Death in Vegas

Time Added

Guest WIGGLE
Gil Merrick - 86, ex Birmingham & England - remarried in 2008 so might be okay for now...

An interview with Gil Merrick was just shown before the Brum-Villa game. He looked well; must be getting his oats.

His oats must've gone missing. He's dead. http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-spor...97319-25765764/

Former Manchester United player and a survivor of the Munich air disaster, Albert Scanlon, is critically ill with pneumonia and kidney problems.

Albert Scanlon has died aged 74, which is exactly why I'm not submitting my DDP team yet...

Oh dear. How about replacing him with Brian Godfrey, former Exeter City Manager, who also captained Aston Villa and was capped by Wales? He has leukaemia.

In the event, no one picked Brian Godfrey on the DDP. We won't get another chance next year. :rolleyes:

Juan Carlos Gonzalez, one of the last three surviving members of Uruguay's 1950 World Cup winning team, is out of here aged 85. The two remaining ones now are Alcides Ghiggia and Anibal Paz.

There is no evidence to suggest that Paz is still alive. He would be in his 93rd year, for a Uruguayan this doesn't seem extremely likely. As well as Alcides Ghiggia (b. 1926), the following are still alive:

*Julio César Britos (b. 1926)

*Juan Burgueño (b. 1923)

*Washington Ortuño (b. 1928)

*Rodolfo Pini (b. 1926)

*Carlos Romero (b. 1927)

*Héctor Vilches (b. 1926)

There is no evidence to suggest that Paz is still alive. He would be in his 93rd year, for a Uruguayan this doesn't seem extremely likely. As well as Alcides Ghiggia (b. 1926), the following are still alive:

*Juan Burgueño (b. 1923)

*Rodolfo Pini (b. 1926)

*Carlos Romero (b. 1927)

I can't fathom why a Uruguayan can't reach 93 any more or less than any other nation????

There's loads of evidence, not least an interview only last year, plus numerous profiles (most in Spanish). If he died, we'd know about it. Spanish Wiki has a comprehensive guide to him - Paz caring Only he and Ghiggia survive of those that took part in the tournament - Ghiggia is the only one remaining from the final - I suppose now it's coming up 60 years, we're lucky to have any. I think Brazil's last player who appeared in the "final" (I know it wasn't a final per se, but to all extents & purposes, it is) died last year.

*Juan Burgueño (b. 1923)

*Rodolfo Pini (b. 1926)

*Carlos Romero (b. 1927)

I can't fathom why a Uruguayan can't reach 93 any more or less than any other nation????

There's loads of evidence, not least an interview only last year, plus numerous profiles (most in Spanish). If he died, we'd know about it. Spanish Wiki has a comprehensive guide to him - Paz caring Only he and Ghiggia survive of those that took part in the tournament - Ghiggia is the only one remaining from the final - I suppose now it's coming up 60 years, we're lucky to have any. I think Brazil's last player who appeared in the "final" (I know it wasn't a final per se, but to all extents & purposes, it is) died last year.

According to this chart (from the CIA no less), the average life expectancy at birth for Uruguay is 76.35 years - it ranks 67th; this compares with the United States, 78.11 (48th), the United Kingdom 79.01 (36th), the Isle of Man 78.82 (39th), Australia, 81.63 (7th), the Netherlands79.4, (30th).

These figures are correct as of 1 Jan 09, though quite how to extrapolate them to the 1920s, is beyond me. But there seems to be no good reason why a Uruguayan shouldn't live to his 90's.

Another Scottish Bobby has bit the dust, the former Leicester and Hibernian midfielder Bobby Smith...

Link

A hit for The Terry Fenwick Benefit Second Select XI & Drunkasaskunk...

Another Scottish Bobby has bit the dust, the former Leicester and Hibernian midfielder Bobby Smith...

Link

A hit for The Terry Fenwick Benefit Second Select XI & Drunkasaskunk...

There's another footballer for the next DDP update as Newcastle Utd stalwart Charlie Crowe has died. There's an obit from the BBC - apologies I can't link to it at the moment

PA News reporting that Macclesfield gaffer Keith Alexander is dead aged 53. First active football league manager to die since...?

Dunno, wasn't Cyril Knowles replaced by a caretaker, so - technically - still the boss?

PA News reporting that Macclesfield gaffer Keith Alexander is dead aged 53. First active football league manager to die since...?

Yep~~ he be's dead! Dead, dead, deaD! {{{much like the people playing darts in Worcestershire~~too much sauce, I s'pose}}}. old Keith cashed in his {fish} and chips and just after gaining a two year extension on his contract.....

Keith Playing On A New Field {In Heaven's Point}, Gayle Sayers, reports, says: That ain't football.......

Macclesfield Town have announced that manager Keith Alexander has died at the age of 53.

Alexander, who suffered a brain aneurysm in November 2003, passed away after arriving home last night from the League Two match at Notts County.

He had recently returned to work after taking time out because of illness.

"Keith was a splendid man. He will be sorely missed at the Moss Rose and by everyone involved in football," read a club statement.

Alexander played as a striker for Barnet, Grimsby, Stockport, Lincoln and Mansfield and took over as Lincoln manager for the first time in 1993.

He returned to Sincil Bank in 2002, leading the club to four successive League two play-off campaigns - the only manager to achieve that feat.

