Lewd_Squirrel

Stairway To Heaven/ Highway To Hell

Bryan Spinks (aka Shredrik McRiffripper Constantinople), who played guitar in a number of doom metal and crust punk bands hailing from Seattle - including Öroku, Samothrace, Christianistan, has died aged 44.

https://www.facebook.com/hailconan/posts/pfbid02erA5HP2vaWdL9UG7dTXs7m7eDezP1dyfgqXSPWN8xqvgTJf1v3ZBdYVUPUVSezwzl

50 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

He was the last remaining member of the so-called classical lineup of the band, he is also the first of the original members of the band to have his death announced publicly.

Damn RIP classic one hit wonder.

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

He was the last remaining member of the so-called classical lineup of the band, he is also the first of the original members of the band to have his death announced publicly.

Why weren't the other deaths announced publicly?

• Like 1

Dammit! Missed opportunity in my last ones list.

11 hours ago, lilham said:

At least one of them - drummer Ron Bushy - was, because the band themselves issued a statement. To be clear Iron Butterfly is still a going concern and they're in there with other long-running institutions in having so many members in and out over the years that even the die-hards in the fanbase would struggle to name the lot of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Butterfly#Former

• Like 1

So now they are what may be termed a Trigger's Broom band.

On 25/05/2024 at 22:26, lilham said:

Minor correction - apparently the bassist had died back in 2016.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2024 at 13:05, Toast said:

So now they are what may be termed a Trigger's Broom band.

Hell yeah, if you wanted to be totally cynical they're the kind of tribute band who can wing it onto the bill of a classic rock festival in the US. In their case the difference between tribute and on-going genuine band is marginal at best. When they rock into 2026 they'll pass a bizarre milestone for a working band - 50 years since they made a studio album! 

A very grey area indeed. So, this year, for example, I'll see Curved Air and Gong, both - I'd say - going concerns, though Curved Air went 38 years between studio albums and the current Gong have nobody from their days as route one go-to sounds for spliff lovers.

By contrast I saw Atomic Rooster not that long ago and their claim to authenticity makes Iron Butterfly look like The Rolling Stones. S'cuse the music industry lecture here but what determines this is legal, is pretty much a contract by which you can prove you're the genuine band. In cases like Iron Butterfly there's (I guess) always been a line up with a management contract and gigs to fulfill,  meaning the band can hire and fire and show continuity. Curved Air have mustered key originals - mainly singer Sonia Kristina - and that, a contract, and the absence of anyone else claiming to be Curved Air, is enough to get them gigs and a recording contract. Atomic Rooster, or so I heard, was basically a guy who'd been in the band briefly when they could barely get arrested, assembling a line up and then doing a deal with the widow of the guy who founded the band (and who has the rights to their stuff since her husband died), liscensing them to get out there.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2024 at 04:00, maryportfuncity said:

Hell yeah, if you wanted to be totally cynical they're the kind of tribute band who can wing it onto the bill of a classic rock festival in the US. In their case the difference between tribute and on-going genuine band is marginal at best. When they rock into 2026 they'll pass a bizarre milestone for a working band - 50 years since they made a studio album! 

A very grey area indeed. So, this year, for example, I'll see Curved Air and Gong, both - I'd say - going concerns, though Curved Air went 38 years between studio albums and the current Gong have nobody from their days as route one go-to sounds for spliff lovers.

By contrast I saw Atomic Rooster not that long ago and their claim to authenticity makes Iron Butterfly look like The Rolling Stones. S'cuse the music industry lecture here but what determines this is legal, is pretty much a contract by which you can prove you're the genuine band. In cases like Iron Butterfly there's (I guess) always been a line up with a management contract and gigs to fulfill,  meaning the band can hire and fire and show continuity. Curved Air have mustered key originals - mainly singer Sonia Kristina - and that, a contract, and the absence of anyone else claiming to be Curved Air, is enough to get them gigs and a recording contract. Atomic Rooster, or so I heard, was basically a guy who'd been in the band briefly when they could barely get arrested, assembling a line up and then doing a deal with the widow of the guy who founded the band (and who has the rights to their stuff since her husband died), liscensing them to get out there.

You've got bands like Curved Air with a key original but a huge hiatus, then Gong with basically none but founder's approval. It's about what fans prioritize - the classic sound or a connection to history.

A killer performance that captures the band's spirit might satisfy some fans.

On 08/09/2023 at 09:49, ObakeFilter said:

Tom Davies, bassist of stoner rock bands The Freeks and Nebula has reportedly passed away at the age of 48 following a battle with Leukemia.

https://metalinjection.net/this-is-just-a-tribute/nebula-bassist-tom-davies-dead-at-48-years-old

Ranch Sironi, who replaced Davies after his passing - has pulled a Spinal Tap maneuver by dying. 

https://metalinjection.net/this-is-just-a-tribute/nebula-bassist-ranch-sironi-has-died

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Already posted.  Grr.