Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Italian cyclist Sante Gaiardoni, two times Olympic Champion (1000 m time trial and sprint) at the 1960 games in home soil, has died aged 84.

He was the winner of an older edition in the men's track time trial, now being the Frenchman Pierre Trentin )b. 1944), champion in 1968

In the Men's Individual Sprint category he was also the winner of an older edition, now being the Frenchman Daniel Morelon (b. 1944), champion in 1968

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 00:53, diego said:

Now Ingrid Wigernæs, born February 22, 1928, is the oldest living Norwegian Olympian. Wigernæs participated in three cross-country skiing events at two Winter Olympics, finishing 27th in the 10 km in 1956 and 15th and 12th in the 5 and 10 km events, respectively, in 1964. Oldest living Olympian to compete in the 1964 Innsbruck Olympics and now resides in Oslo

Norwegian skier Ingrid Wigernæs (Wikidead at 95

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Norwegian skier Ingrid Wigernæs (Wikidead at 95

Dagny Jørgensen is the oldest Norwegian Olympian now, born on March 22, 1929, she was an Alpine skier and participated in the 1952 Oslo Winter Olympics.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

American rower Dick Murphy, Olympic Champion at the 1952 Games, died on 8 August aged 91.

How can you tell these are the same person?  

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

How can you tell these are the same person?  

It’s the same birthday. The source was provided by Oldest Olympian so I consider it serious.

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

James L. Easton, President of the World Archery Federation from 1989 to 2005 and member of the IOC from 1994 to 2015 has died aged 88. Obit

Reaper: ‘Bulls-eye!’

4 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

It’s the same birthday. The source was provided by Oldest Olympian so I consider it serious.

You don’t find it odd a military obit doesn’t mention he was an Olympian?  You don’t find it odd that his Wiki page doesn’t mention he was in the military?  I think you’ve more work to do.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

You don’t find it odd a military obit doesn’t mention he was an Olympian?  You don’t find it odd that his Wiki page doesn’t mention he was in the military?  I think you’ve more work to do.

In this source it is mentioned that he was a military and 1st lieutenant

https://olympics.com/en/athletes/richard-frederick-murphy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Well, this isn’t my work.

I saw the info yesterday on Oldest Olympian facebook. They do say "he later served in the US Air Force" and they provide a link to back that up.

• Like 2

On 27/02/2022 at 14:26, whoismakoto said:

List of known living participants of 1948 London Olympics

Olympian

Birth date

Country

Sport

Comment

Joseph Bernardo

31/05/1929

France

Swimming

2-time medalist

Joseph Bernardo dead at 94.

• Like 5

John Rumble,  Canadian equestrian who won Bronze at the 1956 games has died aged 90. Obit

Hamish Hardie, British sailor who competed at the 1948 games has died aged 95. Times Announcement

I wonder if he was Scotland’s oldest living Olympian (He was born in Glasgow and died in Edinburgh.) 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 8:18 AM, The Old Crem said:

John Rumble,  Canadian equestrian who won Bronze at the 1956 games has died aged 90. Obit

Hamish Hardie, British sailor who competed at the 1948 games has died aged 95. Times Announcement

I wonder if he was Scotland’s oldest living Olympian (He was born in Glasgow and died in Edinburgh.)  

From what I saw it seems so, he was the oldest Scottish Olympian, as the oldest now that I have found is Jack Ferguson born on 4 April 1930 in Motherwell, played on the Water Polo team in 1952 and 1956

• Like 2

Michel Bertraneu died aged 74, the French rider competed in two events at the 1984 Summer Olympics. He also competed at the 1990 World Equestrian Games and the 1983 European Dressage Championships.
Bertraneu passed away on December 10

https://www.ffe.com/actualites/michel-bertraneu-ancien-cavalier-de-l-equipe-de-france-et-entraineur-de-dressage-s-en-est-alle

Michel Bertraneu

• Like 1

British swimmer Margaret Linton, unused substitute at the 1948 Games in the 4x100 relay but who competed in the same event in 1952, has died on 19 November aged 94.

• Like 3

Paul Litjens was born in Loon op Zand and died aged 76, he was a field hockey player for the Netherlands. He played 177 matches for the Dutch national team, scoring 268 goals, an international record he held from 1982 to 2004. He was part of the Dutch team that became World Champions in 1973 and participated in the 1972 and 1976 Summer Olympics. Olympics, the Dutch team came fourth. In 1981, Litjens and the Dutch national team won the Champions Trophy in Karachi. He was the top scorer at the 1976 Olympic Games and the 1981 Champions Trophy

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501539-oud-hockeyer-litjens-76-overleden-die-als-international-268-keer-scoorde

220px-Paul_Litjens_%281978%29.jpg

• Like 2

Cuban light middleweight boxer Rolando Garbey, Silver medalist in 1968 and Bronze Medalist in 1976, has died aged 76.

Garbey and Enrique Regueiferos (in light welterweight) were the first medalist for Cuba in Boxing.

He also competed in the 1972 Games but lost in quarterfinals.
In 1974, he became the first light middleweight World Champion in the inaugural tournament.

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Like 2