Death in Vegas

Time Added

Okay, here is my list (yes, yes I know Godot, I plead guilty to liking lists!) of footballers/football related people who are plain darn ill. There's enough here for a whole team on the DDP - in fact, probably two (though there's already one anyway).

Not Ill But Old - again, all obits assured

Gil Merrick - 86, ex Birmingham & England - remarried in 2008 so might be okay for now...

Francisco Varallo - 98, ex-Argentina, played in 1st World Cup final. Seems well for age.

Sir Tom Finney - 86, ex-Preston & England - one of greatest living footballers. Seems well.

Nat Lofthouse - 82, ex-Bolton & England - okay health, but has looked very frail in recent years

Phil Taylor - 90, ex Liverpool manager, England player - good health for age. Oldest ex-England player

Bert Williams - 88, ex-Wolves & England - appears well for age.

Ivor Broadis - 86, ex-Carlisle, Sunderland & England - okay for age, but noticeably frailer

Bill Foulkes 76 - ex Manchester Utd & England - looked incredibly frail at Munich 50th anniversary

I know there's others I've forgotten & others that could be added yet - certainly plenty to choose from...

An interview with Gil Merrick was just shown before the Brum-Villa game. He looked well; must be getting his oats.

• Like 1

Ex Nigeria international goalie Best Ogedegbe has died from a brain tumour.

I particularly like the sentence in this report where his his wife is identified as 'Mrs Ogedegbe'!

His wife, Mrs Ogedegbe, who works at the BCOS, Ibadan, said...

Ex Nigeria international goalie Best Ogedegbe has died from a brain tumour.

I particularly like the sentence in this report where his his wife is identified as 'Mrs Ogedegbe'!

His wife, Mrs Ogedegbe, who works at the BCOS, Ibadan, said...

"The widow Ogedegbe" would have served just as well.

Former Manchester United player and a survivor of the Munich air disaster, Albert Scanlon, is critically ill with pneumonia and kidney problems.

From Wiki, complete list of survivors. Some of the marginal figures - like Rosemary Cheverton - will probably get a mention in the press when they go. Worth keeping an eye one. Foulkes is 77, the other surviving players are around the same age. All of the players will get a mention when they die.

Survivors

Crew

Margaret Bellis, stewardess (died 1998)[31]

Rosemary Cheverton, stewardess

George William "Bill" Rodgers, radio officer (died 1997)[32]

Captain James Thain, pilot (died 1975)[33]

Passengers

Manchester United players

Johnny Berry (never played again, died 1994)[34]

Jackie Blanchflower (never played again, died 1998)[35]

Bobby Charlton

Bill Foulkes

Harry Gregg

Kenny Morgans

Albert Scanlon

Dennis Viollet (died 1999)[36]

Ray Wood (died 2002)[37]

Manchester United staff

Matt Busby, manager (died 1994)[38]

Journalists and photographers

Ted Ellyard, Daily Mail telegraphist (died 1964)[citation needed]

Peter Howard, Daily Mail photographer (died 1996)[citation needed]

Frank Taylor, News Chronicle reporter (died 2002)[39]

Other passengers

Vera Lukić and baby daughter Venona, passengers saved by Manchester United player Harry Gregg. At the time of the accident, she was pregnant with her son Zoran, who also survived.[40]

Mrs Eleanor Miklos, wife of Bela Miklos

Nebosja Bato Tomašević, Yugoslavian diplomat

Sarfend United latest senior English club to look over the precipice. Long may it continue, I mean; Carlisle's 3 points last Saturday against a team with only four players on the bench was a boost to our flagging season. -10 points to Southend and them limping on to another woeful afternoon on March 20th would suit us just fine, especially with the similarly docked Southampton storming out of the bottom four.

Hannover 96 captain and occasional German international keeper Robert Enke has died aged 32 in a car accident according to the BBC ticker. Although his entry on the Wikipedia recent deaths page has changed from "train collision" to "bacterial infection" to "apparent suicide", so who knows.

