Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Could have gone into the Military Commanders thread, but I choose here.

Sir Norman Arthur, competed for GB in the Equestrian Eventing competition at the 1960 Games, reportedly dead aged 92: 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Could have gone into the Military Commanders thread, but I choose here.

Sir Norman Arthur, competed for GB in the Equestrian Eventing competition at the 1960 Games, reportedly dead aged 92: 

His successor as GOC Scotland, Sir John MacMillan (wiki) has been an Olympian in 1952 as well. Turns 92 next February.

• Like 2

Janusz Gortat died aged 75, was born in Brzozów and was a Polish boxer who represented his native country at two consecutive Summer Olympics, starting in 1972. In both tournaments he won the bronze medal in the light heavyweight category (-75 kg) after being defeated in the semi-finals by the eventual winners (Leon Spinks of the United States in 1976 and Mate Parlov of Yugoslavia in 1972).
Tough week for former Olympic boxers

https://sport.se.pl/sporty-walki/boks/legenda-polskiego-boksu-nie-zyje-janusz-gortat-zmarl-w-wieku-75-lat-dwukrotny-medalista-olimpijski-byl-ojcem-marcina-gortata-aa-FNRU-QTpb-EzUq.html

220px-Janusz_Gortat_by_S%C5%82awek.jpg

Report that David Maxwell, GB rower who competed at the 1972 and 1976 Games, winning silver in the men's eight at the latter Games, has died: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Michael Craig died aged 92 on 20 Nov, was captain of the Australian men's hockey team at the 1960 Olympics, was awarded Life Membership of Hockey Australia in 2016 and was named in the Camberwell Hockey Club's Team of the Century

https://www.hockey.org.au/news/vale-michael-craig/

kjwztfpprd1mppb6.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 9:41 AM, diego said:

He was the oldest known Olympic shooter, who now happens to be Venezuelan Enrique Lucca, born on December 23, 1923, who also participated in the breaststroke event and came in 25th place

It was discovered that Enrique Lucca died on Sep 15, 2021 off the radar, so the oldest known Venezuelan Olympian is cyclist Julio César León, who was born on Feb 2, 1925 and participated in the 1948 Olympics.

Enrique Lucca's wiki still lists him as alive, if anyone can update...

https://olympstats.com/2023/12/20/two-australian-field-hockey-olympians/

• Like 1

Another military commander who competed.

Death notice for Major General James Templer aged 87, who competed (pretty unsuccessfully by the looks of it) for GB at the 1964 Games in both the individual and team equestrian eventing events: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/templer-notices_54929

He did win a Gold at Burghley in the 1962 Individual equestrian event.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Another military commander who competed.

Death notice for Major General James Templer aged 87, who competed (pretty unsuccessfully by the looks of it) for GB at the 1964 Games in both the individual and team equestrian eventing events: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/templer-notices_54929

He did win a Gold at Burghley in the 1962 Individual equestrian event.

1960 and 1964 were poor years for GB eventing after winning the team event in 1956 and then winning again in 1968 and 1972. And then not again until the most recent games. For someone with bad nerves like me watching Eventing and Show jumping is a stressful event. 

• Like 1

British Shooting has posted on its Instagram page that Carol Bartlett, pistol shooter who competed at the 1984 and 1996 games and won two medals at the 1994 Commonwealth games died in October. As her birthday was that month she was either 74 or 75.  No other obit seems to exist and her wiki has Niro yet been updated. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/C1HnQzsonge/?hl=en

(Sorry I have forgotten how to embed Instagram posts.)

• Like 4

Armando Sardi, Italian sprinter who competed at the 1960 games has died aged 83. Obit (In Italian). 

Martin Feeley, Irish rower who competed at the 1976 games has died aged 73. Obit

Giulio De Stefano, Italian sailor who won a bronze medal at the 1960 games has died aged 94. Obit (In Italian).

Dimas Filgueiras, Brazilian footballer who competed at the 1964 games has died aged 79. Obit (In Portuguese).

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

Shahruddin Abdullah was born in Penang and died in Taiping, Perak, aged 75, and was a Malaysian footballer. He was once one of the country's most feared strikers, known as "Harimau Malaysia" because of his goal-scoring ability. He once scored 15 goals for Malaysia in the Merdeka Cup, a record for a long time, and was part of the Malaysia national team. Malaysia at the 1972 Summer Olympics, In 2004 he was inducted into the Malaysian Olympic Council Hall of Fame

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/12/28/former-national-football-striker-shaharuddin-abdullah-dies-at-75

2461028.jpg

Marcia Garbey Cuban long jumper who competed at the 1968 and 1972 games has died aged 74. Obit (In Spanish). 

