Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Zorders

Who Should Be On The 2015 Deathlist?

As for people who don't know who Andy Partridge is then compulsary listening to Senses Working Overtime should follow until they agree it is the best song ever.

OK, but I don't know the names of every member of every band who recorded a few decent songs.

TBH the first thing that sprang to mind was a radio presenter, but I was probably thinking of Alan Partridge. :lol:

To be fair this inclusion probably says more about me than anything else. XTC are hardly massive even in the UK and SWO was their only top 10 hit, and that only reached number 10, but I was trying to think of a musician who was very British who was part of a band along the lines of Wilko Johnson. I suppose I could have picked one of the members of Bananarama but I could be bothered to look them up.

Suggestion to Deathlist: stop including unknown people. Examples from this year's list include: Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead and Joost van der Westhuizen. I live in Canada and am reasonably well informed. These people are totally unknown to me.

These two statements don't seem to tally.

I did have to look up JvdW but I presumed my total lack of interest in Rugby made that understandable.

Even if you didn't know Wilko Johnson's name you would have heard of Dr Hook therefore I think his inclusion was more than justified combined with his high profile battle with cancer.

Chris Woodhead is an odd one there have even been some UK comments on is he famous enough to be on here but we would happily inlcude Union Leaders and Churchmen so appointed high powered public officials should be fair game. To extend the Wilko analogy you may not know his name but you understand what Ofsted is right?

If Steve of Canada ever does I have a little quiz for him.

Ten thoroughly British types how many of them would you consider worthy of going on the list (ie you have heard of them)

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Note even if you are not Steve of Canada you can comment on this list of Britishness.

Thanks. I will take up the challenge. :)

My take on it all:

1. Yes, internationally famous.

2. No, I had to Google him but someone a bit older than me would probably be familiar with the name.

3. I Googled him and I still not sure which Bill Morris you mean... :P Is it the cricketer? https://en.wikipedia...sambiguation%29

4. No, his television shows aren't internationally known.

5. The only Partridge musicians I know of are the Partridge family. ;) That's probably more a reflection on me though since I don't follow pop music that much. I have vaguely heard of XTC and I might even know a song or two if you played them for me.

6. Yes, internationally famous.

7. Yes, internationally famous.

8. No, I had never heard of her until I Googled her just now. Not known internationally.

9. Yes, internationally famous (mainly because of his daughter.)

10. No, I avoid soapies like the plague at the best of times and I don't think Coronation Street is even aired over here.

Just for fun, I will throw it back at you with some Australian equivalents. See how many you know.... Again, these are all household names in Australia.

1. Okay, I am stumped to think of an Aussie equivalent to Sylvester McCoy.... Maybe Barry Humphries in terms of quirkiness and fame-level. :P

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

7. Ruth Cracknell (dead but a good equivalent to Routledge.)

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

Humphries of course and Cracknell yes ( I used to watch Mother and Son on Channel 4) and I've heard of an Aussie politician called Kerry O'Brien but I can't place the others.

Edited to add I have heard of XTC but only because Dave Mattacks drummed with them so they are vaguely on my radar, couldn't name any of their work though.

• Like 1

As for people who don't know who Andy Partridge is then compulsary listening to Senses Working Overtime should follow until they agree it is the best song ever.

OK, but I don't know the names of every member of every band who recorded a few decent songs.

TBH the first thing that sprang to mind was a radio presenter, but I was probably thinking of Alan Partridge. :lol:

To be fair this inclusion probably says more about me than anything else. XTC are hardly massive even in the UK and SWO was their only top 10 hit, and that only reached number 10, but I was trying to think of a musician who was very British who was part of a band along the lines of Wilko Johnson. I suppose I could have picked one of the members of Bananarama but I could be bothered to look them up.

Took (some of) the words out of my mouth, Biblio, I was going to mention Bananarama. Siobhan Fahey was a member wasn't she?

• Like 1

Suggestion to Deathlist: stop including unknown people. Examples from this year's list include: Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead and Joost van der Westhuizen. I live in Canada and am reasonably well informed. These people are totally unknown to me.

I did have to look up JvdW but I presumed my total lack of interest in Rugby made that understandable.

Even if you didn't know Wilko Johnson's name you would have heard of Dr Hook therefore I think his inclusion was more than justified combined with his high profile battle with cancer.

Chris Woodhead is an odd one there have even been some UK comments on is he famous enough to be on here but we would happily inlcude Union Leaders and Churchmen so appointed high powered public officials should be fair game. To extend the Wilko analogy you may not know his name but you understand what Ofsted is right?

