Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

But Belarus wasn’t and is not a popular country. If Israel is suspended it will be seen as the EBU acting in an anti - Israel manner. That won’t be acceptable to many people in the UK. 

Is there any thread safe from your nonsense?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

If Israel is suspended it will be seen as the EBU acting in an anti - Israel manner.

Suspending Israel for a song with propaganda in it when other countries have already been expelled (Belarus) or outright rejected (Georgia) is not "anti - Israel". It's called breaking the rules of the contest and facing the consequences.

The song is called "October Rain", that's certainly not a creative decision.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Father Brown said:

Suspending Israel for a song with propaganda in it when other countries have already been expelled (Belarus) or outright rejected (Georgia) is not "anti - Israel". It's called breaking the rules of the contest and facing the consequences.

The song is called "October Rain", that's certainly not a creative decision.

Ukraine won in 2016 with a propaganda song. 

Isreal knows if it is banned it will be able to get a few countires to withdraws with it due to political pressure in those countries. If Israel urged the BBC to withdraw Rishi Sunak would say he thinks the BBC should do so and they not likely to be able to withstand that pressure,.

• Facepalm 1

What a honking great pile of dog eggs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Usually the wall of facts will suffice but this non sequitur is so wtf my brain hurts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Ukraine won in 2016 with a propaganda song. 

Isreal knows if it is banned it will be able to get a few countires to withdraws with it due to political pressure in those countries. If Israel urged the BBC to withdraw Rishi Sunak would say he thinks the BBC should do so and they not likely to be able to withstand that pressure,.

1944 was about a recognised historical event and did not mention the perpetrators by name. The event concerned was also 72 years prior to the contest being held.

Israel (and Isreal for that matter) are currently talking about withdrawing if their song is deemed unsuitable without a change in the lyrics. That's their decision, not the EBU's. And Rishi Sunak and his predecessors have often tried to tell the BBC what they "should do" and have got the sum total of diddly squat out of the Corporation. Hence Gary Lineker still presents Match of the Day and their Tory Chairman was forced to resign.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Can the  UK ban themselves on the basis they are shite?

Irrelevant anyway, we could have the best song by miles and we'd still finish 2nd last just above Israel.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Irrelevant anyway, we could have the best song by miles and we'd still finish 2nd last just above Israel.

• Like 2

Plus ca change.

Eurovision is about politics not songs*

*which are universally crap anyway imo

• Like 1

Having enjoyed Eurovision since the early 70s, I have seen nothing like this. 

While I felt Ukraine's 1944 was just a dirge which was opportunistic, it wasn't relevant, just as ABBA's Waterloo wasn't relevant. 

Here, however, Israel's song to me at least is nothing but political propaganda. It should be banned, but the EBU are treading carefully as always, not just because it's Israel. If Israel want to leave, they should do so. Nobody is going to withdraw their entry on the back of that, I can assure you.

Eurovision is all about experiencing different music but the message if any in the songs should go beyond borders. Too early to say whether if it was allowed in, that Israel's song stands any chance anyway.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Having enjoyed Eurovision since the early 70s, I have seen nothing like this. 

While I felt Ukraine's 1944 was just a dirge which was opportunistic, it wasn't relevant, just as ABBA's Waterloo wasn't relevant. 

Here, however, Israel's song to me at least is nothing but political propaganda. It should be banned, but the EBU are treading carefully as always, not just because it's Israel. If Israel want to leave, they should do so. Nobody is going to withdraw their entry on the back of that, I can assure you.

Eurovision is all about experiencing different music but the message if any in the songs should go beyond borders. Too early to say whether if it was allowed in, that Israel's song stands any chance anyway.

I just don’t see the BBC being able to withstand the domestic calls to boycot an EBU that would be seen as bowing down to the anti Israel campaign it is facing. Olly Alexander’s views made the front page of a couple of Newspapers and this will be a far bigger story. 

As a big Eurovision fan as well it is very much stressing me out but mentally I am preparing for the UK to withdraw. I habe to mentally prepare for the worse as much as possible in life so I can cope. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I just don’t see the BBC being able to withstand the domestic calls to boycot an EBU that would be seen as bowing down to the anti Israel campaign it is facing. Olly Alexander’s views made the front page of a couple of Newspapers and this will be a far bigger story. 

As a big Eurovision fan as well it is very much stressing me out but mentally I am preparing for the UK to withdraw. I habe to mentally prepare for the worse as much as possible in life so I can cope. 

