The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

It's all over and the English have something to smile about. 3-1 and the Ashes come home. :party:

The Ashes :burnash:stay home! We already had them! :party:

Well done to the Poms, for once.

I feel that last time, you won, but didn't earn it -- Australia (Ponting more like) gifted it to you with some baffling and very poor captancy.

But this time you won it well, no questions asked.

Like I said, well done. Now, shut up and let's get on with something else.

Rugby?Union

Kiwis rule at the proper version of the game, we can't beat 'em though.

Interesting the clip you linked has an ex-league player scoring a try, Union trained players only kick goals.

See also Jason Robinson.

Anyway, it's off topic.

• Like 1

How did you find that one??????

It's all over and the English have something to smile about. 3-1 and the Ashes come home. :party:

I feel that last time, you won, but didn't earn it -- Australia (Ponting more like) gifted it to you with some baffling and very poor captancy.

Strangely we have a Welshman in "our" cricket team. I use the word lightly as I am from 'ampshire but I couldn't tell you much about the Hawks.

Could anyone confirm or deny whether a Welshman could play for England in The Ashes, out of interest like ;) Come on honez, rejoice in your victory! Rub it in by passing crap internet virals on to your colleagues.

(PS Hope you are not flooded or anything)

How did you find that one??????

Not having Sky, I follow the matches by text commentary (cricinfo, BBC, Guardian) - it was mentioned on one of those - I forget which.

Strangely we have a Welshman in "our" cricket team. I use the word lightly as I am from 'ampshire but I couldn't tell you much about the Hawks.

Could anyone confirm or deny whether a Welshman could play for England in The Ashes, out of interest like ;) Come on honez, rejoice in your victory! Rub it in by passing crap internet virals on to your colleagues.

(PS Hope you are not flooded or anything)

That particular Welshman actually played in the 2005 Ashes winning team, being pretty successful in his own right:

...finished the Ashes series with 18 wickets at an average of 21.00, and England went on to win the series 2-1, reclaiming the Ashes for the first time since 1986-87.

Still no cricket thread, just individual ones for Dolly, Bedser, Trueman and Boycott, so:

Peter Loader

The former England test fast bowler has died aged 81. He was the first Englishman to take a test hat-trick following WWII (in 1957 vs the Windies), a feat which was then not matched until Dominic Cork did so in 1995.

[edit] - ah it was here all the time!

Edited by VSBfromH
Merged with cricket thread

Fuckin' hell, it's no longer Fred Titmus

Surely the only time in DDP history a pick will have died for just two teams, both of whom were theme teams?

David Gower must have picked him too, as he's just announced it during the farce of a quarter-final going on now - the 127th rubbish not-involving-England game of this world cup.

Gerry Alexander

The former West Indies captain has died aged 82. He played in 25 tests, 18 of them as captain. He was the last white captain of the team.

Terry Jenner

The former Aussie international (9 tests in the early 70s) and mentor to Shane Warne has died aged 66.

Esmond Kentish

"Esmond Kentish, who was West Indies' oldest living cricket international [2 tests against England in 1948 and 1954], has died at age 94 in Kingston, Jamaica". He later went on to manage the international side for a spell in the 70s. He was also the first black General Manager of the Bank of Jamaica.

Former England all-rounder Allan Watkins has died aged 89.

He was the first Glamorgan player to score a test century (111 v S Africa, Jo'burg, 1949).

Bill Brown

The last survivor of an Australian team to have lost at Lords (cricket ground)

"Brown is the fourth-oldest Test cricketer, behind the New Zealanders Eric Tindill and Jack Kerr (both 94) and South African Norman Gordon (93). A very correct player, he averaged 46.82 from 22 Tests and 51.44 in first-class cricket.

"I nearly came to England but my ticker plays up a bit.

I will be watching, though. I don't know why England don't do better at Lord's. I think it's a combination of things but playing there lifts everyone."

Norman Gordon becomes the first Test cricketer to make a ton.

Neal Abberley former Warwickshire opener and coach, has died aged 67.

He was an archetypal county player, spending his whole playing career at Warks, then joining the coaching staff.

MAK "Tiger" Pataudi, one of India's greatest cricket captains and one of the last people to hold a royal entitlement in the nation, has died at 70.

Former Somerset skipper Peter Roebuck has died aged 55.

Not been a good year for former cricketers :( .

Cricketer and commentator Peter Roebuck, Somerset's former captain, has died at the age of 55. He was also the captain of Devon's cricket team for several years, before quitting following the emergence of unsavoury stories about his fondess for caning teenage cricket trainees.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Balls, I see Time got there first

Cricketer and commentator Peter Roebuck, Somerset's former captain, has died at the age of 55. He was also the captain of Devon's cricket team for several years, before quitting following the emergence of unsavoury stories about his fondess for caning teenage cricket trainees.

Aussie news reports are implying suicide: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-13/peter-roebuck-dies-at-fifty-five/3663176

EDIT: A later report confirms that it is, indeed, suicide: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-13/roebuck-death-not-suspicious-police/3663634

You might be interested in David Frith's book 'By Their Own Hand - a Study of Cricket's Suicides'. Some tragic tales to cheer you through the Winter evenings.

In an unhappy twist of fate, the author of the very sensitive forward to this book was none other than Peter Roebuck!

The latest reports are that Roebuck jumped from his sixth floor hotel room, shortly after he was visited by police investigating a report of sexual assault.