Ten thoroughly British types how many of them would you consider worthy of going on the list (ie you have heard of them)

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Note even if you are not Steve of Canada you can comment on this list of Britishness.

Thanks. I will take up the challenge. :)

My take on it all:

1. Yes, internationally famous.

2. No, I had to Google him but someone a bit older than me would probably be familiar with the name.

3. I Googled him and I still not sure which Bill Morris you mean... :P Is it the cricketer? https://en.wikipedia...sambiguation%29

4. No, his television shows aren't internationally known.

5. The only Partridge musicians I know of are the Partridge family. ;) That's probably more a reflection on me though since I don't follow pop music that much. I have vaguely heard of XTC and I might even know a song or two if you played them for me.

6. Yes, internationally famous.

7. Yes, internationally famous.

8. No, I had never heard of her until I Googled her just now. Not known internationally.

9. Yes, internationally famous (mainly because of his daughter.)

10. No, I avoid soapies like the plague at the best of times and I don't think Coronation Street is even aired over here.

Just for fun, I will throw it back at you with some Australian equivalents. See how many you know.... Again, these are all household names in Australia.

1. Okay, I am stumped to think of an Aussie equivalent to Sylvester McCoy.... Maybe Barry Humphries in terms of quirkiness and fame-level. :P

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

7. Ruth Cracknell (dead but a good equivalent to Routledge.)

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

Humphries of course and Cracknell yes ( I used to watch Mother and Son on Channel 4) and I've heard of an Aussie politician called Kerry O'Brien but I can't place the others.

There was an obscure politician named Kerry O'Brien but I was actually thinking of the journalist who hosted a current affairs show called "The 7:30 Report" for many, many years as I matched him against John Craven. (This journalist O'Brien started his career as one of Gough's political advisors though.)

Obscure Politician:

https://en.wikipedia...28politician%29

Famous Journalist:

https://en.wikipedia...28journalist%29

EDIT: I just looked at Craven's page again and saw he mainly hosted children's television so perhaps I should have nominated Noni Hazelhurst as the Aussie equivalent instead, rendering the whole point moot. :P

• Like 1

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Re Woodhead, he probably has the same level of fame as Baroness Butler-Sloss (ie, the former boss of the child abuse scandal investigation who had to resign because her brother was one of the alleged suspects).

As for that list, the main issue is almost none of them will die next year, except maybe Lawson, who is seriously ill. But then again, he has been for a year or two now, he's taken the Clive James route!

Is Kevin Kennedy unwell, bar lifestyle?

These were not meant to be Daethlist suggestions but examples of British types to guage how much crossover culture there is between UK and Commonwealth countries. As soon as I had put Sylvester McCoy on the list I realised I had made a mistake because of his role in the Hobbit movies. I should have gone for Colin Baker instead or one of the cast of Blake's 7.

I just had a listen to SWO and, ummmm, yeah.... Best song ever? Coming from a bloke who I know to be familiar with Supper's Ready? :o

I am not sure who I would have said if you had mentioned Colin Baker... Probably a non-gay Frank Thring!

How about Dick Miller?

Guest Steve

Steve from Canada here. I guess I disagree with the philosophy of Deathlist that says it's OK to pick internationally obscure British people and put them on the list. As long as highly educated and informed British people know who they are, that's apparently good enough. Of the 10 examples listed by Bibliogryphon, I know none of those people. I disagree that it's my fault that I know nothing about rugby, so it's my fault I don't know who Joost whatever-his-name is. Rugby frankly does not quality as "internationally well-known".

Acceptable British people included on this year's list are Prince Phillip, Ian Paisley and Christopher Lee. There are plenty of well-know international figures that are very likely to be known to informed people around the world. Take Robert Mugabe, for example. Or the King of Thailand. But I draw the line at rugby players.

For crying out loud, stop including so many British people on the list !!

Ah well if Steve from Canada draws the line at rugby players then that's that.

May I suggest a modest rule-change that lies in-between the extremes of Steve from Canada's position and that of the current DeathList rules? Currently, the person must receive an obit from a mainstream UK media source tto qualify. May I suggest that, in addition to this UK obit, they receive at least one obit from a mainstream media source from any other country?

That would mean they have to have some degree of international fame. To take Bibliogryphon's examples, Sylvester McCoy would easily receive international obits (despite what Steve may think!) whereas I doubt John Craven would. (If Craven's shows are screened elsewhere in the Commonwealth or another country, I may be wrong and he would rightly qualify.)

This would knock people like that school inspector out of contention. However, I doubt it would change the spirit of the DL too much. In fact, I'd say 90% of this year's picks would be unaffected.

