DevonDeathTrip

Vladimir Putin

It's an emotionally laden subject' date=' of course I'm angry at all parties who made it impossible to start work in the area. But now it's a matter of reaching our goals after all. I'll keep taking every opportunity to get attention for this.[/quote']

I'm not impressed.

I bet you aren't.

[comment snipped for brevity]

I agree by and large with your comments. I think mr Rutte's approach, practical rather than confrontational, is the rational one. I also know that what he most wants now, the facts, is difficult to get while there's a war on. There's a much larger goal, which is to bring the people responsible for the crash to justice. For that to happen we must first learn who that are. I'm certain that "taking every opportunity to get attention for this" is a necessary condition for the investigation, I'm not convinced it's sufficient.

In this kind of game it's the result that counts. It'll take time for results, if any, to become apparent.

Just for the record: I didn't vote for mr Rutte. He's the only PM in town, so I'll have to make do.

regards,

Hein

• Like 3

One other point that people may find of interest is that I have always suspected that Abbott has modeled his image on that of Putin. He tries to portray himself as an "action man" and does photo opportunities of himself competing at sports, bare chested, just as the Russian leader has done. That is why it is interesting to now see them clashing.

Abbott and Putin also both have the persona of being the "hard men" of their respective country's political scenes. Abbott was John Howard's attack dog and, until the Labor leadership woes, many people thought he would be unelectable in his own right and, since the election and especially since the budget, his popularity has plummeted in the polls. That is why he is using this, and the war against the ISIS movement, to shore up support amongst his hardline, right-wing, nationalist, populist working class support base.

• Like 1

This full on "shirtfront" idea, if properly carried out in an football fashion, could get Abbot shot by Putin's bodyguards.

ince the election and especially since the budget, his popularity has plummeted in the polls. That is why he is using this, and the war against the ISIS movement, to shore up support amongst his hardline, right-wing, nationalist, populist working class support base.

Aha, the outside enemy diversionary tactic. It sometimes works, but students of political history know that it often bites back.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Guest Alexei Miller

"As a middle level imperialist power, completely dependent on the US strategically and without economic or other ties to Russia, it is free to function as a kind of political attack dog for Washington as the US pursues its drive for global domination."

:D Wow, I suddenly feel I'm in the 1950s, listening to Stalin's denunciation of Tito as a "chained dog of the American imperialists". But anachronistic rhetoric aside, there is certainly a grain of truth in what they say about the attitude of the Australians.

Guest Anwar Muhammad MD

Cancer rumours still circulating.

Some things in these articles just don't add up for me.

Yeah, he may have cancer. I guess many people wish he had cancer. But the types of cancers they come up with are not strengthening their case. Primary cancers of the spinal cord are incredibly rare, and if the back pain is the only symptom they have to explain, they could have come up with at least a dozen of more likely causes. Scoliosis, hernia/slipped discs, back muscle strain, osteoarthritis, injuries sustained while practicing Judo - all of these far more prevalent than cancers of the spinal cord. Of course, it could be metastasis, but then where is the primary site.

The pancreatic cancer theory is also implausible for a different reason. Unless you are lucky enough to be diagnosed with a rare type of pancreatic cancer (endocrine tumour - like the one Steve Jobs had) or the cancer is spotted early so it can be surgically resected, you are unlikely to live for 3 more years. Chemotherapy may be able to buy you a year but not much more - and the cancer+the treatment are quite crippling even before that year is up, so we'd already be seeing him delegating some of his duties to a designated successor. On the other hand, if the cancer could be resected, the doctors would be hopeful about a recovery, so he wouldn't be told that he only has three years left.

I don't mean to be rude to the family of Putin, but...

DIE PUTIN! DIE YOU EVIL ******* DEMON!

DIE NOW!!!!!! :rant:

Well, I'm sure that Putin is someone not many would really miss if he went the way of the dodo.

Guest Guest

I thought Surely it can't be true.Vladimirt Putin dead? It would be far too good to be true ! Isn't it?....

rumours continue to spread that Vladimir Putin has indeed died ! http://beforeitsnews.com/israel/2015/03/unconfirmed-russian-internet-rumors-that-vladimir-putin-is-dead-2449902.html Very interesting !

But a short announcement of Putin’s death was seen briefly on Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev’s website early Thursday, only to be removed after 20 minutes. According to officials in Moscow, Putin was expected in Kazakhstan Thursday for meetings with its leaders, but failed to turn up.

Odd. Surely if they were trying to delay announcement of his death for whatever reason, that wouldn't have made its way onto the interweb.

Maybe what's happened is some of those 4chan nerds that were mentioned in the "The Interpreter" story hacked his website and put that false announcement up... you know, "for the lulz".

No need to worry. Putler is in good health.

There are also rumours about a botox injection gone wrong, or that some powerful people in the background (ex-KGB) might try to topple Putin because his economic course has led to disaster.

By the way, I like that in the top 5 "Most read in news" in the Mirror they seem to have a special news category for "boobs" (which, of course, is at the top at the moment).

• Like 1

There are also rumours about a botox injection gone wrong, or that some powerful people in the background (ex-KGB) might try to topple Putin because his economic course has led to disaster.

By the way, I like that in the top 5 "Most read in news" in the Mirror they seem to have a special news category for "boobs" (which, of course, is at the top at the moment).

Well, that's understandable. Boobs make the world go round.

Cor look at them knockers

• Like 1

Possible, but since he only has been away for like 5 days, it could be something trivial like appendicitis or a bad case of flu. I hope it's terminal anal cancer, though...
Richard Galpin at BBC News Moscow also speculates that he might just have a bad case of flu (great minds think alike, ain't they?;)), but some also think that a coup may be in the background. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31897304

Monday could bring an end to these rumours as Putin is set to meet his Kyrgyz colleague Atembayev. Or it may fuel them in case he fails to turn up...

rumours continue to spread that Vladimir Putin has indeed died ! http://beforeitsnews.com/israel/2015/03/unconfirmed-russian-internet-rumors-that-vladimir-putin-is-dead-2449902.html Very interesting !

Re those rumours:

Our unique angle on these subjects – and strong intelligence dimension – has earned DEBKAfile a global reputation and a steady readership – which skyrockets in times of crisis.

So, lots of people visit the site, but they won't present a stat on their accuracy.

• Like 2