maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Edward Bond, controversial playwright but one of the best imo, being reported dead.

That's two former picks of mine dead in 2 days (if true of course).

Nevertheleless, a current DDP pick.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Edward Bond, controversial playwright but one of the best imo, being reported dead.

Breaking News in France as well 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Breaking News in France as well 

If it is good enough for Le Monde, it is good enough to strike him off my personal survivors list. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Eh, Paddington was pretty rad but I can't say I know much about his other stuff and that.

• Haha 2

Madeleine Chapsal, french journalist and author talked about in french topics dead at 98. Breaking News from le Monde 

• Like 3

Adventure and war novelist Brian Callison died 5 February 2024 according to this Scotsman Obit: https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/scotsman-obituaries-brian-callison-author-of-acclaimed-adventure-novels-4552795

Some of his works were highly praised by Alastair MacLean and Dick Francis. And hey, at time of writing, his Wiki remains showing him as alive.

• Like 1

No-one seems to be dying so I have decided to create a list

Ten Earliest Winners of the Edger Allen Poe Award for Best Mystery Novel as awarded by the Mystery Writers of America

1972 Frederick Forsyth (b.1938)

1979 Ken Follett (b. 1949)

1982 William Bayer (b. 1939)

1988 Aaron Elkins (b. 1935)

1990 James Lee Burke (b.1936)

1991 Julie Smith (b.1944)

1992 Lawrence Block (b.1938)

1994 Minette Walters (b.1949)

1997 Thomas H. Cook (b.1947)

1999 Robert Clark (b.1952)

All the winners since 2000 are still with us with the exception of Mo Hayder (2012) which is the pen name of former model Candy Davis who played Miss Belfridge in Are You Being Served? and was briefly married to actor Gary Olsen

• Like 3

James Ward, one of Gary Gygax's most senior co-players and fundamental early shaper of the Dungeons and Dragons world, dead at 72:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/56515/rip-james-m-jim-ward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_M._Ward

Co-wrote the Pool of Radiance series, and also, the 2nd Dragonball Z related death within a few days.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

James Ward, one of Gary Gygax's most senior co-players and fundamental early shaper of the Dungeons and Dragons world, dead at 72:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/56515/rip-james-m-jim-ward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_M._Ward

Co-wrote the Pool of Radiance series, and also, the 2nd Dragonball Z related death within a few days.

72 is like centenarian age in the Dungeons and Dragons world. Interesting to see he had a wife too. Most of them just take comfort in fast food and cosplaying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

72 is like centenarian age in the Dungeons and Dragons world. Interesting to see he had a wife too. Most of them just take comfort in fast food and cosplaying.

He had three sons.

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

4 hours ago, drol said:

He had three sons.

mic-drop-obama.gif

• Confused 1

Still nothing official, but Vernor Vinge is being reported dead online.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

A unique DDP pick for my Theme Team

2 hours ago, drol said:

This is the source Wikipedia is using which is a fandom site which puts us into a similar situation with Thomas P. Stafford where the news was broke by a space fan site

I am inclined to believe this is true as he was reportedly suffering from Parkinson's 

There are three older Hugo winners left (Larry Niven, Joe Haldeman & C J Cherryh) and Connie Willis now makes it onto the top ten earliest winners surviving (Vernor Vinge was at No.10)

DDP pick John Barth reported dead aged 93.

• Like 4

Ziraldo was born in Caratinga 91 years ago and died in Rio de Janeiro, a great Brazilian author and cartoonist, created ́ ́O Menino Maluquinho ́ ́, gaining a lot of status and being very recognized. His name is a combination of her mother's name (Zizinha) and her father's name (Geraldo)

Morre Ziraldo, criador de 'O Menino Maluquinho', aos 91 anos | Rio de Janeiro | G1 (globo.com)

Ziraldo — Foto: Divulgação

On 26/12/2023 at 09:30, Bentrovato said:

Hanif Kureishi is guest editor on the Boxing Day edition of BBC Radio 4's Today programme a year after he was paralysed. Turning into a despot. Hanif Kureishi: I've become a reluctant dictator - BBC News

Hanif Kureishi update: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13318135/hanif-kureishi-buddha-suburbia-fall-rome-update.html

Says every day is a lucky day for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Sophie Kinsella, author of The Shopaholic series, has revealed she’s been suffering from glioblastoma since 2022.

Small world.

I've seen her name at the bargain book kiosk at my local grocery store, and thought "wasn't she one of those past DDP cancer writers"! Probably me thinking of Sophie Sabbage or Sonia Kinsella (though the latter wasn't an author).

• Like 2