Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

5 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

This isn't necessarily political but as a nation the UK needs to get over shops closing early on a Sunday, I've just wasted half an hour walking in the cold and dark to get some cheese because the day of the week wasn't at the forefront of my mind. Less than half the country claim to be Christian, a lot less are practising Christians and I'd bet less that 1% still see Sunday as simply 'the lord's day'. The idea is simply outdated.

It's the same way in America. They're supposed to pay time and a half if you work on Sunday, so I suspect that's why some stores remain closed. Also, each state has weird alcohol laws. I could not buy wine on Sunday in Pennsylvania, but I could buy beer, so I wound up buying lambic to have with brunch.

8 hours ago, lilham said:

It's the same way in America. They're supposed to pay time and a half if you work on Sunday, so I suspect that's why some stores remain closed. Also, each state has weird alcohol laws. I could not buy wine on Sunday in Pennsylvania, but I could buy beer, so I wound up buying lambic to have with brunch.

In the UK they do? Or America?

As someone who lives in America and works on Sundays. I've never heard of that.

22 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

In the UK they do? Or America?

As someone who lives in America and works on Sundays. I've never heard of that.

Looks like it's a Massachusetts thing for retail; I thought it was nation-wide.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lilham said:

There are still a handful of ‘dry counties’ in Texas and I believe a few other hillbilly southern states. 
Most (?) states sell alcohol on Sunday but not before noon.  When I was in New Mexico they did not sell alcohol on Sundays, that was 1987/88 so law may have changed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TQR said:

There are countless reasons to say this but what an odious little cunt Sunak is.

He just keeps coming up with these totally unforced errors that chip away at what little regard the public and his colleagues hold him in.

Wondering why it's suddenly all over the papers today that the Tories are facing a stonking defeat in the upcoming election?

• Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, TQR said:

Wondering why it's suddenly all over the papers today that the Tories are facing a stonking defeat in the upcoming election?

Because a new seat by seat You Gov poll has been released. https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48371-yougov-mrp-shows-labour-would-win-1997-style-landslide-if-election-were-held-today

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Nnnno. These happen often and the Tory press do their level best to ignore them.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Nnnno. These happen often and the Tory press do their level best to ignore them.

Because of You Gov’s success with this type of poll in 2017 and 2019 they treated as more reliable than any other poll.

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Because of You Gov’s success with this type of poll in 2017 and 2019 they treated as more reliable than any other poll.

Please don't reply to my posts in future, Crem. It's like talking to a whoopee cushion.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Whole load of variables granted  but some great potential Portillo moments here

• Like 3

Just now, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Oh no, poor Grant Shapps-Green-Fox-Stockheath! 

• Facepalm 1

Hunt losing his would be priceless. The Arnold Rimmer of politics, I call him. Rees-Mogg is also a potential Portillo moment although he hasn't been politically relevant in any sense since Johnson left office. 

Awwww. 

IMG_8673.thumb.jpeg.ed3850f0c62f9d2ca9dd77c3e83761c2.jpeg

• Facepalm 1

I approve of this rare occasion where Crem gives us good political news!

• Like 2

A big name has followed 30p Leenoch and Brendan Silly-Sausage: Jane Stevenson*. DUN DUN DERRRRRRR

*Business PPS

• Facepalm 1

I don’t really understand the Rwanda policy. 

If we flew all the immigrants who came here on small boats to Rwanda we would be bankrupt. Even if we used  EasyJet. 

The numbers that can be accommodated in the Rwanda scheme are hardly going to put off the majority who probably still fancy their chances. 

On 15/01/2024 at 18:30, DCI Frank Burnside said:

My constituency is still Tory. 

Heartning to see the SNP on the decline. 

29 minutes ago, Windsor said:

My constituency is still Tory. 

Heartning to see the SNP on the decline. 

The SNP have many of the same issues as the Tories. They've been in power too long (17 years), they have their share of scandal, they've run out of policy ideas and parliamentary talent, and they have a leader who isn't very strategic or popular with the public. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Windsor said:

I don’t really understand the Rwanda policy. 

If we flew all the immigrants who came here on small boats to Rwanda we would be bankrupt. Even if we used  EasyJet. 

The numbers that can be accommodated in the Rwanda scheme are hardly going to put off the majority who probably still fancy their chances. 

Now THIS I have to see!