Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Quantickgate

As the late Martin Benson said (in the guise of the Vogon captain):

"Hello, whoever you are!"

Thanks, Lady G., for splitting this topic from the DDP thread, good thinking.

Extra brownie points. :)

Edit to add: the DDP entries we're discussing are here: Quantick, David and Wells, Steven.

More edit to add: ISTM these blokes are marginal celebrities, if celebrities at all. The only good reason they're deadpool material is the fact that newspapers tend to write obits for dead journo's.

regards,

Hein

He should be thankful that the DDP is bringing his mates' work to the scummy masses, I'd never heard of him till this palaver kicked off. You can kind of understand the uneducated, spelling-mistake-littered chav rants we get (or used to get), because those people are thick enough not to get it, but from someone who is supposed to be somewhat intelligent? What bit of 'we don't WISH them dead, we just PREDICT' doesn't he get?

Free kebab to the first person who can hack his facebook and change his name to Cuntick.

Well, I must say! I've been going through a few of David's tweets and I can't see that there's much of a point in half of them.

One of the most insightful being him noticing how few people take good care of their footwear. I had noticed that too and I'm thankful to have found time in my morning routine to have made sure my young lad has had freshly polished shoes each and every day of his first year at school.

But, on the other hand, I find it sad that he really thinks we do all this dead pooling for "humour" or our "fun" and that we are "sick" or have no understanding of people’s feelings.

Don't think he quite gets "us" or the big idea behind what we do and why we do it?

Oh well. In time, those that "get-it" (and I guess that's never going to be many) may one day reflect with a different appraisal.

WTF are you talking about?

What "big idea"?

It was/is a student laugh.

PS well done Spade for calling Quantick out on his hypocrisy

Hang on. No, don't think you are on my wavelength (difficult I know, different planet and all that) but what I'm trying to get at that it will always be for a different reason for everyone. Coming back the main issue is it not that the "complaint" is with DDP not www.deathlist.net. We all know bits about how this place came about, but the mists of time cloud the DDP and it's "big idea" (even lost the trophy) beyond what is written on the home page.

Still, I've been thinking (and talking with Mrs Rotten) about this and the only fair course of action would be to change the information held. Now it's all a coding problem with the old (2009) list. Making any changes now must not affect the scores, but if removing the photo and personal description could be easily accomplished I'm guess that a name change could be made to end up with the person in question simply being called "W" or "Person W" or "Person 1". Now this entry could be left in place alphabetically or be moved into the numbers list with 50 Cent. Think it would be best to keep the date of death and run with a disclaimer... "W's" personal details are withheld by the DDP because of a request from a friend on behalf of "W's" family.

Oh, well done LG for pulling this thread away from the DDP discussion - in time it may also be best to remove this thread or "redact" various bits of it too.

Oh God now I've got lengthy private messages from Quantick and he's harassing me over Facebook as well. It's too early in the fucken morning for this.

Spade, is this the same David Quantick who is facebook with Scott Michaels who runs the findadeath website? A website far more obsessed with celebrity deaths than DDP an DL are put together. If so then that's further proof of his hypocritical nature.

Still, I've been thinking (and talking with Mrs Rotten) about this and the only fair course of action would be to change the information held. Now it's all a coding problem with the old (2009) list. Making any changes should not affects the scores, but if removing the photo and personal description could be easily accomplished I'm hopeful that a name change could be made to end up with the person in question simply being called "W" or "Person W" or "Person 1". Now this entry could be left in place alphabetically or be moved into the numbers list with 50 Cent. Think it would be best to keep the date of death and run with a disclaimer... "W's" personal details are withheld by the DDP because of a request from friends & family.

My only connection to DDP is having a team in it, so very IMO: if the entry is libelous, I'd agree, but otherwise I couldn't be arsed. Do F&F request that obits about their beloved dead be removed from news sites? Do they want fan sites closed? I don't think so.

Oh, well done for pulling this tread away from the DDP discussion - in time it may also be best to remove this thread or "redact" various bits of it too.

We'll see. This forum is de facto DDP's common room. I'm not prepared to remove messages or parts thereof only because some dodgy geezer might not like it.

regards,

Hein

Oh God now I've got lengthy private messages from Quantick and he's harassing me over Facebook as well. It's too early in the fucken morning for this.

Spade, is this the same David Quantick who is facebook with Scott Michaels who runs the findadeath website? A website far more obsessed with celebrity deaths than DDP an DL are put together. If so then that's further proof of his hypocritical nature.