It would not affect current international picks, because they would all receive an obit in their country of origin as well as the UK. For instance, Gough received obits in the Australian media as well as in the UK media. Likewise, Jaruzelski would presumably received obits in the Polish media as well as the British media even if nowhere else.

By ensuring indigenous British celebs have to reciprocally receive one obit from some other country's media raises the bar just a little in terms of the fame-level required.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

1. The Deathlist is a private thing between a bunch of friends who share it with us, and being based in Britain, is likely to be a product of British culture.

2. Joost van der Weisthuzen is actually South African, discussed by a British based website, picked by international DDPers, and who was a major part of a sporting event turned into an Oscar nominated film by Clint Eastwood in the US. If thats not relatively internationally well known...

3. I don't like ideas which limit the range of the Deathlist.

4. John Craven is awesome. I believe, anecdotally, Newsround was seen in the US. It certainly is now (but hes retired from it, presents Countryfile which is...surprisingly popular elsewhere). But people like him and the late Tony Hart and the even later Jeffrey Bernard are the soul of the list. Lose them because some people hadn't heard of them and we lose a bit of us all.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

1. The Deathlist is a private thing between a bunch of friends who share it with us, and being based in Britain, is likely to be a product of British culture.

2. Joost van der Weisthuzen is actually South African, discussed by a British based website, picked by international DDPers, and who was a major part of a sporting event turned into an Oscar nominated film by Clint Eastwood in the US. If thats not relatively internationally well known...

3. I don't like ideas which limit the range of the Deathlist.

4. John Craven is awesome. I believe, anecdotally, Newsround was seen in the US. It certainly is now (but hes retired from it, presents Countryfile which is...surprisingly popular elsewhere). But people like him and the late Tony Hart and the even later Jeffrey Bernard are the soul of the list. Lose them because some people hadn't heard of them and we lose a bit of us all.

John Craven is the heart and soul of Deathlist (or something)?

Makes me laugh to think I was called "arse-chafingly dull" by someone on the forum earlier this year....

• Like 1

Steve from Canada here. I guess I disagree with the philosophy of Deathlist that says it's OK to pick internationally obscure British people and put them on the list. As long as highly educated and informed British people know who they are, that's apparently good enough. Of the 10 examples listed by Bibliogryphon, I know none of those people.

So only highly educated and informed people know who Sylvester McCoy is? :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Like 1

May I suggest a modest rule-change that lies in-between the extremes of Steve from Canada's position and that of the current DeathList rules? Currently, the person must receive an obit from a mainstream UK media source tto qualify. May I suggest that, in addition to this UK obit, they receive at least one obit from a mainstream media source from any other country?

That would mean they have to have some degree of international fame. To take Bibliogryphon's examples, Sylvester McCoy would easily receive international obits (despite what Steve may think!) whereas I doubt John Craven would. (If Craven's shows are screened elsewhere in the Commonwealth or another country, I may be wrong and he would rightly qualify.)

This would knock people like that school inspector out of contention. However, I doubt it would change the spirit of the DL too much. In fact, I'd say 90% of this year's picks would be unaffected.

It would not affect current international picks, because they would all receive an obit in their country of origin as well as the UK. For instance, Gough received obits in the Australian media as well as in the UK media. Likewise, Jaruzelski would presumably received obits in the Polish media as well as the British media even if nowhere else.

By ensuring indigenous British celebs have to reciprocally receive one obit from some other country's media raises the bar just a little in terms of the fame-level required.

Thoughts?

I wasn't aware that there are any rules attached to the Deathlist. The committee decides on the list, and no obituaries are required to validate selections when they die.

Are you confusing it with the Derby Dead Pool?

• Like 1

Took (some of) the words out of my mouth, Biblio, I was going to mention Bananarama. Siobhan Fahey was a member wasn't she?

Yes but I wouldn't have picked her because of Shakespeare's Sister and the fact she was married to Dave Stewart. I was more thinking of the one who married Andrew Ridgely.

Steve from Canada here. I guess I disagree with the philosophy of Deathlist that says it's OK to pick internationally obscure British people and put them on the list. As long as highly educated and informed British people know who they are, that's apparently good enough. Of the 10 examples listed by Bibliogryphon, I know none of those people. I disagree that it's my fault that I know nothing about rugby, so it's my fault I don't know who Joost whatever-his-name is. Rugby frankly does not quality as "internationally well-known".

Acceptable British people included on this year's list are Prince Phillip, Ian Paisley and Christopher Lee. There are plenty of well-know international figures that are very likely to be known to informed people around the world. Take Robert Mugabe, for example. Or the King of Thailand. But I draw the line at rugby players.

