DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

Just now, Tango854 said:

The Polish Home Army WERE the organized armed forces of the polish underground state you fucking moron.

Yes. You are correct. Do you really think everyone involved in the Polish resistance were part of an organized military organization? You really need to understand words if you’re going to make semantic arguments. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, arrowsmith said:

Yes. You are correct. Do you really think everyone involved in the Polish resistance were part of an organized military organization? You really need to understand words if you’re going to make semantic arguments. 

If they were partisans yes, because most partisan units WERE Organized MILITARY units!

And the polish home army were the ones behind the Warsaw uprising! So he WAS a partisan and WAS apart of an organized military unit!

Just now, Tango854 said:

If they were partisans yes, because most partisan units WERE Organized MILITARY units!

The key word there being most. You’re picking a fight without cause about a non-issue. The person in question was a child and participated in a somewhat organized/somewhat spontaneous uprising. I have no evidence that he was part of any organized military group. That was the distinction being made. Please try to understand before one of us dies. 

• Facepalm 1

Just now, arrowsmith said:

The key word there being most. You’re picking a fight without cause about a non-issue. The person in question was a child and participated in a somewhat organized/somewhat spontaneous uprising. I have no evidence that he was part of any organized military group. That was the distinction being made. Please try to understand before one of us dies. 

The Warsaw uprising was organized by the polish home army, which YOU said was an organized military unit, and therefore he was a member of the polish home army and as such a military veteran. 

1 minute ago, Tango854 said:

The Warsaw uprising was organized by the polish home army, which YOU said was an organized military unit, and therefore he was a member of the polish home army and as such a military veteran. 

Incorrect. Again please try to read things before posting. 

What I very clearly said was that one of the  living bishops was involved in the Warsaw uprising as a very young man. I have no evidence that he was part of any organized military group or someone who chose to be involved without any explicit involvement with an organized group. This is the issue with terms like partisan or underground. There were

many people involved, and many more of the living as the survivors get reduced to people involved in their youth, the involvement of children or teens was relatively nebulous at best. 

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

Incorrect. Again please try to read things before posting. 

What I very clearly said was that one of the  living bishops was involved in the Warsaw uprising as a very young man. I have no evidence that he was part of any organized military group or someone who chose to be involved without any explicit involvement with an organized group. This is the issue with terms like partisan or underground. There were

many people involved, and many more of the living as the survivors get reduced to people involved in their youth, the involvement of children or teens was relatively nebulous at best. 

Use your singular brain cell to figure out that this unnamed bishop was a member of the polish home army.

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

There’s nothing I enjoy of a morning more than a bitter argument over Polish armed forces (if I’m understanding this correctly).

Fight on till the death, you brave warriors! 

Not the Polish armed forces, the Polish Home Army which was the armed forces of the polish underground state. Similar but different.

Round two 

icegif-1756.gif

So, anyway, dragging this thread slightly closer to the CofE - they've just sacked the entire panel of (three) experts dealing with issues of sexual abuse in the church, BBC kept calm and reported it topped off with a photo of two blokes wearing dresses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65977524

_130168805_39195a0c6c1bbf7736728ec7dff81

On 17/12/2022 at 01:16, arghton said:

Jannati and Shirazi will both be 96 in a few months. Won't be sad deaths but I think they could live a few years more.

-. Mohammad-Reza Ashtiani Araghi (1940-) Former Member of Parliament

Many of these are also former DDP picks, most by a certain unmentioned team that picked a ton of random Ayatollahs in 2021.

Mohammad-Reza Ashtiani Araghi dead at 82. One cunt less, many other left.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2021 at 20:17, arghton said:

Sawa (Hrycuniak) (b. 1938) Archbishop of Warsaw and Metropolitan of All Poland since 1998.

Sawa (Hrycyuniak) hospitalised.

• Like 2

On 21/06/2023 at 22:55, maryportfuncity said:

So, anyway, dragging this thread slightly closer to the CofE - they've just sacked the entire panel of (three) experts dealing with issues of sexual abuse in the church, BBC kept calm and reported it topped off with a photo of two blokes wearing dresses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65977524

_130168805_39195a0c6c1bbf7736728ec7dff81

Note the irony of the "NO ENTRY"sign! :o

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 12:14, arghton said:

Georg Hille still alive, but his successor as the Bishop of the Diocese of Hamar 1993-2006, also the first woman bishop in the Church of Norway Rosemarie Köhndead at 83.

Georg Hille dead at 99

• Like 2

Second from your list today, Peter Takaaki Hirayama dead at 99.

• Like 2

Aaaand that's three!

Luigi Bettazzi dead at 99.

• Like 5

With the death of Luigi Bettazzi there are now only five Second Vatican Council Fathers and none from North America, Oceania, or Europe 

Francis Cardinal Arinze 90 (last to later be named a cardinal, last native African representative)

Alphonsus Mathias 95 (India)

José de Jesús Sahagún de la Parra 101 (last living bishop appointed by John XXIII, also last living South American representative)

Daniel Alphonse Omer Verstraete 98 (Belgian by birth but represented an African diocese, was an apostolic administrator while at the council and was named bishop later, last non-bishop council father)

Victorinus Youn Kong-hi 98 (South Korea)

• Like 3

The 97-year old Ahmad Jannati has been reelected as leader of the Iranian Guardian Council for another year, in spite of his ill health and his "difficulties communicating":

https://iranwire.com/en/politics/118680-97-year-old-cleric-jannati-re-elected-as-guardian-council-chief/

• Like 3

Gerrit Lösch, possibly the most powerful and most sane member in the Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body (and current longest-serving member) hasn't looked very great in recent months, atleast in my opinion:

gerrit.png.7b4168961046b36ada010803549f40af.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Gerrit Lösch, possibly the most powerful and most sane member in the Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body (and current longest-serving member) hasn't looked very great in recent months, atleast in my opinion:

gerrit.png.7b4168961046b36ada010803549f40af.png

Could you post this in the dying bigots thread instead?

On 17/12/2022 at 02:16, arghton said:

Jannati and Shirazi will both be 96 in a few months. Won't be sad deaths but I think they could live a few years more.

The original list has ayatollahs, maraji aged 90-101, they seem pretty tough. Here's the younger ones aged 80-90 - 

-. Hojatoleslam/Ayatollah Hassan Sane'i (1934-) Fundamentalist hardliner asshole and longtime member of the Member of Expediency Discernment Council. Has called for the execution of Salman Rushdie and even offered a bounty for it. Collapsed in 2016 and has been frail and mostly wheelchairbound since.

Iranian ultraconservative politician/cleric, Member of Expediency Discernment Council 1989-2022, Hojatoleslam Ayatollah Hassan Sane'i who put a bounty on Salman Rushdie's head, dead at 89. Good fucking riddance. (And yes, this too could've also gone into the dying bigots thread, but these people are unfortunately also religious leaders with quite large amounts of followers)

• Like 4