themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Sir William Ramsay, discoverer of Argon and the noble gases - 100 years ago

Montgomery Clift - 50 years

Van Heflin - 45 years

Jean Muir (1st actress blacklisted as a Commie sympathizer in 1950) - 20 years

• Like 2

Alan Rawsthorne began decomposing this day 45 years ago aged 66.

early40.gif

It's that time of year again when I remind you all of the death of Peter Sellers today in 1980...

peter_sellers.jpg

• Shocked 1

25 years since Lazar Kaganovich became a good Commie aged 97.

220px-%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%

• Like 2

English poet, literary critic and philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge died on this day in 1834 aged 61.

220px-SamuelTaylorColeridge.jpg

The author of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, he preferred half a gallon of laudanum every week rather than navy rum.

Scottish chemist and inventor of waterproof fabrics, Charles Macintosh hung up his rubber raincoat for the last time on this day in 1843 aged 76 and put on a wooden overcoat instead.

220px-Charles_Macintosh.jpg

• Like 3

It's been a year since the death of Bobbi Kristina Brown, aged 22.

5609bd6064673958608520.jpg

• Like 1

Dead Popes today, Paul II 645 years ago aged 54.

220px-Pietrobarbo.jpg

Me and the brood are off to Crete today so there may not be as many posts over the next few days. Hope I don't miss anyone important.

Gertrude Stein - wrote 'a death is a death is a death is a death', or summat - 70 years
William Wyler - 35 years
Maryann Mahaffey, the last great white hope of Detroit politics - 10 years

gertrude-stein.jpg?quality=80

• Like 1

Since no one else is going to. 375 years ago July 27th feeling OK, July 28th not feeling OK. Antonio Vivaldi aged 63.

• Like 2

C'mon people how could you have missed the 100th anniversary of the death of Albert Neisser aged 61. He did find the bacteria which caused Gonorrhoea after all.

Broadway actress Lynn Fontanne died 33 years ago today aged 95.

12901-1.jpg

C'mon people how could you have missed the 100th anniversary of the death of Albert Neisser aged 61. He did find the bacteria which caused Gonorrhoea after all.

I was considering starting a thread about death anniversaries for the not-so-famous, such as Mr Neisser. Not every day entries necessarily, just when you think about it. I pass over so many names of folks I never heard of without opening their bio. This would be very educational for us all, but limit it to like 50 or 100th anniversary as you did here. That way if a nice round number pops up we can give them their just do, and learn about someone in a couple sentences we never may have heard of before.

Anyways, it was a thought.

SC

• Like 3

Why does it need a separate thread? What's wrong with posting them in here?

• Like 2

but limit it to like 50 or 100th anniversary as you did here.

SC

There's never been a rule that limits death anniversaries to 5, 50 or even 100 years.

• Like 2

In that spirit, its the 37th anniversary of the death of Beatrix Lehmann. Those of a certain persuasion on the forum will remember her from Doctor Who's Stones of Blood, as Professor Emilia Lumford, one of the very few guest roles during that time period which threatened to steal the show from Tom Baker.

Beatrix+Lehmann.jpg

lehman1.jpg

Also on a Doctor Who note, Robert James, who played Lesterson in Power of the Daleks, died 12 years ago today.

• Like 1

In that spirit, its the 37th anniversary of the death of Beatrix Lehmann. Those of a certain persuasion on the forum will remember her from Doctor Who's Stones of Blood, as Professor Emilia Lumford, one of the very few guest roles during that time period which threatened to steal the show from Tom Baker.

Beatrix+Lehmann.jpg

lehman1.jpg

Also on a Doctor Who note, Robert James, who played Lesterson in Power of the Daleks, died 12 years ago today.

There you go! But maybe we shouldn't clutter up this area. I dunno.

Nothing I guess. I think I stated it perfectly clear. I personally only post more famous folks here but I guess we can have at it. I do prefer minimalism as to threads. But posting a bunch of rather nobodies here seemingly defies the spirit of the thread. However, If that's what you think best I'm all for it. No need for antagonism.

SC

but limit it to like 50 or 100th anniversary as you did here.

SC

There's never been a rule that limits death anniversaries to 5, 50 or even 100 years.

Why are you opening that can of worms. That conversation has been beaten to death. You are exactly correct.

SC

Because on July 31, 2016 Austrian pianist/composer Franz Liszt (130 years) is infamous, and deserves this thread. American jazz pianist Bud Powell (50 years) does not.

SirC

Antoine de St Exupery probably died on this day in 1944.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint-Exup%C3%A9ry

I did think about a separate thread for anniversaries of disasters as opposed to individuals, such as this one which is in the news again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36906604

Nice to see the thread remaining active while I'm away even if it's not full of anniversaries! Without wishing to enter the 'are they famous enough debate' I give you 20 years since the death of rapper Seagram (Miller) aged 26. If you're saying ' who?' them wait for the upcoming movie later this year.

PS no rogue puppies today.

PS no rogue puppies today.

Like any other red bloodied heterosexual male on this site, we all await a photo of said puppy. ;-D

140 years ago, James Butler 'Wild Bill' Hickok was shot and killed while playing poker, aged 39.

4633c7843728fe2fd542b54eb22bd95b.jpg

• Like 2