Death in Pixie Boots

Sheikh Down

Who's this guy? Has he a wiki page? The confusion is incredible.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2018 at 19:15, Sir Creep said:

Prominent Bahraini Shia cleric Sheikh Isa Qassim, who has been stripped of his nationality by the ruling Al Khalifah dynasty, has been rushed to hospital over deteriorating health as the Manama regime does not shy away from its suppressive measures against pro-democracy campaigners in the country.

Arabic-language Lualua television network reported that the 81-year-old cleric was hospitalized on Wednesday, without providing any further information.
SC

(**diabolically rubs hands together, thinking of May Cup team**  bwa-ha-haaaa) 

Sheikh Isa Qassim hospitalised with heart problems and underwent/to undergo heart surgery. He's bounced back atleast two times from "critical conditions", suffers from diabetes and heart disease and has already undergone multiple heart surgeries in the past, most recently in 2019. And he's quite young for an Ayatollah.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arghton said:

Sheikh Isa Qassim hospitalised with heart problems and underwent/to undergo heart surgery. He's bounced back atleast two times from "critical conditions", suffers from diabetes and heart disease and has already undergone multiple heart surgeries in the past, most recently in 2019. And he's quite young for an Ayatollah.

Isa Qassim discharged after surgery.

Also 82 instead of 86 according to Arab wiki.

Iraqi poet and Hawazin tribal leader Sheikh Mutaib bin Fahd bin Hathal Al-Anzi (Arabic wikidead according to this Instagram post at around 103 or 104. 

miteb.thumb.jpg.caad70c14808aa80cf7a596af38bd046.jpg

Edit: Age more likely 97. He was a strong supporter of Saddam, including during Dubya's war and the US locked him up in 2003. One of his sons was killed in a suicide bombing by ISIS in 2015.

• Like 3

On 01/06/2022 at 20:40, arghton said:

From the royals thread

. Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Abdullah Al Thani (1929) Qatari royal/politician.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Abdullah Al Thani, Qatari royal, politician (former Minister of Education and Culture), MBHHC chairman and ambassador dead at 93/94. Apparently both the uncle and father-in-law of previos emir Hamad bin Khalifa. Leaves Sheikh Salem Al-Ali of Kuwait the last (or last notable) royal of the Arabian Peninsula born in the 1920s.

• Like 3

On 15/06/2023 at 16:44, arghton said:

And Kuwait's Emir Nawaf back to Italy, another private visit

Nawaf, who'll be 86 this month, has been said to suffer from stomach cancer for more than two years now and has had five to ten of these trips since becoming Emir in 2020. They seem fully prepared for his death, the eighty-something Crown Prince Mishal (half-brother of Nawaf) fully took over his duties already over a year ago and Nawaf's son Ahmad Nawaf (who is around 67 and currently the Prime Minister) will likely become the Crown Prince after Nawaf dies. 

Kuwait News Agency denies reports of head of state Emir Nawaf being in "emergency health condition". No smoke without fire?

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 20:40, arghton said:

. Sheikh Jaber Al-Abdullah Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (11 July 1930-) Kuwaiti royal. Not sure if alive. Arabic name: جابر العبد الله الجابر الصباح

Kuwaiti royal and Governor of Ahmadi Governorate 1962-1985 Sheikh Jaber Al-Abdullah Al-Jaber Al-Sabah Kuwaiti royal and 1960s Minister Sheikh Mubarak Abdullah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah (ar wiki) widely reported dead at 93 online.

Edit: Now I'm confused. It seems it's Sheikh Mubarak Abdullah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah who's dead (previously thought to have been born 1932, but now 1930), and the mention I quoted is this guy, Sheikh Jaber, who is probably still alive at 93. Sheikhs, confusing as usual.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Hospitalized due to "emergency health problem"

Rumors on Twitter that he's (Kuwait's Emir Nawaf) dead. I think it's premature but I don't believe the official version that he's "stable".

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 23:39, arghton said:

From what I understand Mamdouh is a pretty minor name and also in frail health.

Saudi Arabia doesn't currently have much major older Sheikhs/royals. Kuwait's got that one very frail guy in his late 90s but also many others and former Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Saad's widow Sheikha Latifa (Arabic wiki) is still alive, 86 this year. Bahrain has a few, Sheikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa and someone a bit older who I can't remember right now. UAE has multiple nonagenarians/octogenarians, Tahnoun bin Mohammed Al Nahyan the oldest at 96/97. 

