Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

The new Equity magazine appears to be out, however not on the Equity website as yet.

Anyway, Hadoke reports the deaths of Jim McManus (IMDB) and Richard Kane, both of whom are only mentioned here. Derek Smith mentioned the Detective thread as dead also appears to be confirmed dead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The new Equity magazine appears to be out, however not on the Equity website as yet.

Anyway, Hadoke reports the deaths of Jim McManus (IMDB) and Richard Kane, both of whom are only mentioned here. Derek Smith mentioned the Detective thread as dead also appears to be confirmed dead:

Where can I read online?

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

That means that Anneke Wills is the last surviving actor from Power of the Daleks. Bringing the number of episodes with only one survivor to two (the other being The Deadly Assassin having just Tom Baker)

• Like 3

Katy Manning has visited Richard Franklin again...

• Like 1

FWIW, some photos from an unveiling of a plaque at the Patrick Troughton Theatre this week. Plenty of Dr Who alumni still in fine health.

With Frazer Hines and Sylvester McCoy. Photo by Peter Fuller. Frazer Hines (~79), Sylvester McCoy (~80) and Madeline Smith (~74 - not actually in Dr Who)

With Roxanne Troughton, Carole Ann Ford, Sophie Aldred, Jo Troughton, Chris Tranchell, Martin Spellacey, Dave Greenham, Peter Fuller and Gary Hopkins. Carole Ann Ford (in orange - 83), Chris Tranchell (sitting - 82), Sophie Aldred too but still too young!

• Like 4

Have seen a couple of posts on Twitter and Facebook that Tomorrow Person  Peter Vaughan-Clarke has passed away. 

Peter Vaughan-Clarke 23.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

I'm bored so I thought I’d write up the statistics for Modern Doctor Who credited actor deaths by Series.

Series 1 - 4 deaths (Meic Povey, Jennifer Hill, Basil Chung, Vilma Hollingbery)

Series 2 - 11 deaths (Elisabeth Sladen, Helen Griffin, Mona Hammond, Roger Lloyd-Pack, Christopher Driscoll, Margaret John, Bella Emberg, Edna Dore, Derek Acorah, Anthony Debaeck, Barbara Windsor)

Series 3 - 7 deaths (Howard Attfield, Robert Demeger, Judy Norman, Bridget Turner, Georgine Anderson, Derek Smith, Louis Mahoney)

Series 4 - 9 deaths (Bernard Cribbins, Clive Swift, Geoffrey Palmer, Nigel Terry, Paul O’Grady, Elisabeth Sladen, Edmund Kente, Barry Howard, June Whitfield)

Series 5 - 10 deaths (Marcello Magni, Arthur Cox, David de Keyser, Patrick Moore, Jonathan Battersby, Terrence Hardiman, Helen McCrory, Michael Percival, Audrey Ardington, Stephen Moore)

Series 6 - 8 deaths (Meg Wynn Owen, Michael Gambon, William M. Sheppard, Adrian Schiller, Rashid Karapiet, Lynda Baron, Sean Buckley, Bill Turnbull)

Series 7 - 6 deaths (Byrd Wilkins, Peter Cartwright, James Greene, David Warner, Diana Rigg, John Hurt)

Series 8 - 3 deaths (John Sessions, Harry Dickman, Joan Blackman)

Series 9 - 1 death (Neil Fingleton)

Series 10 - 1 death (Ysanne Churchman)

Series 11 - 2 deaths (Ian Gelder, David Dukas)

Series 12 - 3 deaths (Thapelo Maropefela, Ian Gelder, Willie Jonah)

Series 13 - 1 death (William Russell)

Series 14 currently has no deaths but does have actors in their 90s (Gabriel Woolf, Sian Phillips, June Hudson) but only half of the actors above are actually ‘old’ with the youngest being 25. There are also 16 Torchwood actors who have died, 10 Sarah Jane Adventures actors and currently 0 from Class.

Episode wise there’s a number of episodes with 2 or 3 deaths coincidentally the episodes with 4 deaths are back to back being The End of Time (Cribbins, Whitfield, Sladen, Howard) and The Eleventh Hour (Magni, Cox, de Keyser, Moore) and both episodes have 2 living cast members who are getting on in years (Claire Bloom, Alister Bain & Annette Crosbie, William Wilde).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Episode wise there’s a number of episodes with 2 or 3 deaths coincidentally the episodes with 4 deaths are back to back being The End of Time (Cribbins, Whitfield, Sladen, Howard) and The Eleventh Hour (Magni, Cox, de Keyser, Moore) and both episodes have 2 living cast members who are getting on in years (Claire Bloom, Alister Bain & Annette Crosbie, William Wilde).