Ooooh, good work. Being as the Findadeath Scott Michaels is the former boyfriend of Graham Norton, and that Quantick was a writer for So Graham Norton.... I think you're right.

Ooooh, good work. Being as the Findadeath Scott Michaels is the former boyfriend of Graham Norton, and that Quantick was a writer for So Graham Norton.... I think you're right.

I'm with Spadey on this one. He's backed himself into a corner.

@Rotten Ali,

I have considered that option. I don't think coding will be a problem as 2009 is pretty much archived. However, if I were to remove Wells it might be the tip of the iceberg. What if other friends or families of picks start requesting that such and such needs to be removed? Then it would make a mockery of the competition....

@Rotten Ali,

I have considered that option. I don't think coding will be a problem as 2009 is pretty much archived. However, if I were to remove Wells it might be the tip of the iceberg. What if other friends or families of picks start requesting that such and such needs to be removed? Then it would make a mockery of the competition....

Sure. But it's the people left behind of those who were on the fringes of fame that don't quite understand what these sites are about. These things can cause pain. Some Papua New Guinea people never liked having their photo taken because they thought their very soul was being removed.

Have any famous people contacted the site while still alive and said take my name off?

Should there be a deadline?

And this request is more of a back fire - "remove my friend from your site" - turns this person's life into a lesser footnote. Sure it's sad that people get ill and die. 100% of people who are born die. Even famous ones. So I feel this minor request could be undertaken without the flood gates being opened. Remembering that being in the public eye has it's draw backs. Even mix with other even more famous people that are very vocal, indignent and persuasive to the extent that they can have information removed about you after your death.

It's not the end of the world to do it once.

But really this request should have come via the family estate if they are still upset by it.

And that brings us back to "image rights". Like the link on the entry that takes you to the death notice. If it's a problem the family have, then that too best be removed.

@Rotten Ali,

Sure. But it's the people left behind of those who were on the fringes of fame that don't quite understand what these sites are about. These things can cause pain. Some Papua New Guinea people never liked having their photo taken because they thought their very soul was being removed.

Have any famous people contacted the site while still alive and said take my name off?

Should there be a deadline?

And this request is more of a back fire - "remove my friend from your site" - turns this person's life into a lesser footnote. Sure it's sad that people get ill and die. 100% of people who are born die. Even famous ones. So I feel this minor request could be undertaken without the flood gates being opened. Remembering that being in the public eye has it's draw backs. Even mix with other even more famous people that are very vocal, indignent and persuasive to the extent that they can have information removed about you after your death.

It's not the end of the world to do it once.

But really this request should have come via the family estate if they are still upset by it.

And that brings us back to "image rights". Like the link on the entry that takes you to the death notice. If it's a problem the family have, then that too best be removed.

I'm sure the last thing Wells would want is for his estate to go all corporate and start shouting the odds over image rights and so on. Not very right on, is it? But we're speculating here.

I am at this moment writing the latest email and it begins with a summary of what has happened and a staunch defence of the DDP and of deadpooling in general.

Guest David Quantick

Hi, anonymous cowards - an article sounds great. I thought I'd repeat my opinion. My view is simple: real people are the subject of your site and they have people who care about them. Oh, and if you're happy promoting your site through other people's names, maybe you could put your own up.

Hi, anonymous cowards - an article sounds great. I thought I'd repeat my opinion. My view is simple: real people are the subject of your site and they have people who care about them. Oh, and if you're happy promoting your site through other people's names, maybe you could put your own up.

I would have thought, given your views, you would have had the gumption to put your own name up?

The right to your own anonymity also applies to the people on here, whatever the point of view.

Interesting!

Strange. "Real people"!

Real people?

OK - so only famous people are real people?

OK - I'll start again. Say you want to be interesting and have a go at entertaining people (real or otherwise). That tends to make people "famous", or at least somewhat "known-about". If you don't want to have your life crawled all over by "mere" ordinary people don't try and be famous.

Hay, to those that do become famous - WELL DONE. But watch out "ordinary" people are all about. Some are nosy, some are strange, some want to be your friends (or even lovers). Some want to have an easy ride and others want to hear what you say.

Say you talk with your doctor. He tells you, you have a nasty condition. What do you do? Who to you tell? Who do you confide in? How about you tell your best friends?

Shame, getting ill. It's the worst.

My name is Rachel Smith.

How come you don't get it? You're supposed to be clever. There's a massive difference between WANTING something to happen, and PREDICTING that something will happen.

