Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

12 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

That explains a lot..

I might be wrong but that is type of the discord that likely made Farage more popular. People don’t really like being told they bigoted over things that are sometimes not bigoted - like being unable to get a GP appointment but being told it’s racist to oppose mass immigration for example. 

• Facepalm 3

And there it is. The mask slips one final inch and drops to the floor. It figures that a housebound loner with nothing but a weird family and a Daily Mail push notification for company would be a Faragist.

• Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, TQR said:

And there it is. The mask slips one final inch and drops to the floor. It figures that a housebound loner with nothing but a weird family and a Daily Mail push notification for company would be a Faragist.

I didn’t say I was a Faragist. I just sick of how crap GP’s systems are now a days to be honest. Drives me crazy. 

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I didn’t say I was a Faragist. I just sick of how crap GP’s systems are now a days.

Do you associate the cause of that being the result of immigration or underfunding of the NHS?

• Like 2

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Do you associate the cause of that being the result of immigration or underfunding of the NHS?

It has many causes. 

• Facepalm 1

In Scotland I can get a GP appointment in 2 days.

Jealous much? 

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

In Scotland I can get a GP appointment in 2 days.

Jealous much? 

Your Barnett formula is too generous. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Your Barnett formally is too generous. 

Brilliant.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I didn’t say I was a Faragist. I just sick of how crap GP’s systems are now a days to be honest. Drives me crazy. 

Wanna guess how much longer it would take you if we didn't have any immigrants working in the NHS?

And imagine if the government considered paying doctors enough that they didn't fuck off to Australia where they can get more money for less stress.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Wanna guess how much longer it would take you if we didn't have any immigrants working in the NHS?

And imagine if the government considered paying doctors enough that they didn't fuck off to Australia where they can get more money for less stress.

I’m not sure that would solve all the issues. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I’m not sure that would solve all the issues. 

Having more doctors wouldn't cut waiting times? Ok then. Of course it wouldn't solve all the issues. It wouldn't fix the crumbling hospitals, the closing surgeries (although more doctors would probably help with this), the utterly shite computer systems they have to work with, the don't talk to each other and are on computers last described as cutting edge when John Major was in Downing Street.

The Tories have decimated the NHS, and then blamed everybody but themselves for the damage. Scapegoating immigrants as the reason we don't have enough schools or hospitals is nonsense. We had a baby boom after the Second World War. Did we complain we didn't have enough schools and hospitals? Funnily enough, no. We built more schools and hospitals and trained more teachers and doctors. People felt a calling to these vocations and enjoyed the work as it was achievable and meaningful. It is not down to immigrants that teachers and doctors are in crisis, how ever much the Daily Fail and the rest of the Tory press would like to tell us it is.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Having more doctors wouldn't cut waiting times? Ok then. Of course it wouldn't solve all the issues. It wouldn't fix the crumbling hospitals, the closing surgeries (although more doctors would probably help with this), the utterly shite computer systems they have to work with, the don't talk to each other and are on computers last described as cutting edge when John Major was in Downing Street.

The Tories have decimated the NHS, and then blamed everybody but themselves for the damage. Scapegoating immigrants as the reason we don't have enough schools or hospitals is nonsense. We had a baby boom after the Second World War. Did we complain we didn't have enough schools and hospitals? Funnily enough, no. We built more schools and hospitals and trained more teachers and doctors. People felt a calling to these vocations and enjoyed the work as it was achievable and meaningful. It is not down to immigrants that teachers and doctors are in crisis, how ever much the Daily Fail and the rest of the Tory press would like to tell us it is.

In those days a lot of people in vocations accepted pretty low wages were just part of the postion - that’s not the case now. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

In those days a lot of people in vocations accepted pretty low wages were just part of the postion 

What?????????

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

In those days a lot of people in vocations accepted pretty low wages were just part of the postion - that’s not the case now. 

They wouldn't have accepted those pretty low wages if the conditions were awful. The jobs were manageable, fulfilling and rewarding. But they still expected a decent wage, and had much more buying power than current teachers and doctors, and considerably less stress.