In November 2003 he collapsed with a double aneurysm, revealing afterwards that he had to be brought back to life three times.

Alexander parted company with Lincoln in 2006 and moved to Peterborough, but left in January 2007 after a disappointing run of results.

He was appointed Macclesfield manager in February 2008 and agreed a two-year contract extension in the January of this year.

"I spoke to Keith last night at about 11.15pm after our game at Notts County and he was in good spirits because, although we lost, we had given a team chasing promotion a good game.

"He went home after the game last night and collapsed. Tragically, he never recovered.

"He recently had a bout of hiccups that he couldn't get rid of and he went into hospital for that, but he wasn't feeling ill when I spoke to him last, he was bubbly.

"He'd had a few days off but he couldn't wait to get back on the training pitch.

"You won't find a more dedicated man at any club, he always gave 150%. I feel so sad for his family."

I suspect as MPFC said, Cyril Knowles, technically, back in 1991 - otherwise I would say Jock Stein back in 1985, or probably Grenville Hair of Bradford City, who died aged just 36 in 1968 would be the last league manager to go - but that's just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong.

Funny as I was reading Malcolm Allison's biography only 2 days ago which mentions the great, late, Joe Mercer - who became boss at Sheffield United after Reg someone-or-other died. I thought "well, it's a good thing things like that don't happen any more".

Something tells me a Bournemouth manager might have died in a car crash, but this is all a guess..

Stein, yeah, I wasn't thinking of international managers, but he went at work for sure. Dunno if that fleeting shot of him collapsing ever made it to YouTube.

I suspect as MPFC said, Cyril Knowles, technically, back in 1991 - otherwise I would say Jock Stein back in 1985, or probably Grenville Hair of Bradford City, who died aged just 36 in 1968 would be the last league manager to go - but that's just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong.

Funny as I was reading Malcolm Allison's biography only 2 days ago which mentions the great, late, Joe Mercer - who became boss at Sheffield United after Reg someone-or-other died. I thought "well, it's a good thing things like that don't happen any more".

Something tells me a Bournemouth manager might have died in a car crash, but this is all a guess..

Harry Redknapp was involved in a car crash whilst manager of Bournemouth but didn't die. The Bournemouth MD Brian Tiler and four others were killed however.

All subsequent Bournemouth managers are still with us too.

Harry Redknapp was involved in a car crash whilst manager of Bournemouth but didn't die. The Bournemouth MD Brian Tiler and four others were killed however.

Brian Tiler, that's the one I was thinking of. Is that - the accident - where Harry gets his twitches from?

Alan Ball Sr. died in a car crash, but I don't think he was managing a football league club at the time. Herbert Chapman died whilst still in charge, but that was aeons ago - as was Reg Freeman, the guy who snuffed it at Sheffield United.

This'll teach me not to keep my Rothmans/Sky Sports Yearbook for questions like this. Billy Ayre died young too, but I think he was an assitant manager at his death.

Brian Tiler, that's the one I was thinking of. Is that - the accident - where Harry gets his twitches from?

Alan Ball Sr. died in a car crash, but I don't think he was managing a football league club at the time. Herbert Chapman died whilst still in charge, but that was aeons ago - as was Reg Freeman, the guy who snuffed it at Sheffield United.

This'll teach me not to keep my Rothmans/Sky Sports Yearbook for questions like this. Billy Ayre died young too, but I think he was an assitant manager at his death.

Don't know about the twitch but he did lose his sense of smell which facilitated his move back to Portsmouth. It does however give me the occasion to post this little ditty. We won awards for our singing don't you know.

Apologies, I'd remembered Cyril Knowles wrongly. He was replaced temporarily but from the Wiki entry it looks like the contract was made permanent whilst Knowles was still breathing.

He resigned as manager of Torquay in October 1989 after a disappointing start to the 1989-90 season but returned to management in December, at Fourth Division basement club Hartlepool United. He revived Hartlepool and they finished 12 points clear of relegation. Their form in 1990-91 was even better, and they eventually gained promotion in third place.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour in February 1991 and player-coach Alan Murray took temporary charge of the first team. At the end of the season, Murray took over on a permanent basis, with Knowles unable to continue following brain surgery.

Knowles failed to recover from the cancer and he died on 30 August 1991 at the age of 47. Three months after his death a memorial match was played at White Hart Lane and in 1995 a new stand at Hartlepool's Victoria Park stadium was renamed in his honour.

So, without trawling the likes of the Kings Arms Select XI I'd venture that the most recent UK manager to die in situ WAS 'The Big Man' Stein.

Harry Redknapp was involved in a car crash whilst manager of Bournemouth but didn't die.
Don't know about the twitch but he did lose his sense of smell which facilitated his move back to Portsmouth.

I've never been to Portsmouth, so I don't know what it smells like, but is it that awful?

regards,

Hein

Put it this way, Hein - Portsmouth is full of road signs directing one "Out of City".

Presumably because that's where most people want to go.

Put it this way, Hein - Portsmouth is full of road signs directing one "Out of City".

Presumably because that's where most people want to go.

Surely, if you keep going far enough in any direction, you'll end up 'Out of City'? (Or are the signs to stop you getting your feet wet?)

• Like 1