We have had a number of posters who have previously brought a Canadian slant to this site and it is welcome but the final decision lies with the committee as to who goes on the main list each year.

Only 17 of the 50 picks this year are British which to me is a reasonable number.

There is also an element of nostalgia in this which was hinted at above people like John Craven, Tony Hart, Brian Cant etc which may not mean much to those overseas but it keeps us coming back to discuss memories.

I am still not sure about the inclusion of James Randi though.

Please consider registering and then your opinions may carry more weight but I don't think we should limit the scope of the list but you can gripe about it if you disagree in the New Year.

Thoughts?

I wasn't aware that there are any rules attached to the Deathlist. The committee decides on the list, and no obituaries are required to validate selections when they die.

Well, blow me down! I had always thought they operated by the same rules!

We have had a number of posters who have previously brought a Canadian slant to this site and it is welcome but the final decision lies with the committee as to who goes on the main list each year.

Only 17 of the 50 picks this year are British which to me is a reasonable number.

There is also an element of nostalgia in this which was hinted at above people like John Craven, Tony Hart, Brian Cant etc which may not mean much to those overseas but it keeps us coming back to discuss memories.

I am still not sure about the inclusion of James Randi though.

Please consider registering and then your opinions may carry more weight but I don't think we should limit the scope of the list but you can gripe about it if you disagree in the New Year.

Yes, I can understand the nostalgia aspect, like when we mention some largely forgotten old Australian television icon likeJeanne Little or Brian Bury, whom no one has thought of for years.

Thoughts?

Well, blow me down! I had always thought they operated by the same rules!

Why so? The Death List isn't a competition like the DDP.

Guest Guest

It's been a good year for deathlist. 21 hits. that could be an all time record!

Don't be thick...

• Like 1

Guest Meu

a good pick for next year :

Nuon Chea (1926) : number 2 (after Pol Pot) of the khmer rouge government and former prime minister of Cambodia. Very tired cause he is actually on a trial for crime against humanity.

I would like to suggest three names:

1. Ramón José Velásquez (President of Venezuela 1993-1994) age 96

2. Octavio Lepage (President of Venezuela 1993) age 89

3. Jaime Lusinchi (President of Venezuela 1984-1989) age 88

As we see Hugo Chavez condition, I guess god doesn't like Venezuela presidents.

Other Venezuela ex-presidents:

Carlos Andres Perez died 2010 age 88

Rafael Caldera died 2009 age 93

Luis Herrera Campins died 2007 age 82

Wolfgang Larrazábal died 2003 age 91

Ramón José Velásquez and Jaime Lusinchi are both dead in 2014.

So I suggest to add Octavio Lepage for 2015.

Guest Imissmontpellier

Hello guys! How are you? I am still chatting at 1:30 what a mess...

Anyway...

This is my 2015 death list.

There are MANY names. Hope you know all of them. Some are expected (i.d pope Benedict XVI), others are unexpected, ones of them would be shocking deaths. Most are random choices. (I.d Stephen King)

Because of my French citizenship, there are many French people in my list.

I tried to add people who are likely to have a Uk obit.

George Bush Sr

Nancy Reagan

Pope Benedict

Jacques Chirac, former French President

Alain Juppé, former Prime Minister, UMP favorite, under 70 years old and still active in politics

Jean-Marie Le Pen, former head of Front National, Marine ´ s father

Juliette Greco, old singer and actress

Pal Sarkozy, Nicolas Sarkozy ´ s father

Edouard Balladur, French politician, candidate of 1995 French presidential elections

Stephen King

Stephen Hawking

Roger Moore

Sean Connery (yes, two James Bond!)

Jules Bianchi (this would be so sad!)

Sean Penn

Paul Mc. Cartney

Gérard Depardieu (very ankward behaviour)

Kim Kardashian (this is not a joke)

An. Actress between 40 and 50 (I dont get the name sorry)

Another actress born in the 1940's ( same thing)

One of Coen Brother

Iggy Azalea

Mario Testino

Marion Cotillard (exhaustion?)

Johnny Halliday

Monica Lewinski

Lech Walesa

Katy Perry...

And so one.

Guess the shocking deaths and the expected ones now.

For that enlightened post here`s your Christmas present early-Enjoy!

• Like 2

For that enlightened post here`s your Christmas present early-Enjoy!

PAHAHAH. 11/10.

Based on the fact that it was funny, I'm guessing that isn't actually from South Park (well not recent episode anyway)

BTW, it's the dear Mr. "If we count the previous years picks who died this year, we're doing great" twat come to push his arsetarded "theory" on us again, for anyone who was confused about the content of the twatguestpost. Twat.

• Like 1