The EBU are not bowing down to anyone as far as I can see. It's not anything to do with Israel per se, if the song is blatantly political it has to be changed or they can fuck off.

And if Olly Alexander wants to throw a hissy fit and withdraw his song, the BBC (rather like yourself) better be prepared for the worst and have a back up. Are Scooch doing anything this May? :P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The EBU are not bowing down to anyone as far as I can see. It's not anything to do with Israel per se, if the song is blatantly political it has to be changed or they can fuck off.

And if Olly Alexander wants to throw a hissy fit and withdraw his song, the BBC (rather like yourself) better be prepared for the worst and have a back up. Are Scooch doing anything this May? :P

Olly Alexander would likely be delighted if Israel was banned as he is strong supporter of the Palestine cause. 

Several countries have faced domestic anti Israel backlash related to Eurovision (Iceland for example) so it would be seen as the EBU appeasing those campaigns. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Olly Alexande would be delighted if Israel was banned he is strong supporter of the Palestine cause. 

Several countries have faced domestic anti Israel backlash related to Eurovision (Iceland for example) so it would be seen as the EBU appeasing those campaigns. 

Hmm.

I'll say again, the EBU aren't appeasing anyone. They have their rules, if they are breached they give the country concerned an opportunity to change or leave the competition. "Oh look, they are being anti-Israel" you keep crying out. That quite simply is garbage.

Now if the song is allowed and Olly Alexander won't participate then as I made clear, he can fuck off and keep fucking off until we can't hear him fucking off any more. Flappy wristed fucking drama queen.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm.

I'll say again, the EBU aren't appeasing anyone. They have their rules, if they are breached they give the country concerned an opportunity to change or leave the competition. "Oh look, they are being anti-Israel" you keep crying out. That quite simply is garbage.

Now if the song is allowed and Olly Alexander won't participate then as I made clear, he can fuck off and keep fucking off until we can't hear him fucking off any more. Flappy wristed fucking drama queen.be gababge but it is what 

The rules are the rules but it’s what Israel will claim is what matters in terms of what the BBC will have to defend against a hostile government and press. It doesn’t matter if that’s not actually true. 

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The rules are the rules but it’s what Israel will claim is what matters in terms of what the BBC will have to defend against a hostile government and press. It doesn’t matter if that’s not actually true. 

Well I think we have come full circle on that argument.

It's all moot anyway until a decision is made. I say don't fear the reaper and keep your chin up in the hope that this like other entries in the past resolves itself.

Glass half full, and all that rot.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 01:27, The Old Crem said:

It hadn't kicked off in Gaza then.

On 23/02/2024 at 19:04, TQR said:

Never heard this expression before.. I like it B)

I read an interview today with Thérèse Steinmetz, second to last at 1967 Eurovision for The Netherlands. She still performs and I've never seen a better looking 90 year old (but well, most likely not all natural) - Greetje Kauffeld (#10 in 1961, 84 now) is interviewed as well and is also still in good shape.

web-0703CULkauffeld.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Joe Cutajar aged 83: https://timesofmalta.com/article/singer-joe-cutajar-dies-aged-83.1088155

Part of the singing duo Helen and Joseph, they placed last at the 1972 Contest held in Edinburgh.

L-imhabba

Not surprised it came last.

Shite song. Not at all helped by the fact that they're not exactly easy on the eyes. That is a schnozz and a half.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not surprised it came last.

Shite song. Not at all helped by the fact that they're not exactly easy on the eyes. That is a schnozz and a half.

Well it came last with 48 points, some countries would kill for that these days, ha!

Joe was however rewarded with a side prize of Best Singer though.

IIRC, that contest was the one we were represented by Beg Steal Or Borrow which I have to say haunts me to this day, it's a great song and I love it.

• Like 1

I've decided to have a quick look at Wiki articles for the 1950s entrants, so all dates are from English Wikipedia unless otherwise stated.

All entrants from 1958 have passed away.

Fud Leclerc (1924-2010)
Mony Marc (Portuguese Wiki puts her between b. 1934-1935)
Mathé Altéry (b. 1927)
Dany Dauberson (1925-1979)
Freddy Quinn (b. 1931)
Walter Andreas Schwarz (1913-1992)
Franca Raimondi (1932-1990)

Tonina Torrielli (b. 1934)
Michèle Arnaud (1919-1998)
Corry Brokken (1932-2016)
Jetty Paerl (1921-2013)
Lys Assia (1924-2018)

Bob Martin aka Leo Heppe (1922-1998) No English Wiki page. Source
Bobbejaan Schoepen (1925-2010)