Hannover 96 captain and occasional German international keeper Robert Enke has died aged 32 in a car accident according to the BBC ticker. Although his entry on the Wikipedia recent deaths page has changed from "train collision" to "bacterial infection" to "apparent suicide", so who knows.

Suicide by train crash apparently, probably leading to some sort of bacterial infection :-)

Suicide by train crash apparently, probably leading to some sort of bacterial infection :-)

It's the topic of the moment here in Hannover.

He's had a hard time of it recently what with his daughter dying and his being ill and everything.

The speculation on the street says it could be that his illness turned out to be something very nasty and terminal.

Clearly throwing onesself in front of a train is also terminal. Not to mention very nasty, in particular for the train driver and the people who have to scrape up your remains. There are many more social ways of killing yourself.

It's the topic of the moment here in Hannover.

He's had a hard time of it recently what with his daughter dying and his being ill and everything.

The speculation on the street says it could be that his illness turned out to be something very nasty and terminal.

Clearly throwing onesself in front of a train is also terminal. Not to mention very nasty, in particular for the train driver and the people who have to scrape up your remains. There are many more social ways of killing yourself.

yeah, but being a footballer, he's probably used to training every day.

ouch!

David James attempted the same thing once but ended up looking at his watch and muttering; 'Fuck this waiting, I'm off.'

David James attempted the same thing once but ended up looking at his watch and muttering; 'Fuck this waiting, I'm off.'

That's not true. James would haved MISSED the train. :)

Spurs goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini is in hospital with "possibly life-changing" injuries after crashing his motorbike.

On a life-affirming note I discovered the other day that 93 year old Ivor Powell who managed Carlisle between 1960 and 1963, is STILL COACHING at Team Bath.

On a life-affirming note I discovered the other day that 93 year old Ivor Powell who managed Carlisle between 1960 and 1963, is STILL COACHING at Team Bath.

Biography, teambath.com:

Ivor was the seventh son of a seventh son

Apart from being able to coach at 93, what other magic powers does he have?

Any of these?

wikipedia:

The seventh son of a seventh son is also widely believed to have a direct link to Satan in some areas, and is thus granted with other "special abilities." These include but are not limited to x-ray vision, super-smelling and an eleventh finger that can be made to appear or disappear at will

x-ray vision - great, brilliant; super-smelling - may be advantageous in certain situations; "...an eleventh finger that can be made to appear or disappear at will" - now I'm struggling. What possible use is this? Answers on a postcard please!!

Former mexico international striker Antonio de Nigris has died of a heart attack at age 31, in Larissa, Greece, where he had been playing.

Another one I didn't realise was still breathing; Jackie Sewell, 87 years old, just published his biography and - at one time - the holder of the highest transfer fee in history.

MPFC - ref Ivor Powell. He comes to watch Exeter City play quite often. When our manager (Sir) Paul Tisdale was at Team Bath, Ivor was his assistant and he is rumoured to have declined the offer to come along to Exeter, preferring to stay put. Although he is always offered a seat in the directors box when he comes to Exeter, he often watches matches stood on the terraces and is more than willing to chat to anyone who wants a word with him. I think he took part in a charity penalty shoot out at half time a couple of seasons ago and scored. I really like him - he's a bit like an much older, much shorter, Welsh version of Alex Ferguson.

Another one I didn't realise was still breathing; Jackie Sewell, 87 years old, just published his biography and - at one time - the holder of the highest transfer fee in history.

Shouldn't you be out taking advantage of the weather, snorkelling, kayaking or summat? :smiley_f:

Edit - Sorry, just seen you have a Maryport thread.

Former Manchester United player and a survivor of the Munich air disaster, Albert Scanlon, is critically ill with pneumonia and kidney problems.

Albert Scanlon has died aged 74, which is exactly why I'm not submitting my DDP team yet...

Oh dear. How about replacing him with Brian Godfrey, former Exeter City Manager, who also captained Aston Villa and was capped by Wales? He has leukaemia.

• Like 1