Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2014

I'll pretty much need a few other of my low-hangers to wither to pull off a win... hopefully this month finishes off my two remaining supercents and any one low-obit terminal.

I'll pretty much need a few other of my low-hangers to wither to pull off a win... hopefully this month finishes off my two remaining supercents and any one low-obit terminal.

Indeed, this is a Deathrace like no other. The fast, furious fuckin' good fun claim is looking a bit hollow as of mid-June. The last race this dull was eventually abandoned. Clearly one problem this year is the tonnage of joker picks apparently wasted on Wilko, but there's a tonnage of reticent talent - Billy Graham has a few jokers including mine resting on his frail shoulders. - just hangin' on grimly, and still worthy of 200 odd points as of today.

Two scoring deaths today, podium positions stay the same but Ali makes a big dent in the lead and Time shifts to mid-table with Francis Matthews' points.

Death Impends – 1457

Rotten Ali - 1444

Maryportfuncity – 1176

MSC – 1071

The Engineer - 1000

Book – 996

Estuarian Float – 974

Toast - 870

Uschi – 669

Time – 662

Damon Killian – 574

Bibliogryphon – 512

Whitehouse - 359

Captain Chorizo - 309

MPFC has there been a deathrace were the target number was never reached within that year?

MPFC has there been a deathrace were the target number was never reached within that year?

Yeah, you'll notice a missing year on our list of champions at the start of the thread. That was entirely down to a disappointling lack of early deaths and big scores. Race abandoned in early autumn, with lower scores in evidence than the 2014 leaders are currently showing.

Another barrel-scraper down with Jim Bamber http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114582

Guessing that AutoSport counts for a reliable source?

Hell yeah, you say barrel scraper, I say inspired choice and your lead us duly extended by another 194 points.

• Like 1

The state of play after Bamber and Wallach points are added:

Scoreboard

Death Impends – 1651

Rotten Ali - 1444

Maryportfuncity – 1176

The Engineer - 1190

MSC – 1071

Book – 996

Estuarian Float – 974

Toast - 870

Damon Killian – 764

Uschi – 669

Time – 662

Bibliogryphon – 512

Whitehouse - 359

Captain Chorizo - 309

The state of play after Bamber and Wallach points are added:

Scoreboard

Death Impends – 1651

Rotten Ali - 1444

Maryportfuncity – 1176

The Engineer - 1190

MSC – 1071

Book – 996

Estuarian Float – 974

Toast - 870

Damon Killian – 764

Uschi – 669

Time – 662

Bibliogryphon – 512

Whitehouse - 359

Captain Chorizo - 309

Been reet busy this week, but if I'm not right in assuming no movement since 25 June, could someone enlighten me and I'll add the necessary points, my target is to make this thread as long and interesting as Mark Cavendish's path to glory on the Tour de France. Don't spoil my fun, I taped it...just off to see him win the first stage!

• Like 1

OK Lets talk numbers.

Today is worth 175 points. Since one week ago our leader Death Impends needs 3 deaths to make the total. That will go up to 4 at the end of September.

He has Sam Simon, he has Billy Graham and he has the oldest woman in the world.

Come on he can do this.

I however need nine deaths or eight and Liz Dawn.

• Like 1

OK Lets talk numbers.

Today is worth 175 points. Since one week ago our leader Death Impends needs 3 deaths to make the total. That will go up to 4 at the end of September.

Come on he can do this.

An astute anaysis, I would only add that the randomness of this year makes all predictions something of a hostage to fortune. The oldest woman in the world would usually present herself as Deathrace gold, but 2014 has been a lesson for people who like to bet on apparent certainties.

If I'd have entered this year, would I have won it with my DDP team?

Wait, just checked:

Steve Evans - 700 points

Amiri Baraka - 357

Claudio Abbado - 346

Marlise Munoz - 340

Casey Kasem - 200

1943 points. So no.

OK Lets talk numbers.

Come on he can do this.

As it stands, here's how I see the chances of my remaining thirteen:

Simon seems certain to go very soon, poor guy looks worse and worse every new pic we get of him.

Raymond Gravel seems likely. (recently been to hospital, little news since)

Graham, Okawa, Lang, Lee Kuan Yew, Whitlam, Zhou Youguang - all at the age where they could die at anytime, although Graham and Okawa especially show how unpredictable the fogeys can be.

Douglas Myers is tough to tell, little news on him after a fall in February.

Oriani-Ambrosini probably won't, he still has cancer but his lungs are free of it.

Wilko, Schumi, Alby Schultz are no goes.

Which makes eight, perhaps nine, with the potential to score in the coming months.

Wait, just checked:

Steve Evans - 700 points

Amiri Baraka - 357

Claudio Abbado - 346

Marlise Munoz - 340

Casey Kasem - 200

1943 points. So no.

But a clear lead and enough points in the bank that you could top the magic 2014 with one more death by mid October. There's always next year for a player of your vision, Spade, but it'll be a whopping 2015 points for a win by then.

Zohra Segal from my list just died. Although futile to my chances cause the worlds oldest types have refused to die this year so far.

edit also Carla Laemmle from my list died in June

Wait, just checked:

Steve Evans - 700 points

Amiri Baraka - 357

Claudio Abbado - 346

Marlise Munoz - 340

Casey Kasem - 200

1943 points. So no.

But a clear lead and enough points in the bank that you could top the magic 2014 with one more death by mid October. There's always next year for a player of your vision, Spade, but it'll be a whopping 2015 points for a win by then.

Can we have bigger teams next year?

Wait, just checked:

Steve Evans - 700 points

Amiri Baraka - 357

Claudio Abbado - 346

Marlise Munoz - 340

Casey Kasem - 200

1943 points. So no.

Can we have bigger teams next year?

Hell yeah,pick as many obese people as you like but limit them to 20 per team.

• Like 1

Zohra Segal from my list just died. Although futile to my chances cause the worlds oldest types have refused to die this year so far.

edit also Carla Laemmle from my list died in June

Found reputable newspapers online - including The Independent for the most recent death - 376 pts duly accrued and the captain flies from the the bottom of list to a position he could claim as mid-table.

Kind of my fault, as a bunch of folk who were in the final lot removed before I gave my Deathrace list in (Simon Hoggart, Alicia Rhett, Elizabeth Jane Howard, Lord McAlpine and Fernand Leduc) all promptly rewarded my faith in their existence by carking it by mid-January!

Still, thats the bugger of prediction!

The prolonging of this game just goes to show how poor my choices were. At least last year I only had until February until I could cast the list into the WPB. I am sitting last but one. I keep looking at my team and thinking they should do better. I do not think it is a bad list. Come on people.

For those who have some semblance of a life and can't be arsed to check the scoreboard let it be noted that James Garner's death gifts Ali a unique pick, consolidates second place and cuts di's lead to 42 points. The Deathtrudge trudges onwards in its deathly fashion, or summat.

For those who have some semblance of a life and can't be arsed to check the scoreboard let it be noted that James Garner's death gifts Ali a unique pick, consolidates second place and cuts di's lead to 42 points. The Deathtrudge trudges onwards in its deathly fashion, or summat.

And Dora Bryan's death has caused a minor stirring down below. I've awarded points to the two teams that picked her.

• Like 2

And Dora Bryan's death has caused a minor stirring down below. I've awarded points to the two teams that picked her.

Oooh, I say, missus. :o

• Like 1

Farmiloe points duly awarded, no rearrangement of the running order (though Whitehouse now keeps close order at the back and loses a threat of being lapped). The Deathtrudge, trudges onwards.