gunnar Weman (b. 1932) Hammar's predecessor.

Anders Wejryd (b. 1948) As above.

Gerald B. Kieschnick (b. 1943) Former LCMS President.

H. George Anderson (b. 1932) Former Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Jan Paulsen (b. 1935) Former Seventh-day Adventists leader.

Swedish priest Gunnar Weman (Wikidead at 91, a day before his 92nd birthday (today)

image.png.660ce05dbd2ba4a8519ece9e01264cb7.png

• Like 3

Non Nget suceeds Tep Vong as interim patriarch.

Aged 103 (or 99) and gravely ill for years.

Today is the Iranian legislative election, so a lot of very old Ayatollahs have appeared to cast their votes. Some images below.

Grand Ayatollah Hossein Noori Hamedani (98):

ayatollahnoori.png.95f498f12adb349c034202ec38359a3b.png

Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati (97):

jannatiel.png.9c2143088955069e61a6e43e67850a23.png

Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirazi (97):

ayatollah1el.png.ac56073ab43b4c13b8ec1656e15a5802.png

Grand Ayatollah Ja'far Sobhani (94):

sobhanu.png.1cc172bad99843b9557638ab09c2e257.png

I'll add more to this post later today if I find any. Many of the 90+ ayatollahs are very "overdue" and clearly getting frailer.

• Like 3