maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

Sergei Novikov (wiki), huge Russian mathematician and Fields Medal winner, reportedly dead at 86.

Can't find any source at the moment.

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Sergei Novikov (wiki), huge Russian mathematician and Fields Medal winner, reportedly dead at 86.

Can't find any source at the moment.

Delete

Engineer Lynn Conway, who was notable for her role in initiating an important computer science movement known as the Mead & Conway revolution,died at 86 years:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2024-06-11/lynn-conway-leading-computer-scientist-and-transgender-pioneer-dies-at-85

She was also famous for her activism on behalf of the transgender community.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Ed Stone, physicist and former director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory dead at 88.

Computer scientist, IBM fellow and Chief Scout of Plast Lubomyr Romankiw dead at 92. Co-inventor of magnetic thin-film storage heads

Lots of longevity with computer scientists. Not an expert on the topic, therefore I've got no idea how notable these people are, but for example Thomas E. Kurtz, Jack Dennis, Willem van der Poel, Dana Scott, Peter G. Neumann, Frank Land, William Kahan, Jin Yilian, Mary Tsingou, Michael O. Rabin, Roy Clay, Robert G. Gallager and Mike Woodger are all at very advanced ages.

Just now, ladyfiona said:

Does that mean my vintage Polly Pokets may go up in price if I sell it on ebay?

Depends if they are originals, or Mattel's redesign I guess.

On 13/06/2024 at 07:10, The Immortal said:

Ed Stone, physicist and former director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory dead at 88.

Ed Stone, looking for an 'eadstone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pete Theisinger, ex-NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory engineer and project manager who lead the Mars rover missions, dead.

On 29/12/2021 at 04:22, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Awe I dared to think it might be Leonard Hayflick you were reporting on before I clicked onto the thread...

Mentioned here.

Leonard Hayflick (Wiki), Former president of the Gerontological Society of America dead at 96

Also Professor of Anatomy at the UCSF School of Medicine and Professor of Medical Microbiology at Stanford University School of Medicine.

image.png.5e9d41911d7a525c8b2d3f5722db2a4a.png

• Thanks 1

On 28/06/2024 at 14:31, arghton said:

Computer scientist, IBM fellow and Chief Scout of Plast Lubomyr Romankiw dead at 92. Co-inventor of magnetic thin-film storage heads

Lots of longevity with computer scientists. Not an expert on the topic, therefore I've got no idea how notable these people are, but for example Thomas E. Kurtz, Jack Dennis, Willem van der Poel, Dana Scott, Peter G. Neumann, Frank Land, William Kahan, Jin Yilian, Mary Tsingou, Michael O. Rabin, Roy Clay, Robert G. Gallager and Mike Woodger are all at very advanced ages.

Mentioned also on People who are dead acc to Wiki

Dutch computer scientist Willem van der Poel (Wikidead at 97

• Like 2

Emmanuel Rashba (wiki), legendary theoretical physicist whose work is being recently rediscovered, will soon be 97 and has been in frail health since he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage in 1997!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Alastair Carruthers, who along with his wife Jean, discovered/developed the cosmetic application of botulinum toxin (botox) died last week, aged 79, with the help of Canada's assisted dying legislation.

• Like 4