One interesting Arab royal name is Buthaina bint Taimur, half-Japanese Omani royal.

Mamdouh bin Abdulaziz al Saud dead at 83.

• Like 2

Emir Nawaf is "stable" according to the Cabinet and the Amiri Diwan, but most Kuwaiti news sources say he's still stable which makes it sound a bit like they don't really expect improvement. They've also announced that "gossipers will be prosecuted".

I think if he somehow makes it another ~3 weeks he deserves his own thread, after all he's a current ruling monarch. If you look around instagram/twitter and search his Arabic name seems the whole population of Kuwait are praying for him (with a few prayers for that nonagenarian Sheikh Salem there too from recent weeks and months) and it seems an open secret he's suffered from some form of cancer, probably stomach cancer, for years.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 13:42, arghton said:

Rumors on Twitter that he's (Kuwait's Emir Nawaf) dead. I think it's premature but I don't believe the official version that he's "stable".

Emir Nawaf of Kuwait has died aged 86.

Obituaries: BBCMetroDaily MailGuardian

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

His 83-year old successor is already in failing health.

For a long and stable reign they should have chosen Sheikh Salem.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, drol said:

image.thumb.png.cd888c09ad83eea848fc31ea2e913e64.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 16/12/2023 at 12:08, drol said:

On 16/12/2023 at 13:07, The Old Crem said:

DDP miss I think. Selected in 2021 and 2022 but not this year. 

I'm genuinely suprised that Emir Nawaf wasn't picked in the DDP but,suprise, Sheikh Salem is on a team.

It'll be interesting to see if Mishal meets with him...Salem is still the Commander of the National Guard of Kuwait (a position he's held since he founded the National Guard in 1967) and when Sabah died three years ago Nawaf held meetings with him.

On 16/12/2023 at 19:08, gcreptile said:

It's the Arab system, and could be seen in Saudi-Arabia, too. But now they've run out of sons of Saud, so we have crown prince bonesaw.

Similar thing going on in Kuwait. 4 out of the 5 Emirs in Kuwait during the last 45 years have been sons of Ahmad Al-Jaber who's been dead for nearly 74 years now. Mishal is the last of his prominent sons.

I think they'll sooner or later make the current Prime Minister (Emir Nawaf's son who's only 67 and has only held major positions since Nawaf made him deputy commander of the National Guard in 2020) the Crown Prince, but there seems to be fears the Muslim Brotherhood will take over* and also seems a chance for a power struggle within the royal family that could get nasty especially if Mishal dies soon.

Edit: Back when he was hospitalised, I was reading some articles from other Arab/Kuwaiti news sources that claimed a coup against the monarchy could happen if Nawaf died. They did also say "if Nawaf died unexpectedly" and there was nothing unexpected about his death. Officially these claims were dismissed as fearmongering but it seems the most unstable of the GCC countries.

Edit 2: Sheikh Mubarak who died this year was the penultimate living member of Kuwait's first cabinet (1962). The last living is none other than that fucking Sheikh Salem, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arghton said:

I'm genuinely suprised that Emir Nawaf wasn't picked in the DDP but,suprise, Sheikh Salem is on a team.

It'll be interesting to see if Mishal meets with him...Salem is still the Commander of the National Guard of Kuwait (a position he's held since he founded the National Guard in 1967) and when Sabah died three years ago Nawaf held meetings with him.

Similar thing going on in Kuwait. 4 out of the 5 Emirs in Kuwait during the last 45 years have been sons of Ahmad Al-Jaber who's been dead for nearly 74 years now. Mishal is the last of his prominent sons.

I think they'll sooner or later make the current Prime Minister (Emir Nawaf's son who's only 67 and has only held major positions since Nawaf made him deputy commander of the National Guard in 2020) the Crown Prince, but there seems to be fears the Muslim Brotherhood will take over and also seems a chance for a power struggle within the royal family that could get nasty especially if Mishal dies soon.

What do you mean with "Muslim Brotherhood takeover"? Couping the monarchy or are there just pro-Brotherhood candidates for the Throne that could take power?