• Like 5

My mum was a nurse. She put up with a lot of shit literally.

Not only was she getting a pretty good wage for the 1970s, she also had interest rates in double figures which crapped all over her mortgage. Both my parents worked and we still were lucky to get second hand Christmas presents.

Let us be clear. People did work because it was rewarding in some ways, people today do work because it is rewarding financially. There’s a reason for that. Because certain businesses have upped their prices. Houses cost a fortune. If everything is too costly, folk don’t work for any other reason than cash.

And still it’s a struggle for most.

Poor baby waiting on your GP appointment. Again that suggests your government haven’t got their priorities right, not because of any fucking Barnett formula!

• Like 5

This thread really is like everyone queuing to give lectures in basic economic science to a really slow child who keeps mashing a 'random opinion generator' on their keyboard. Exhausting as ever... 

• Haha 4

If you polled people why do you think the NHS is struggling I wonder what the answers would be. I know what the people I know would say but I have a tiny circle. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

This thread really is like everyone queuing to give lectures in basic economic science to a really slow child who keeps mashing a 'random opinion generator' on their keyboard. Exhausting as ever... 

Basically the lad doesn’t know he’s born.

We have had over 30 years of fairly stable right wing Tory and Labour governments who sold off the country’s assets to keep the populace content.

There is nothing left. So budgeting in the real world stinks for these fuckers. Blaming others for your politicians being unable to do maths or economics or basic trade deals is too easy.

Guy needs to read or listen to those who have real experience of the the world as it has turned for over 60 years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Basically the lad doesn’t know he’s born.

We have had over 30 years of fairly stable right wing Tory and Labour governments who sold off the country’s assets to keep the populace content.

There is nothing left. So budgeting in the real world stinks for these fuckers. Blaming others for your politicians being unable to do maths or economics or basic trade deals is too easy.

Guy needs to read or listen to those who have real experience of the the world as it has turned for over 60 years.

Or at least realise that Twitter (and the filth peddled on it) is not the nexus around which the whole world turns, log off from that crap and sit down with a good book every once in a while. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If you polled people why do you think the NHS is struggling I wonder what the answers would be. I know what the people I know would say but I have a tiny circle. 

"Why people think the NHS is struggling" is not the same as "Why the NHS is struggling". Two of my best mates are consultant doctors, one in Acute Medicine, the other in A&E and at our meet-up over Christmas, the A&E doctor (who is technically still a junior at the moment and has been on the picket lines) said he fully understands the appeal of Australia and has seen plenty of doctors make the jump on social media and it looks amazing. They both shared a few details of the shambles that is hospital care in 2023-24, how winter pressures are now all-year-round pressures and it felt very much like they were shielding the worst of things from the non-doctors in our party to avoid us having a meltdown at the state of our healthcare system.

The problem in the 21st century is this belief that whatever the voters think is automatically the right call and that said voters are 100% convinced that whatever they think is correct. And, on the flip side, engagement in politics has dropped dramatically, political literacy and critical thinking are virtually non-existent and misinformation is everywhere. It's led the rise of the far-right, the Brexit disaster, the Covid Conspiracy nonsense and 101 things besides. People are looking for simple explanations because they're not intelligent enough, or committed enough, to look into the details of how the world works and the complex reasons and histories of why situations develop. The NHS is struggling because too many immigrants are coming in is simplistic nonsense. The NHS is struggling for a huge number of reasons, from lack of doctors numbers to underfunding, to a chronic lack of social care provision. Blaming immigrants ignores the fact that many immigrants come to work in the NHS is a range of capacities, from clinical care to porters and cleaners. It ignores that the vast majority of immigrants who come to this country are young, fit and healthy which means they use the NHS a lot less than, say, our rapidly aging population who are living longer and, in many cases, more sickly. Perhaps that has something to do with pressures on the NHS too? Wow, what a thought...

• Like 7

IMG_9055.thumb.jpeg.f56e2151ff258468442ab1a1ee37ada6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1