Chang Chih-chia, Taiwanese baseball player who competed at the 2004 and 2008 games has died aged 43. Obit

Carmen Valero, Spanish middle distance runner who competed at the 1976 games has died aged 68. Obit (In Spanish).

Walter LeiserSwiss rower who won a silver medal at the 1952 games has died aged 92. Obit (In German). 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Rafael VallePuerto Rican basketball player who competed at the 1960 games has died aged 85. Obit (In Spanish).

Osvaldo Lara, Cuban sprinter who competed at the 1980 games has died aged 68. Obit (In Spanish). 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Some below have already been informed but they were the oldest in some categories, I will inform them below and their successors,As stated on the website Final 2023 Updates to Oldest Olympian Titleholders | OlympStats

Austrian water polo player Franz Zigon, born on March 9, 1924, died in July, aged 99, he competed in the 1952 games, he was the oldest living Austrian Olympian and Olympic water polo player. His successor in the former category is Egon Schöpf, born October 16, 1925, who competed in three alpine skiing events across two editions of the Games: 1948 and 1952. For the latter title, the new holder is Edson Perri, born June 5, 1928, who represented Brazil in the tournament at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.

Franz-Zigon.webp

Ingrid Wigernæs, born on February 22, 1928, died on December 2, aged 95. As I had already posted here, she was the oldest living Norwegian Olympic athlete, and I also posted her successor (Dagny Jørgensen, born on March 22, 1929), and was also the oldest living athlete who competed in the 1964 Olympics, who is now Argentine Héctor Tomasi, born on July 5, 1928, who also competed in 1948 and 1952.

Ingrid_and_Leif_Wigernaes_1966.jpg

Another that has already been posted here is Jo Bernardo, born on May 31, 1929, died on December 6, aged 94, he was the oldest living Olympic swimming medalist, a title that today goes to Australian Nancy Lyons, born on April 12, 1930, who won the silver medal in the 200 meter breaststroke at the 1948 London Games and also competed in that event in 1952.

Jo-Bernardo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, diego said:

Some below have already been informed but they were the oldest in some categories, I will inform them below and their successors

Austrian water polo player Franz Zigon, born on March 9, 1924, died in July, aged 99, he competed in the 1952 games, he was the oldest living Austrian Olympian and Olympic water polo player. His successor in the former category is Egon Schöpf, born October 16, 1925, who competed in three alpine skiing events across two editions of the Games: 1948 and 1952. For the latter title, the new holder is Edson Perri, born June 5, 1928, who represented Brazil in the tournament at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.

Franz-Zigon.webp

Ingrid Wigernæs, born on February 22, 1928, died on December 2, aged 95. As I had already posted here, she was the oldest living Norwegian Olympic athlete, and I also posted her successor (Dagny Jørgensen, born on March 22, 1929), and was also the oldest living athlete who competed in the 1964 Olympics, who is now Argentine Héctor Tomasi, born on July 5, 1928, who also competed in 1948 and 1952.

Ingrid_and_Leif_Wigernaes_1966.jpg

Another that has already been posted here is Jo Bernardo, born on May 31, 1929, died on December 6, aged 94, he was the oldest living Olympic swimming medalist, a title that today goes to Australian Nancy Lyons, born on April 12, 1930, who won the silver medal in the 200 meter breaststroke at the 1948 London Games and also competed in that event in 1952.

Jo-Bernardo.jpg

You could have just linked to @Canadian Paul's blog post here, without plagiarising it and trying to pass it off as your own work, you absolute cretin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You could have just linked to @Canadian Paul's blog post here, without plagiarising it and trying to pass it off as your own work, you absolute cretin. 

I put the source in another post, at the Winter Olympics, whoever opened it there saw it, I put it here too now

Congratulations to Paul, a job well done and I really admire him, I didn't know this site was his

On 1/2/2024 at 7:58 AM, The Old Crem said:

Marcia Garbey

She was the champion of an older edition of the Central American and Caribbean Games in the women's long jump (1974) Shonel Ferguson (Bahamas) was champion in 1978 and is 66 years old and is her successor

On 09/06/2023 at 13:54, diego said:

Jack Whitford, born in 1924 is Great Britain's oldest living Olympian now?

Jack Whitford (wiki) WAS Great Britain's oldest living Olympian, but he died on 5 June 2023, aged 99. Obit here. His Wiki was only just updated by Canadian Paul so I assume nobody spotted the obit before now.

Hopefully nobody picked him in the DDP!

Domini Lawrence (wiki), 98, is now Britain's oldest living Olympian. She was an equestrian at the 1968 and 1972 Olympics. Lives in Eastbourne as of 2021.

• Thanks 3