themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Karen Silkwood died in mysterious circumstances 39 years ago today

silkwood_portrait.jpg

• Like 1

Laurence Tisch, former CEO of CBS Television, died on this day in 2003 at the age of 80.

laurence-tisch.jpg

......... and, of course, everyone remembers where they were when Aldous Huxley died.
Who? :P
Author of Brave New World, Crome Yellow, After Many A Summer etc. Rather well known in an Anglo-Californian sort of way.

You'll be delighted to learn that I read some of his books.

My point was rather that I was an infant when he died. That, and a joke. Oh well.

regards,

Hein

Six and a half years later, I will explain Pooka's joke to Magere. :P The passing of Huxley (and that of another famous early British fantasy/SF writer, C. S. Lewis), which would normally have been big news, was completely overshadowed by the fact that JFK was assassinated that same weekend.

PS - it was also the weekend that Dr Who debuted on television, so quite a momentous time for SF afficionados.

How should DeathList commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the biggest triple celebrity death weekend of all time?

• Like 1

Er, I don't know...

Everybody stand in a wardrobe, then ask a friend/relative to blow your head off with a sniper rifle and see if it takes you to a Brave New World?

• Like 3

Six and a half years later, I will explain Pooka's joke to Magere. :P The passing of Huxley (and that of another famous early British fantasy/SF writer, C. S. Lewis), which would normally have been big news, was completely overshadowed by the fact that JFK was assassinated that same weekend.

How should DeathList commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the biggest triple celebrity death weekend of all time?

And my Granny. You left out my Granny! :(

22 years ago eccentric and psychotic German actor Klaus Kinski died of a heart attack at the age of 65.

im-kino-klaus-kinski-jesus.jpg

• Like 1

The popular and beloved German Volks-actress Helga Feddersen died 23 years ago of cancer, aged 60. She also was a writer, a singer, a comedienne and director of her own theater.

A cancer operation in 1955 resulted in a slight disfiguration of her face which later became her trademark.

feddersen6_v-contentgross.jpg

Today in 1967 Belarusian sculptor Ossip Zadkine died, aged 77.

Ossip_Zadkine.png

A sculpture by Zadkine, formally named De Verwoeste Stad (The Destroyed City), commemorates the bombing of my hometown Rotterdam by the Luftwaffe on 14 May 1940. Most people refer to it by the name of its maker.

399px-Zadkine_II_rb.jpg

regards,

Hein

Ten years ago American rapper Soulja Slim, born James Adarryl Tapp Jr. in 1977, was killed in front of his mother's house by four gun shots. He was 26 years old.

In August 2004 his song "Slow Motion" hit US No.1 posthumously, his one and only Billboard No.1.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, he got it!

25 years ago Roy Orbison died of a heart attack. He was only 52 years old.

23 years later, on December 6th 2011, his widow Barbara died of pancreatic cancer.

BarbaraOrbisonRoyOrbisonPA071211.jpg

John Lennon died today in 1980...

john-lennon.jpg

• Like 1

john-lennon.jpg

And Darby Crash died the day before

Darby_Crash.jpg

• Like 1

Darby_Crash.jpg

Great post. Imagine a guy deciding that he'd had enough at the age of 22 and checking out..... I don't know whether to admire his balls or feel sorry for the guy (because I read that the unbridled homophobia of the punk scene contributed to his depression).

Darby_Crash.jpg

Great post. Imagine a guy deciding that he'd had enough at the age of 22 and checking out..... I don't know whether to admire his balls or feel sorry for the guy (because I read that the unbridled homophobia of the punk scene contributed to his depression).

I see what you did there.

Ed Wood, named the “worst director of all times”, died on December 10th, 1978 at age 54.

He and his low budget movies reached a cult following, but not until his death.

Ed_Wood_photo.jpg

• Like 1

The legendary and iconic pin-up and fetish model Bettie Page died 5 years ago at age 85.

page-bettie.jpg

Today in 1994 Polish tank commander general Stanisław Maczek died, aged 102.

Stanislaw_Maczek_2.jpg

In 1944 General Maczek was commander of 1st Armoured Division (Poland) that, as part of the First Canadian Army, fought in Normandy, northern France, Belgium and the southern Netherlands and liberated the Dutch town of Breda on 29 October 1944.

After demobilisation in 1948 he was stripped of Polish citizenship by the communists and remained in Britain. As he was not considered by the British to be an Allied soldier, he was denied combatant rights and refused a military pension. As a result, until the 1960s he worked as a bartender at an Edinburgh hotel.

He's buried in the Polish military cemetary in Breda.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

American R&B musician (and ex-husband of Tina) Ike Turner, born November 5, 1931, died on the 12th of December 2007 because of a cocaine overdose but he also suffered from a hypertensive cardiovascular disease and pulmonary emphysema so probably it was a combination of all his diseases.

Ike%2BTurner%2Bike_01.jpg

5 years ago German actor Horst Tappert passed away aged 85.

He is best known for playing inspector Stephan Derrick in the drama series “Derrick” from 1974 to 1998. This series was also popular in many countries all over the world.

horst%2Btappert%2Bderrick.jpg

5 years ago German actor Horst Tappert passed away aged 85.

He is best known for playing inspector Stephan Derrick in the drama series “Derrick” from 1974 to 1998. This series was also popular in many countries all over the world.

horst%2Btappert%2Bderrick.jpg

Michael-Gove-010.jpg.....or did he ?

• Like 2

Actress Myrna Loy died on December 14, 1993 during a surgery/operation at the age of 88.

SBZAF00Z.jpg

The singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Dan Fogelberg died today in 2007 of prostate cancer. He had several hits (singles and albums) during the late 70s to mid-80s; his best-known song is probably “Longer”, an American No.2-hit from 1980.

Dan%2BFogelberg%2Bfogel.jpg

• Like 1