Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

The Comic Strip

First of the gang to die?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Somehow, they're all still alive. Saunders has overcome breast cancer, Coltrane is usually regarded as the greatest coronary risk, and Allen is presumably the people's choice to die slowly of a long and lingering illness. But still: which early 80s Channel 4 oh-so-shocking content filler do you think will be renewing their working relationship with Peter Cook first?

I went with Dawn French.

She is probably not as jolly in private...I think she will take her own life.

I think the coal train will be the first to leave the station.

Can't say I've ever heard of Al Pillay, but then I was not as avid a watcher of the Comic Strip than of The Young Ones, Filthy Rich etc...

Somehow, they're all still alive. Saunders has overcome breast cancer, Coltrane is usually regarded as the greatest coronary risk, and Allen is presumably the people's choice to die slowly of a long and lingering illness. But still: which early 80s Channel 4 oh-so-shocking content filler do you think will be renewing their working relationship with Peter Cook first?

....And don't forget Rik Mayall had a near death experience on a quad bike in the 90s and he's never been the same since! I think barring accidents and suicides they'll all be around for quite a while yet.

If we're thinking of any Comic Strip performer we should remember that Peter Wyngarde made an appearance in one episode. His improbable hold on life continues, but he admits to being born in 1933 and the suspicion is that's up to five years off his real age.

I voted 'Coronary' Coltrane.

<-- Coltrane vote over here.

PS : I did see a play Rik was putting on a few years ago and we prity much "glossed over" the three or four times he got lost in what his next line was. Bound to have been an element of the brain fade effect.

I went with Dawn French.

She is probably not as jolly in private...I think she will take her own life.

No wonder her and Lenny have split! Will you be selling you story to the News of the World then?

I'll go for Ronald Allen - easy option, he died in 91. Seriously though, I've taken the next easiest option and gone with Coltrane. Neither he nor French is likely to be bringing out an exercise video soon. Rik Mayall's recent interview on Radio 5 on a Saturday (or maybe Sunday) morning was interesting to say the least, I think they must have been very close to taking him off the air! He's a very combustible fellow in more ways than one, but as long as he keeps away from quad bikes I think he will outlive big Robbie. Edmondson strikes me of being more able to keep his private and stage persona separate. Keith Allen seemed a similar creature to Mayall in my view, likely to turn up for the "wrong" reasons in the tabloids from time to time, but now he's becoming a more serious actor, he seems to have got his head screwed on.

I don't think any of them are likley to pop off soon, well. within the next 5 years (kiss of death). Mind you, there are 3 of them I hadn't heard of.

PS : I did see a play Rik was putting on a few years ago and we prity much "glossed over" the three or four times he got lost in what his next line was. Bound to have been an element of the brain fade effect.

It was a running gag in the Bottom Live tours that Rik would forget his lines and get crucified by Ade Edmonson....these predated the Quad bike accident. Although the accident probably hasn't helped. :banghead:

It was a running gag in the Bottom Live tours that Rik would forget his lines and get crucified by Ade Edmonson....these predated the Quad bike accident. Although the accident probably hasn't helped. :banghead:

Or perhaps a more prosaic explantion is that Ade Edmonson is comfortably a better actor than Rik Mayall?*

*sorry Rik, you're still one my heroes... :D

Fuck...

Rik Mayall dead

No reason given yet as it's breaking news but bloody hell.

He came near to death a few years ago when his quad bike rolled on top of him. Could be a massive stroke.

A couple of posts and no 'Bad News' gags yet? You lot are slipping.

I'm wondering if his death is anything to do with the quad bike accident as well. We'll find out in time, I suppose.

I'm gonna go with the "outside bet" of suicide here just so I can say "ner ner" if it's true. Plus I have a weird inkling. If not then yeah the Quad Bike accident probably.

Oh fuck, time for more of those awful programmes with talking heads driveling on about how brilliant a dead person was.

The peoples' poet is dead

That's whet our danger buds hasn't it?

Ritchy Rich joins Jumbo Whiffy... :(

A couple of posts and no 'Bad News' gags yet? You lot are slipping.

I'm wondering if his death is anything to do with the quad bike accident as well. We'll find out in time, I suppose.

Drop dead Rik, surely?

Rick with the silent R I P

• Like 1

The most tragic thing is we'll never have another series of "The New Statesman"...

• Like 2

Guest Guest

I am shocked. Just shocked. Can't say anything more right now.

Absolutely gutted....He was part of the radical movement in comedy in the late 70's early 80's. Until then it was stand up comedy wall to wall for the working class....I'm sure many of us members just had to watch "The Young Ones" purely because it broke many of the taboo's surrounding British television.

As Alan B'stard in the "New Statesman" he ran rings round "Yes Prime Minister" with scripts made for his style of comedy. Continuing his double act with Ade Edmondson could only serve as his epitaph. "Bottom" progressed from must view television to sell out live shows across the country, proving that he was just as popular some 35 years after becoming such a hit.

• Like 1

Just last week I started watching all the Comic Strip episodes, (only watched the first 6 so far). He was great in the stage production of Waiting for Godot.