Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

RIP to one of wrestlings proper tough bastards.

One of the big "how still alive?" of wrestling.

Abdullah the Butcher is probably an even bigger one. The guy was seriously obese most of his life, and was a dirty hardcore bastard. Somehow despite the recent issues he is doing well again.

Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler also start to be overdue, logically shouldn't have been alive. Jake the Snake another one. Jim Ross is piling up health issues too. Hacksaw Jim Duggan another overdue one. And then there's a large number of minor names who have been circling the drain for years.

I'm surprised Bret Hart is not having more health issues. Of course he had a stroke and prostate cancer, but he has been doing far better than fellow wrestlers around his age.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drol said:

I'm surprised Bret Hart is not having more health issues. Of course he had a stroke and prostate cancer, but he has been doing far better than fellow wrestlers around his age.

that’s because he’s the best there is, the best there was…

• Like 1

Bret's single-handed hatred of Bill Goldberg is keeping him strong.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, drol said:

One of the big "how still alive?" of wrestling.

Abdullah the Butcher is probably an even bigger one. The guy was seriously obese most of his life, and was a dirty hardcore bastard. Somehow despite the recent issues he is doing well again.

Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler also start to be overdue, logically shouldn't have been alive. Jake the Snake another one. Jim Ross is piling up health issues too. Hacksaw Jim Duggan another overdue one. And then there's a large number of minor names who have been circling the drain for years.

Abbie is a proper WTF case. Ill for years, breathing issues, overweight, hospital recently and still going.

Lawler's on the downward spiral imo.

Flair. Dunno how he's alive. Crazy clearly doesn't listen to the reaper.

Jake is the last person I ever expected to listen to doctors advice on how to prolong your life with COPD. 

Duggans a weird one. Fairly robust but has lots of health crisis in-between. Can only beat cancer so many times.

Bret's ok. He's a bit frail from the stroke but that's just him for life. Wouldn't be surprised if he outlived another few brothers. What's Bruce up to these days?

Marty Jannetty is a nutter addict, not sure how he's still alive. Heidenreich has a number of health issues. Had heard Dutch Mantel has been ill. Dennis Condrey had throat cancer for ages and looked like shit recently. Bobby Fulton still ill. Watch the ecw addicts who have gone quiet, Justin Credible for example. Tugboats still going somehow as is bloody Sir Mo. Ahmed Johnson has suspected dementia, Earl Hebner is meant to going the same way as his brother and Sabu is suffering the least surprising neurological problems in history. Both of Demolition have early signs of dementia. 

None getting the last rites but the 1940s where 90% of the name wrestlers born then died before the age of 76 looks like it was repeat with the 1950s and maybe even the 1960s.

Incidentally Boris Zhukov has migraines, memory loss, blackouts and dizziness and still works as a long distance truck driver. The American dream!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Bret's ok. He's a bit frail from the stroke but that's just him for life. Wouldn't be surprised if he outlived another few brothers. What's Bruce up to these days?

Bret also doesn't have to worry about healthcare - between the excellent private healthcare he can afford, and public Canadian healthcare that will presumably give him better treatment than the general public, he's better off than many (former or current) wrestlers in the US. But he does have to pay crazy prices for gas...

Barry Windham is another miracle survivor. And Brian Knobbs, and the Berzeker, though their issues may have been exaggerated a bit. Not to talk about fucking Steve McMichael.

Hulk Hogan must have a pact with the Devil. He is doing extremely well while wrestlers his age fall like flies or are already bedridden.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Barry Windham is another miracle survivor. And Brian Knobbs, and the Berzeker, though their issues may have been exaggerated a bit. Not to talk about fucking Steve McMichael.

Hulk Hogan must have a pact with the Devil. He is doing extremely well while wrestlers his age fall like flies or are already bedridden.

Forgot Windham and my DDP pick but that was off top of my head. I'm getting quite skeptical about Berzerker, ill yes but not to the extent that judge thought.

On the opposite end of this, Ricky Steamboats short comeback ended in 2010 when he suffered a massive internal haemorrhage and nearly died, yet he appeared on TV recently and looks incredible for a 71 year old pro wrestler.

Mind you, Bob Backlund was notoriously clean living and looked after himself and Abdullah the Butcher is a mess. It's really pot luck.

On 14/02/2023 at 23:04, arghton said:

New edition of that December list of oldest professional wrestlers/wrestling personalities as there's been a few deaths since I sent it. 

*snip*

Fritz Von Goering (1928/1929) Alive? I haven't looked into this one.
*snip*

Fritz Von Goering (wikidead at 94. Obit clarifies that he was in fact born in March 1930.

• Like 2

On 05/03/2013 at 10:18, Spade_Cooley said:

Sid Eudy's in the hospital with unspecified "heart problems". That's a guaranteed Sun obit when he goes.

WCW and WWF legend, “Psycho” Sid Eudy aka Sid Vicious dead reportedly at 63 after a cancer battle.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 2

Not who I was expecting as the next wrestling death. 

He kept serious during the Shockmaster incident. This guy was a legend.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

WCW and WWF legend, “Psycho” Sid Eudy aka Sid Vicious dead reportedly at 63 after a cancer battle.

i would imagine how unfair it feels to some wrestlers that you can be in relatively good condition for most of your life, and still die at around 65 while people like abdullah the butcher is 83 and still at the same size he was 40 years ago, along with his health problems. it feels almost selective really, with hulk hogan recently turning 71 amidst his many minor health issues, but someone like windham rotunda couldnt even make 40.

I unironically loved Sid. Easily my favourite person ever to attempt to murder Arn Anderson.

• Haha 1

Listening to a recent interview with Ric Flair. He was asked how he's still alive "with all his health issues" (apparently he forgot who Charlotte was during a recent illness) and he said he hadn't a clue.

That makes two of us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Villano V, a luchador whose real name was Ray Mendoza Jr., has died. He was 62. Villano V, one of the famed Villano wrestlers, was active from 1978 through 2015, wrestling in nearly 900 matches.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1653693/villano-v-dead-masked-lucha-libre-star-ray-mendoza-jr/

This means the only one of the five Villanos still alive is the one that nearly died in WCW (IV). Life can be silly like that!

• Like 1

Michelle Fazzari, Canadian championship wrestler, has died:

https://wrestling.ca/wrestling-canada-lutte-deeply-saddened-by-passing-of-michelle-fazzari/

DDP pick, though maybe not the most likely one to obit. But at only 37 years, this death might still pull some attention. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gallows_Humorist said:

Southern territory star of the 1970s/early 1980s Sonny King has died, per Ricky Morton

https://www.facebook.com/thebabyfacerickymorton/posts/pfbid0F9NJd2NVkKepBwoR6QjHnj4HXdmrzEmbEtTG63mc26RDh5sYrtnwCpk8eL6azbt1l

Sonny Ramphal, then Sonny King. I would say Sonny Rollins should probably be concerned but he's on the DL so, chances are, he will be fine for at least the next few months.

This one went under the radar but Al Blake, who essentially had a one-year career in 1987 wrestling just over 100 matches as Vladimir Petrov, notably in a Russian stable led by Ivan Koloff, died in late July. He was 66. Blake's career was derailed by multiple drug convictions in 1988. He wrestled two matches in the WWE in 1990, on consecutive days, winning them both.

https://www.sescoops.com/news/al-blake-vladimir-petrov-passes-away/

• Like 1