harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

American Football Players

How about a tweet from the Guardian saying that they have no plans to run a obit?

...I thought not.

This Jack Pardee obit just isn't going to come, huh?

Independent is your best hope. They tend to come in very late and at odd angles...

This Jack Pardee obit just isn't going to come, huh?

I'm quite relaxed about it right now. The problem was Pardee died 1) at Easter 2) at the same time as lot of other people but crucially, 3) outside the NFL season which I banked on.

Now The Independent is a good option, but I actually think it's very likely around September that Pardee will be mentioned - if only in a short sentence in a preview on the new season in a relevant online paper.Of course, if someone names anything after Pardee, then that may help too.

Hit number 11 isn't as crucial as I thought it might be (thus far), but I've never got 11 hits so I am hoping it will come through for a personal record.

I'm going to have one more shot at this Pardee obit before TMIB starts sending faecal matter through the post to me so I shut up. Does this count? Specifically, this bit:

9TsRyDs.png

I think the issue is that we accept the Guardian's obits that are just news feeds from Associated Press, so do we accept Sky using news feeds from a third party that also uses Associated Press? The story is on the Sky News site, it's fully accredited and has actually been "put" there by a Sky journalist, the question is does it count as it has come via two degrees of separation.

Now if anyone needs me I'm just gonna let these straws I'm clasping at go.

• Like 1

Huff Post AND CNN also covered it. The John McDowell obit last year was more dubious than the Sky feed but as a former host I understand Blackies position. However Spades argument is very good and I find it hard to argue against it from a news feed sense.

Have a look at your previous databases, Oc and see if there's an obit from Yahoo.co.uk. I'm pretty sure you've used one of thier obits before. For some reason my copies of the 2008 & 2009 databases are incomplete...

Will do. I'll try to see tonight

You can find those databases, bung them over to me by email so I can keep them for records...

Okay.

Bad news #1 = The databases were on my old laptop that died a terrible death. So I don't have them anymore

Good News #1 = I still have some historic details on ftp and email

So I've looked through the entire 2008 and 2009 "Graduates" and their obit source.

BBC, Telegraph, Guardian and the usual suspects make up a lot, Reuters weigh in with a good 15-20 or so, The Scotsman accounts for about 6

The only "unusual" obit comes from The Economist for Baba Amte. Now I think my thinking (or I was persuaded to think) was that this is a publication that is national, specific, without being too specific (i.e. not Autosport for motor racing or Dead Terminally Ill Mothers Weekly for all MPFC's picks :)), it covered a general theme and was UK based.

Bad News #2 or Good News #2 depends on whether you picked Pardee or not and whether the Amte obit is a precedent for Yahoo.co.uk, which, thus far, was NOT, as far as I can see, chosen for a UK obit, unless it's been snuck away somewhere.

I need a lie-down, until September, when I think a Pardee obit may yet turn up.

I'm sure I came across a yahoo obit at some point, unless I "upgraded" it at some point when a better obit came along. That's why my hazy memory thought it might have come from your era.

I'm a bit puzzled by your ftp mention. As surely your FTP is mine also (for the site) unless you have your own server squirreled away somewhere...

This whole obit-worthy conundrum has got me thinking about putting down a clear marker as to what does or doesn't count as a "British" obit or a possible work around....

I'm sure I came across a yahoo obit at some point, unless I "upgraded" it at some point when a better obit came along. That's why my hazy memory thought it might have come from your era.

I'm a bit puzzled by your ftp mention. As surely your FTP is mine also (for the site) unless you have your own server squirreled away somewhere...

I think I did have a Yahoo obit for someone and then upgraded it when a better one came along, like you think you might've done. Blow me if I can find any trace of it though. When I say "my" ftp, I saved or copied, rather, a couple of files as backup on another site I'm involved in (which don't go live) just in case. They aren't much and can probably delete them now

Okay.

Bad news #1 = The databases were on my old laptop that died a terrible death. So I don't have them anymore

Good News #1 = I still have some historic details on ftp and email

So I've looked through the entire 2008 and 2009 "Graduates" and their obit source.

BBC, Telegraph, Guardian and the usual suspects make up a lot, Reuters weigh in with a good 15-20 or so, The Scotsman accounts for about 6

The only "unusual" obit comes from The Economist for Baba Amte. Now I think my thinking (or I was persuaded to think) was that this is a publication that is national, specific, without being too specific (i.e. not Autosport for motor racing or Dead Terminally Ill Mothers Weekly for all MPFC's picks :)), it covered a general theme and was UK based.

Bad News #2 or Good News #2 depends on whether you picked Pardee or not and whether the Amte obit is a precedent for Yahoo.co.uk, which, thus far, was NOT, as far as I can see, chosen for a UK obit, unless it's been snuck away somewhere.

I need a lie-down, until September, when I think a Pardee obit may yet turn up.

Baba Amte also got a Times obituary.

Dead Terminally Ill Mothers Weekly for all MPFC's picks :)),

Isn't this a suplement that comes free with the Mail on Sunday?

Jack Butler NFL Hall Of Famer, who was an All Pro Cornerback for The Steelers in the 1950s had died at 85 after a long battle with staph infection.

Cullen Finnerty(who)

The starting QB who led Gran Valley State(where) to NCAA Division III titles in 2003,2005 and 2006 and briefly played for Baltimore Ravens went missing Sunday on a fishing trip and his body was found in the woods about a mile away Tuesday night.

Kind of shocking Daily Mail would kind of go that obscure and not give a certain former NFL Coach a write up earlier in the year

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

snapback.pngDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 1 2010, 07:31 PM, said:

Former American footballer Merlin Olsen is suffering from incurable mesothelioma.

Dead

Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones, who coined the term 'sack', has become the third of the Rams' 'Fearsome Foursome' to die.

Cullen Finnerty(who)

The starting QB who led Gran Valley State(where) to NCAA Division III titles in 2003,2005 and 2006 and briefly played for Baltimore Ravens went missing Sunday on a fishing trip and his body was found in the woods about a mile away Tuesday night.

Kind of shocking Daily Mail would kind of go that obscure and not give a certain former NFL Coach a write up earlier in the year

Do I detect a sense of Bitterness?

• Like 1