Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

7 minutes ago, TQR said:

Some terrific tweets in that article.

"imagine being so much of a horrible bastard that a party made up entirely of the country's most horrible bastards turned out to be not quite horrible enough for this particular horrible bastard."  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Rebellion off. Bill will pass the commons comfortably but of course the Lords is where the drama is…

3 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Letters of no confidence in Rishi went in yesterday 

Almost all of the rebels would need to submit a letter to get to the threshold of 53

It could precipitate a General Election

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Letters of no confidence in Rishi went in yesterday 

Aye, been wonderin' myself if they'll accidentally hit the tipping point. I'm thinking the whips will be so keen to monitor the numbers here. Whatever the divisions in the party they'll want to avoid accidentally stumbling into a no confidence vote because if they depose Sunak the newbie wouldn't be able to speak in the Commons without being howled down by demands for an immediate election.

• Like 2

As much as he seems to be holding on for as long as he can. I think if they think there's a danger of the threshold being reached he'll go to the Palace

(Unlikely but wonder what would happen if it was while Charles was in Hospital. Although I don't think a long stay is anticipated) 

36 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

It's the self-confidence of Coffey that really makes it. Fuckin idiot

I can't believe she wasn't shouted down immediately.  How many of them thought she was right FFS?

Ohhh, the Toto comment is classic though :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

As much as he seems to be holding on for as long as he can. I think if they think there's a danger of the threshold being reached he'll go to the Palace

(Unlikely but wonder what would happen if it was while Charles was in Hospital. Although I don't think a long stay is anticipated) 

The King isn't going to be incapacitated by this. 

But this is why there are Counsellors of State. There is always someone to deal with matters if the monarch is absent or unable.

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Oh my god :lol:

I am sure I could find mentions of Tories refering to a captain city instead of a country name. 

12 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Oh my god :lol:

Yes, it's not like anyone ever refers to Whitehall/Westminster, Holyrood, Washington, etc. etc.

• Like 1

When you're in a hole, keep digging :lol:

Can somebody explain why Sunak is telling the House of Lords they can’t scrutinise his Bill because they aren’t elected? 

Surely if he has an issue with the Lords rejecting Bills he need to set out his proposals for an elected chamber…

Has an issue with the Lords because they're not elected yet elevated Cameron there so he could appoint him Foreign Sec....... .

24 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Has an issue with the Lords because they're not elected yet elevated Cameron there so he could appoint him Foreign Sec....... .

Not to mention that he will go down in history as one of the unelected PMs.

My point is you can’t keep a parliamentary chamber as an ornament. You either let it get on with what it’s supposed to do or you change it. 

They really need to do ranked-choice voting for primaries. A lot of people in NH have already voted as they received their ballots in the mail a month ago and they're due by this Tuesday.

Currently, the temperature in Boston is 15-25 degrees Fahrenheit, so I know NH has it worse. I'm only going outside when necessary.

Back in 2020, I think like 10 people dropped out between the time I got my ballot and Super Tuesday, so I waited to vote 6am the day of. This was when covid started rolling into America; state of emergency was called in our state a week later. I would have preferred to vote from home but I didn't want a wasted primary vote.

• Like 1