Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 30/11/2021 at 11:01, arghton said:

102-year old "Nanda Sir" Nanda Prusty received the Padma Shri award three weeks ago:

And has now been hospitalised and is in critical condition with covid, fever and "old-age ailments"

Seems like Pappammal was also in that video, in a wheelchair in the background. And that Prusty's age went from 98 to 102 in a couple of weeks?

Dead

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drol said:

Another post where the name is not included. :facepalm: 

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

Another post where the name is not included. :facepalm: 

I explicitely want Sir Creep to report it one week later.

Oh, well, he ain't use the search function anyway...

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 17:26, arghton said:

Alive centenarians from countries and dependencies with smaller populations.  (under 20 million, only ones born over 100 years before this post.)

*snip*

New Zealand: (5,1 million)

Lloyd Geering, theologian (born 26th of February 1918)

Thomas W. Horton, RAF WWII veteran (born 26th of December 1919)

*snip*

Thomas W. Horton (wikidead just short of 102.

• Like 4

Lloyd Geering, 103, who I mentioned in that post was widowed two months ago. He's now a three-time widower (1949, 2001, 2021) which is probably quite rare.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 12/11/2021 at 20:10, arghton said:

virtamo.png.861bf4a78bafaadf4e0c1c3402c9608a.png

Virtamo two days ago. (Posted here https://twitter.com/sotaveteraanit)

Keijo Virtamo (1919-2021, Finnish wiki page and imdb) Finnish tv show contestant and encyclopedist died on 19th of November, 9 days after this picture was taken. Can't find an online obituary anywhere (yet) but apparently there was one in Helsingin Sanomat (the obits seem to be behind a paywall) yesterday. 

Last survivor of a lot of things including many of the 60s tv shows he was in, was the last living Naapurivisa participant and the last living member of the "Ace Regiment" Jalkaväkirykmentti 11 in the Winter War 1939-1940. He seems to have been bedbound for over two years but was mentally sharp until the end. 

Edit: Ilta-Sanomat confirmation

• Like 2

On 12/03/2021 at 17:26, arghton said:

Alive centenarians from countries and dependencies with smaller populations.  (under 20 million, only ones born over 100 years before this post.)

*snip*

Hungary: (9,7 million)

Maria Gomori, family therapist (born 25th of May 1920)

Ágnes Keleti, olympic gymnast (born 9th of January 1921)

*snip*

Hungarian-born Canadian family therapist Maria Gomori (wikidead at 101.

• Like 3

Shirley Zussman (wiki), American sex therapist, being reported dead at 107 by the NY Times. She was still seeing patients until her retirement at 105.

An unusual case where subject was an extreme age and had a Wikipedia page for years, but because it wasn't categorised, barely anyone knew it existed. A pity, because she would've got a QO via The Sun!

Her sister died in 2016, aged 104, so presumably it's the genes, and not all the shagging that kept them alive for so long.

429.jpg.6da7b9d65cc5ced5e3149ded663de4a3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

On 01/12/2021 at 20:42, arghton said:

An interesting name I stumbled upon a while ago...

Itoi Kanji (Japanese wiki page), celebrating his 101st birthday on the 2nd of December, already 101 as he lives in Japan and it's past midnight there. He's an avantgarde artist, dadaist and the "father of Japanese Happening art", was a coal miner during WWII and did hard physical work until the 1950s when he became an artist. These happenings, including nude ones caused him to get arrested multiple times in the 60s and the 70s, was also sent into a psychiatric hospital atleast once.

itoi1.png.e4ee126f2af8ceb50c6e92c5c23b2bc9.png

Worked until atleast the 2010s. Picture from last year:

kanji.png.481793c3c09e84f39ecf507ff7cc1085.png

Itoi Kanji dead at 101.

• Like 3

Sad news, he was a very interesting centenarian, forced to work at a coal mine during WWII with US POWs and detained Koreans, later being trained to become some kind of a "self-destruct soldier" and after the war returning to work at a coal mine because he didn't succeed in starting his business.

And of course having been sent into a psychiatric hospital due to his art. Probably wasn't a very easy life. Apparently died peacefully in his sleep, got to see his new exhibition two weeks ago:

kanji2.png.aa210d84513cf1f919c51f05fce21b8b.pngkanji.png.2bc469618ce2fab5bbf25403b081c227.png

Twitter reporting the death of Keith Rae (wiki), 104, who has been the oldest living Aussie rules footballer since 2017.

More interestingly, he served in the Royal Australian Navy during WWII, and was onboard the HMAS Nestor when it was attacked and sunk by Italian bombers near Crete in 1942.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://www.thehansindia.com/telangana/legendary-ball-badminton-player-jammalamadaka-pichaiah-passes-away-in-warangal-721738

Jammalamadaka Pichaiah (Telugu wiki page), Indian ball badminton player and "grand old man" of the sport dead at 103 ("more" or less). Article claims that he was born in 1918 and celebrated his 104th birthday this week :scratchhead:

East Asian reckoning counts the day you were born as your first birthday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 06/10/2021 at 22:15, arghton said:

Doing a bit of research, here's a list of Indian centenarians marked living on wikipedia + potential soon-to-be centenarians (2021 or 2022). Here's who are alive after the deaths of 2021:

1922:

Krishnarao Gulabrao Deshmukh (8th of March 1922-Alive?) Politician, Lok Sabha member 1967-1977

P. A. Thomas (22nd of March 1922-Alive?) Director, producer

Narendra R Deoghare (2nd of May 1922-Alive?) Politician, Lok Sabha member 1967-1971

S. G. Balekundri (5th of May 1922-Alive?) Irrigation expert. Doesn't seem to be alive, could have died a very long time ago.

Krishnarao Gulabrao Deshmukh died on the 24th of October 1992 according to wikipedia, source is a Parliament of India page I can't access. 

S. G. Balekundri is dead, there are articles calling him "late S. G. Balekundri" from over seven years ago. One wikipedia editor mentioned that he died in 1993 and some facebook pictures posted by the institute named after him also mention that he died back then.

No idea about Deoghare, likely long gone. P. A. Thomas could be alive, was alive at the start of the century. 

28 minutes ago, arghton said:

Krishnarao Gulabrao Deshmukh died on the 24th of October 1992 according to wikipedia, source is a Parliament of India page I can't access. 

S. G. Balekundri is dead, there are articles calling him "late S. G. Balekundri" from over seven years ago. One wikipedia editor mentioned that he died in 1993 and some facebook pictures posted by the institute named after him also mention that he died back then.

No idea about Deoghare, likely long gone. P. A. Thomas could be alive, was alive at the start of the century. 

The source was added by me. The website looks like it's experiencing downtime. Here's a cached version of the source.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, arghton said:

Also me.

Several reliable sources refer to him as the late. The 1993 year comes from this blog (a non-Wiki friendly source), which mentions a plaque honouring his life.

• Like 1

American ophtalmologist Stanley M. Truhlsen dead at 101.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

I thought she had been mentioned on here before by drol or arghton but the search engine is turning up nada.

Fatima Kuinova (wiki), Tajik singer, dead one day after her 101st birthday, according to her family on Facebook.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Great, today only young people were dying. I thought Kuinova was already dead, good luck with an obit.

EDIT: The FB post is an obituary, but on their site I could not find it.

On 24/01/2021 at 16:55, drol said:

Now Charlie Njonjo tuned 101 and is still fit as a fiddle.

Charles Njonjo dead aged 101.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1