The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Not been a good year for former cricketers :( .

On the other hand, he's my second DDP hit of the year.

Coincidentally, both were former test cricketers.

• Like 1

And that is why you are Admin and I am not :-)

I thought it was because you are Welsh and devoid of personality.

My inability to find an obvious thread has nothing to do with either, that was down to basic incompetence.

What was the point of your insulting post?

I thought it was because you are Welsh and devoid of personality.

My inability to find an obvious thread has nothing to do with either, that was down to basic incompetence.

What was the point of your insulting post?

Basic incompetence and being Welsh may be related :P

Former 'invincible' Sam Loxton has died aged 90.He was Australia's oldest living Test cricketer.

Another (unique) hit for Ashes to Ashes when the obit comes.

Indian test cricketer Yuraj Singh, 31, might be worth keeping an eye on. In November he announced that a tumour had been found on his lung, but that it was benign. Now he's returning to the UK to see an oncologist and "doesn't know" if he will need chemotherapy. It seems very odd that a straightforward benign growth wasn't just surgically removed. Also, benign tumours don't generally respond to chemotherapy.

Indian test cricketer Yuraj Singh, 31, might be worth keeping an eye on. In November he announced that a tumour had been found on his lung, but that it was benign. Now he's returning to the UK to see an oncologist and "doesn't know" if he will need chemotherapy. It seems very odd that a straightforward benign growth wasn't just surgically removed. Also, benign tumours don't generally respond to chemotherapy.

Early stage lung carcinoid tumour.

New Zealander Peter Sharp, a former Canterbury offspinner and commentator, has died aged 72 of cancer.

If an obit turns up, it's a hit for 2 teams on the DDP.

Former West Indian cricketer Runako Morton has been killed in a car crash. He was 33 and had a somewhat chequered career.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

Former England cricketer Alan Igglesden has given a cheery interview about how he has survived for 10 years with an inoperable brain tumour. Wikipedia says the average survival time for someone with his particular diagnosis, a grade 2 oligodendroglioma, is 11.6 years, so worth keeping an eye on.

An update on Alan Iggelsden, who still seems to be in pretty good shape, after all these years with brain cancer.

Louis Vorster

The South African born batsman, who went on to represent Namibia at international level, has been shot dead during an armed robbery. He was 45.

Today's Guardian reporting the death of Jack Hyams...cricketer who played into his nineties, and clocked up incredible figures for games played and overall runs scored in a lifetime.

Kevin Curran

The former Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire fast bowler, who also represented Zimbabwe at international level, has collapsed and died whilst out jogging. He was 53.

Tony Greig diagnosed with lung cancer

Tony Greig, the former England captain, has been diagnosed with a form of lung cancer and will undergo a biopsy later this week to determine at what stage the disease is at and what the required course of action would be

http://www.espncrici...ory/587398.html

Tony Greig, the former England captain, has been diagnosed with a form of lung cancer and will undergo a biopsy later this week to determine at what stage the disease is at and what the required course of action would be

Greig was mentioned on our weekend cricket broadcast. No real details on his illness but another of the commentators sent him his best wishes, stating "I know Tony will be watching this from home" so he at least doesn't seem to be hospitalised at this stage.

Dead.

Just couldn't make it 3 more days, could you Tony?

EDIT: Now with BBC obit, to really hammer in the blow to my DDP entry.

Edited by angryGreatness