Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Discuss The 2013 Deathlist

"They don't listen" I was told when I posted Peter Sallis as a suggestion, but there he is making his Death List debut. I don't know whether to feel proud or a bit ashamed of myself...

Still don't want him to die though :(

Yeah yeah gloat over.

Good list of names this year, should be a good year for DL.

Why was Ariel Sharon left off?

Because word on the street is he isn't ill at all he was simply put into an induced coma to stop his fat ass eating.

Johan Friso should have been included.

Guest robsatoz

Good luck to all this years entrants. It really is a great honour to represent your species

I think the list is very up in age which makes it very unpredictable so it could be a very prolific 2013.

Hopefully 2013 will be a good year for The Death List

• Like 1

I'm surprised people haven't heard of Nicholas Parsons, the only ones I hadn't heard of were Henry Cecil and the Fifa guy. Seems a good enough list, surprised Bill Pertwee wasn't on it though.

I'm surprised people haven't heard of Nicholas Parsons, the only ones I hadn't heard of were Henry Cecil and the Fifa guy. Seems a good enough list, surprised Bill Pertwee wasn't on it though.

Havelange is the sporting equivalent of a Thatcher, I wouldn't be sorry to see him notch up a point for the Deathlist, but sadly I expect him to hold on by hook or by crook till the Brazil World Cup in 2014.

I think that it is a good list. I think the likes of Parsons and Sallis are trying to replace (or at least fill the void of) Dunn. Though I think Sallis is far more likely to go to that great sitcom in sky than Parsons.

Edited by Long-timeLurker

I don't get the impression that Parsons is going anywhere soon.

For those who are not familiar with his work on "Just a Minute" and "Sale of the Century" he also dabbled as an actor. His turn as Rev. Wainwright in Doctor Who - The Curse of Fenric is well worth checking out.

Guest UzbekJohn

I really must object to the intro to the 2013 Deathlist!!!

What a great list....I'm confident you can knock up a big score this year (although not so sure about Denis Healey...he'll definitely reach 100)...

BUT......whoever wrote it, shame on you. You cannot say "Comprised OF". Either "comprised" or "consisted of".

Please....don't give the site a bad name!!!

Thought I'd be the twat this year who starts the thread to capture initial impressions about the all-singing, all-dancing brand new DeathList when it is posted in a few hours' time.

My initial reaction was there are a lot of people well past 90 which kind of shifts it to a stronger chance of getting hits. It's a list with many names I don't recognize and a few who I thought had already succumbed to the grip of death.

Not really bad over all I am content for the most part with the picks.

I hope this list will give us at least as good a performance as 2012.

I think it has the names on here to do so.

Good work.

It's pretty much a good list. Trouble with there being only 50 places, it's difficult to decide who gets dropped from it.

Hopefully the ones that were borderline can survive another year and if many from the list die, there will be space available. (Unless of course someone else takes a huge turn for the worse).

Guest Guested

Parsons is the obvious rogue choice who looks highly unlikely to croak in 2013. Most of the others are at least plausible candidates.

Parsons is the obvious rogue choice who looks highly unlikely to croak in 2013. Most of the others are at least plausible candidates.

What's implausible about the death of someone pushing 90??

Guest Guested

He may drop this year but it would have to be odds against. He doesn't look nearly 90 and is still pretty active. He could just as easily live another ten years than die this year.

He may drop this year but it would have to be odds against. He doesn't look nearly 90 and is still pretty active. He could just as easily live another ten years than die this year.

He could just as easily die in his sleep

That's not strictly true, is it?

He's 89 years old. According to The Guardian his generation have a less than a 7.2% chance of reaching 100 from their current age.

Sorry, above post aimed at Guested...

Sorry, above post aimed at Guested...

Is ok, I figured it out

Glad to see two Aussies making their debuts. :)

Although I think everyone would prefer a different Australian to depart the land of the living this year!

I am interested in knowing what the non-British posters think of the selection of names on the 2013 Deathlist.

Are all of the names familiar or do you consider them too parochial?

There are plenty of global significance but I have been sent scurrying to Wiki by some mid-Atlantic picks (the only current one I would put in the category is Al Molinaro)

Are there other Deathlists in other countries or is the best site in all the world?

I think the current list is very good and I look forward to how the year unfolds.

There are quite a few UK names I'm only familiar with through deadpooling ie Parsons, Nolan, Cecil. However I don't mind, in my eyes that's part of DL's charm, introducing me to interesting names that I otherwise wouldn't be familiar with.

I think the deathlist did a great job picking people from a wide variety of fields. I think at most there is only 3-4 names on there I would say are parochial, but I imagine if there was a canadian or us version of deathlist and you were trying to include a intl list of 50 you would still every year get a few names here and there that are mostly parochial.