Good work. The Eleventh Hour is a bit too recent for my liking to have so many deceased cast members!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, msc said:

Good work. The Eleventh Hour is a bit too recent for my liking to have so many deceased cast members!

I suppose but the episode does just have an older cast in general Moore was 87 at transmission and 89 at death, de Keyser was 83 at transmission and 93 at death, Cox was 76 at transmission and 87 at death. Magni who was 51 at transmission and 63 at death, is really the only one of the four to die young. And, although it may not seem that way, 13 years is quite a long time (sorry if that makes you feel old).

On 17/08/2021 at 00:50, msc said:

8.    1930 – Henry Lincoln, Shirley Cooklin, Roy Evans. David Garfield, Henry Woolf, Lillias Walker, Gary Watson, Brian Peck, Maureen Heneghan, Henley Thomas

Lillias Walker reportedly died back on 10th August: 

The menacing Sister Lamont in Terror of the Zygons. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The menacing Sister Lamont in Terror of the Zygons. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Lillias Walker was also actor Peter Vaughan's widow, if it's of any interest.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lillias Walker was also actor Peter Vaughan's widow, if it's of any interest.

Makes it all the more inexplicable why Vaughan didn't appear on the show himself. Would have made a great villain in the Tom Baker era.

On 17/08/2021 at 00:50, msc said:

1945 – Conrad Asquith

The latest issue of Doctor Who magazine reports the off-the-radar deaths of...

Conrad Asquith (The Talons of Weng-Chiang) died September 2020

David Cannon (The Mind Robber) died July 2020

Freddy Foote (The Wheel in Space) died February 2022

and three un-credited actors Dorian Van Bramm died December 2020, Iain Smith died July 2022 and Dave Mobley died October 2022.

• Like 4

On 22/11/2022 at 15:24, Gisooo said:

Peter Thompson is still living at 97 according to Doctor Who page on Twitter, recently they make some posts for the oldest actors and he was mentioned, not sure about Hung Lund (he was not mentioned so probably dead or not???) 

The Doctor Who Cast & Crew blog has Peter Thompson listed as dead in 1999 (link - scroll to his name) they're usually quite a reliable source (they correctly pointed out Lund's death) but I can't find anything to back this up, including the GRO.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 12:01, YoungWillz said:

The Big Finish?

Barrowman is a bit of a drama queen. Worked with Mel Brooks on The Producers. Worked with Sandi Toksvig on QI. Are either of these a possibility? Has a relative bought the farm, or has a beloved pet gone to that farm upstate?

Be nice of him to be straight with his fans for once.

His mum is in very frail health. Dunno if that was mentioned. Much nicer person than her son imo.

16 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

The Doctor Who Cast & Crew blog has Peter Thompson listed as dead in 1999 (link - scroll to his name) they're usually quite a reliable source (they correctly pointed out Lund's death) but I can't find anything to back this up, including the GRO.

@msc?

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@msc?

Peter Thompson I drew a dead end with as common name, obscure actor, etc. He was believed to be around to lack of evidence to the contrary, but its recently come to light that he died in 1999. The source is one of the more trustworthy researchers on Gallifrey Base, whom posts under a pseudonym but is known by Toby and others in real life and been vouched for. I don't have access to their research though, just that it's accurate.

I stand by my comments from 2021 - Doctor Who Cast and Crew are useful, but they do often assume folk are alive due to no obvious evidence online of death. It turns out Hugh Lund was actually alive when I last updated that list (briefly), but my scepticism on Thompson proved accurate!

Anyhow, I suspect vast numbers of uncredited names died long off the radar. It's why I tend to ignore them unless they are notable in their own right like Harry Fielder, Derek Martin and so on. Not to be harsh but for example, monster actor Dave Carter is apparently still alive but has been MIA from the public so long you could spend weeks looking for him and be none the wiser. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, msc said:

Anyhow, I suspect vast numbers of uncredited names died long off the radar. It's why I tend to ignore them unless they are notable in their own right like Harry Fielder, Derek Martin and so on. Not to be harsh but for example, monster actor Dave Carter is apparently still alive but has been MIA from the public so long you could spend weeks looking for him and be none the wiser. 

One of those sort of actor's who irritates me is Steve Brunswick who played a Sentry in The Time Warrior and that's the only role he's ever had. That episode in particular only has 2 other living actors being Donald Pelmear who's just turned 99 and David Daker who's not far off 90 himself and retired from acting a decade ago meaning that if both of them died it wouldn't be known if the complete cast of the serial is dead. I doubt information will come out about him, unless he is alive and news of his death (when it happens) finds it's way to Hadoke, Cast & Crew or DW Magazine.

4 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Elizabeth Norman (IMDb) reported dead, had a small role in The Invisible Enemy and a few other tele bits.

Confused by this one. How do you link that death report to the television actress?

• Like 1