My name is Rachel Smith.

How come you don't get it? You're supposed to be clever. There's a massive difference between WANTING something to happen, and PREDICTING that something will happen.

Yay!!!

We can play " Spartacus syndrome"...

"Ahem........NO SHE ISNT!!!"

"Im Rachel Smith!"

And makes his point via that most brave of routes, the anonymous guest.

Most 'guests' on this forum tend to be either sly snipers or deranged high horse bestriding ranters

Well done son, yer both!

Dear Quantick Soul Orchestra,

Thanks for dropping by. You have effectively failed to answer a single query put to you over the course of these threads/dialogues, preferring instead to stick with the Melanie Phillip's/Helen Lovejo'y "WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN???" routine. However, maybe you answer them when placed to you directly in order or, instead, you could round up your Twitter troops to harass "non-celebrities" instead.

1) Do you understand what deadpooling is?

2) Did Steven Wells die last year? If so, why is it wrong to point out that he died on a website?

3) Do you think that The Guardian should take down the obit pieces they published for him last year? If not, why not?

4) Steven spent most of his writing career wishing death on Morrissey/Belle & Sebastian/et al. Was this inappropriate? If Stuart Murdoch's mother had emailed the NME in 1999 and said "this has upset me, I am a real person, Stuart has family and friends", should Wells have been fired for his indiscretions?

5) You said that the Brass Eye skit about Peter Sutcliffe was "making a point". What point was that? Musicals make profit off of murdered prostitutes?

6) You are, as stated, friends with the maintainer of findadeath.com. Other than the fact that you don't know anyone featured on that site personally, what are the differences between it and DDP?

7) Does humour have any taste boundaries? Previously, you've said no, but you are now saying that it does have boundaries: if it offends David Quantick personally, it shouldn't exist.

8) Can you see why any impartial observer to this finds you guilty of the worst kind of hypocrisy?

David, you've fell victim to Linehan syndrome: the majority of your day-to-day interactions with people are now on a Twitter feed of people who Want To Impress You To Get A Job, and you now believe that the entire world is set up for you. It isn't.

My name is Rachel Smith.

Lardy, you're wonderfull.

Anyway this Quantick bloke isn't your type!

Then again should we book him for DL Con IV?

My name is Rachel Smith.

Lardy, you're wonderfull.

Anyway this Quantick bloke isn't your type!

Then again should we book him for DL Con IV?

Hey RA, I'm a clean-living respectable laydee now!

On the other hand, fuck it, he's got a pulse, he's my type :)

Invite him, he might say yes, I'm sure he'd love to watch me drink my own body weight in wine, slobber over some over-priced chips and forget my way to the train station :P

They're not real people. They are famous people.

I thought hack bastards like you made famous people fair game?

How have you been feeling lately, David?

Is it rosacea or hypertension behind that beguiling blush? s2wk1davidlmed.jpg

I hope you can forgive me for asking these somewhat personal questions, but you've already shared so much of yourself with your Twitter followers and millions of Adbots so I don't think you'll mind.

Since you are under 60 years of age, your tragic and untimely demise would be worth 9 points, and an additional 5 points if you should pop your clogs on May 14th.

Looks like our man has now settled on the "THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE THEY DON'T USE THEIR REAL NAMES" line of argument, ignoring basic conventions of the internet since 1993.

@Fallsound Fantasy Death League is the better known variant, except there people post under their real names.

about 14 hours ago via web in reply to Fallsound

Still, if he's so angry about people writing things about celebrities under fake names, he must have been fucking fume at David Stubbs for all that Mr Agreeable stuff, huh?

Looks like our man has now settled on the "THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE THEY DON'T USE THEIR REAL NAMES" line of argument, ignoring basic conventions of the internet since 1993.

@Fallsound Fantasy Death League is the better known variant, except there people post under their real names.

about 14 hours ago via web in reply to Fallsound

Still, if he's so angry about people writing things about celebrities under fake names, he must have been fucking fume at David Stubbs for all that Mr Agreeable stuff, huh?

I'm not all that surprised, they probably have one man and his dog playing it. Even at the beginning of DDP back in 1996 the teams were the

likes of Nick J. and Simon R. and of course Big Iain..

Yes he has changed tack hasn't he? Why isn't he condeming Fallsound for using 'real' people? I can't even find the fucking thing. He must have really been digging.

And why is he using another deadpool as a tool in his argument against deadpools in general?

Try this one for a dead pool David: http://www.stiffs.com/

These lot play for money....