The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

As of recently I have takin up another view, another angle of this sport that has the same name as an insect. It can be compared to other sports and as a matter of fact, it is a lot like religion in a certain sense. People pray to all different gods, people cheer for different sports, but as one would love Christ and as one would love Buddha, one loves baseball and one loves cricket. The same desire is always there. I respect this now.

BS - you are truly the Salvador Dali of conversation

• Like 1

Is it me, or was that just about the worst World Cup ever?

It went on forever, we all knew who was going to be in the semis.

One of the coaches was murdered.

Most of the teams in it were rubbish.

It was played in front of a paltry attendance.

The final was a complete farce.

Australia won (again!).

They should abandon the whole competition, replace it with Twenty-Twenty...

Australia won (again!).

I don't know, maybe a five match day-nighter series with Aus v The-best-of-the-rest-of-the-world to make it less one-sided.

Australia won (again!).

The 20/20 World Cup starts in September 07 (and probably finishes in March 08 if recent events are a guide). South Africe should offer the best odds.

You are right MIB this was a terrible World Cup with, despite Woolmer's best efforts, little to excite.

And while this thread is resurrected, I picked the wrong Invincible in my team this year - Bill Johnston dies and I went for Sam Loxton instead - typical.

A bad week for cricket, Jack Kerr has gone to the great beyond.

Oddly, his death was reported in yesterday morning's paper but they didn't even have the news on their own website, so I didn't bother posting it. Mr Kerr's dismissal has no effect on Eric Tindall's average, the oldest surviving New Zealand test cricketer at 96 not out.

I came across this fellow, Horace Wass, whom Cricket Info seems to think is still alive at the ripe old age of 103. I couldn't find notice of his death anywhere, or a mention on Deathlist, I wonder if anyone more into cricket knows if he's still around?

Also, he even has a Wikipedia article.

Been over that cricket site and they seem well stattoed up, so I'm guessing they'd know if he were dead. I think he's deffo 2008 DDP material if nowt else, good spot!

I came across this fellow, Horace Wass, whom Cricket Info seems to think is still alive at the ripe old age of 103. I couldn't find notice of his death anywhere, or a mention on Deathlist, I wonder if anyone more into cricket knows if he's still around?

Sorry gents, there is exactly zero percent chance of this nobody making the 2008 list. Even his kids or grandkids probably won't even know when he goes.

Remember, we're looking for famous people likely to die

One solitary first-class game! I very much doubt he'll get a UK Obit.

Horace Wass may have only played one first class match for Derbyshire, but he did turn out occasionally for Scotland, playing against the touring 1935 South African and the 1938 Australians (against whom he took two wickets).

Wass' highest score was 129, made against Sir Julien Cahn's XI in 1937. Cahn's team had three Test players in the side, including the interesting figure of Bob Crisp, the only (so far) Test cricketer to have climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro twice.

However, Wass also played over 400 matches, mostly at right half, for Chesterfield United, and at the time of his retirement held the team's record for appearances. So maybe an obituary isn't out of the question, after all?

Sadly, his subsequent record as a glue salesman is currently unavailable on the internet.

Guest Glued Afternoon Madam

One solitary first-class game! I very much doubt he'll get a UK Obit.

Horace Wass may have only played one first class match for Derbyshire, but he did turn out occasionally for Scotland, playing against the touring 1935 South African and the 1938 Australians (against whom he took two wickets).

Wass' highest score was 129, made against Sir Julien Cahn's XI in 1937. Cahn's team had three Test players in the side, including the interesting figure of Bob Crisp, the only (so far) Test cricketer to have climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro twice.

However, Wass also played over 400 matches, mostly at right half, for Chesterfield United, and at the time of his retirement held the team's record for appearances. So maybe an obituary isn't out of the question, after all?

Sadly, his subsequent record as a glue salesman is currently unavailable on the internet.

He was fair to middling. Here's a photo of him from 1948.

iba0040l.jpg

Sorry gents, there is exactly zero percent chance of this nobody making the 2008 list. Even his kids or grandkids probably won't even know when he goes.

Remember, we're looking for famous people likely to die

Hey hey hey, direct it elsewhere mister. I've never complained about this year's DL (well, at least not as a whole :) )

Besides, this is the off topic forum I thought? I wasn't even suggesting that we add him to DL. I thought we were allowed to discuss related topics on this dark side of the board. I'll make my suggestions that you will ignore in the proper thread thank you very much.

I thought the same CP, and indeed such has been the case with information swapped on this thread that has informed DDP, poolofdeath and other picks who'd never qualify for DL status. I'm hoping to cash in on Dorothy Webb -sir Cliff's Mum - in 2007 on the basis of her flashing by on a 'dark side of the forum' post last year.

I'm tempted to risk Wass on the DDP next year on the basis that he might warrant a paragraph on the sports pages of a national, which - as I understand it - would just be good enough for that deadpool.

Obviously, I'll leave him out of my next CPDP team!

Respect, kudos, homage etc to Dimitri Mascarenhas of England, who has just scored five consecutive sixes against India. That doesn't happen very often. They're going loopy on the radio commentry.

Respect, kudos, homage etc to Dimitri Mascarenhas of England, who has just scored five consecutive sixes against India. That doesn't happen very often. They're going loopy on the radio commentry.

Excuse my ignorance as I've never heard of him. Is he as English as Kevin Pietersen? Or just another ringer.

"...but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me."

Excuse my ignorance as I've never heard of him. Is he as English as Kevin Pietersen? Or just another ringer.

"...but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me."

He was actually born in England, but grew up in Australia - hence his cricketing skills.

Guest John Arlott

It's as well that he did, as Mr Ganguly and Mr Tendulkar are making merry mincemeat of England's bowling in reply.

A Cracker of a game, and I'm glad to say I was there! Getting slowly hammered in the late-summer sunshine and watching sixes fly over your head with a bunch of noisy Indian and England supporters. Quality entertainment.

It's as well that he did, as Mr Ganguly and Mr Tendulkar are making merry mincemeat of England's bowling in reply.

Sad to report the death of Horace Brearley, who only played five first class matches between 1937 and 1949 (War stopped play). However, as the father of Mike Brearley, his contribution to English cricket cannot be underestimated.

• Like 1