maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Glad to see you're no longer a Scottish nationalist.

I'm not.

I support Home Rule for Scotland - doesn't make me a nationalist.

I think Westminster isn't the best place for decisions to be made about Scotland - doesn't make me a nationalist.

Most politicians are arseholes, including for example my former local SNP MP.

I'm actually a Lib Dem at heart but probably more in the old Liberal party mould. The day they threw away their flagship policy to get into bed with Cameron and the Tories is when I lost faith in them.

I used to be proud to put British on my census returns - I don't now.

Plus - I was just following the Wiki description - given Sansom was vociferously anti-independence, I can see why he would describe himself as British. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm not.

I support Home Rule for Scotland - doesn't make me a nationalist.

I think Westminster isn't the best place for decisions to be made about Scotland - doesn't make me a nationalist.

Most politicians are arseholes, including for example my former local SNP MP.

I'm actually a Lib Dem at heart but probably more in the old Liberal party mould. The day they threw away their flagship policy to get into bed with Cameron and the Tories is when I lost faith in them.

I used to be proud to put British on my census returns - I don't now.

Plus - I was just following the Wiki description - given Sansom was vociferously anti-independence, I can see why he would describe himself as British. 

It was a joke. I was more so referring to the "is he Scottish/is he British" type thing that Scots accuse English people of playing on depending on if Andy Murray is winning or losing a tournament.

Anyway, full Telegraph obit for Sansom. Definitely a pre-written one. The last paragraph tells us why. He had multiple myeloma since 2012. Was this public knowledge and did he ever discuss it on here?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It was a joke. I was more so referring to the "is he Scottish/is he British" type thing that Scots accuse English people of playing on depending on if Andy Murray is winning or losing a tournament.

Anyway, full Telegraph obit for Sansom. Definitely a pre-written one. The last paragraph tells us why. He had multiple myeloma since 2012. Was this public knowledge and did he ever discuss it on here?

I didn't find a thing on here about Sansom - Kenny, loads, CJ nothing!

I wonder about the English/Scottish thing. There's probably a shitload of Wiki pages which describe people as English, not British. I definitely see that where sportspeople, particularly golfers, describe them that way which I understand because of the representation of country. What I don't understand is writers, musicians etc etc described as English. The English can be just as rabid about their nationalism - look at the recent St Georges Day nonsense, the Emily Thornberry flag nonsense from a few years ago. And let's not forget all the garbage spouted about immigration.

Ah, well, an interesting side note.

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I didn't find a thing on here about Sansom - Kenny, loads, CJ nothing!

I wonder about the English/Scottish thing. There's probably a shitload of Wiki pages which describe people as English, not British. I definitely see that where sportspeople, particularly golfers, describe them that way which I understand because of the representation of country. What I don't understand is writers, musicians etc etc described as English. The English can be just as rabid about their nationalism - look at the recent St Georges Day nonsense, the Emily Thornberry flag nonsense from a few years ago. And let's not forget all the garbage spouted about immigration.

Interestingly, there's never really been a strict rule on Wiki about this but there's an unwritten consensus – if they're a footballer/cricketer/rugby player etc (ie any sport where there are teams for all respective countries of the UK) that you describe them as Scottish/English/Welsh. Similarly for politicians who are not serving in UK wide roles (e.g. MSPs, Ams, councillors). Similarly for anyone in the arts (actor, artist, writer etc) who describes themselves as Scottish above British (it's done as a matter of respect and same rule would apply to Manx, Catalonian, Kashmiri persons etc.) but generally speaking we use "British" for anyone else, especially if they have lived in more than one country of the UK. In the case of Sansom he was from Edinburgh, lived in Sussex, and didn't overwhelmingly identify himself as being "just" Scottish so therefore we say he's British. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, it was public knowledge and I have picked him in the DDP in the past, although annoyingly not this year.  Reason being persistent rumours of a new book coming out.

I do have him in the AltObits pool though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, it was public knowledge and I have picked him in the DDP in the past, although annoyingly not this year.  Reason being persistent rumours of a new book coming out.

I do have him in the AltObits pool though.

As recently as last year, so List of the Missed: https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2023/celebs_S.html#sansoc

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interestingly, there's never really been a strict rule on Wiki about this but there's an unwritten consensus – if they're a footballer/cricketer/rugby player etc (ie any sport where there are teams for all respective countries of the UK) that you describe them as Scottish/English/Welsh. Similarly for politicians who are not serving in UK wide roles (e.g. MSPs, Ams, councillors). Similarly for anyone in the arts (actor, artist, writer etc) who describes themselves as Scottish above British (it's done as a matter of respect and same rule would apply to Manx, Catalonian, Kashmiri persons etc.) but generally speaking we use "British" for anyone else, especially if they have lived in more than one country of the UK. In the case of Sansom he was from Edinburgh, lived in Sussex, and didn't overwhelmingly identify himself as being "just" Scottish so therefore we say he's British. 

Very interesting. I give you Terry Pratchett - English. Afaik, born in England, died in England, author and journalist in England.

But not British. :unsure:

49 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

31 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

"British" for anyone else

It's variable depending on results.

When Andy Murray wins, he's British. When he loses, he's a Scot.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Very interesting. I give you Terry Pratchett - English. Afaik, born in England, died in England, author and journalist in England.

But not British. :unsure:

His page could go either way. I'd argue that it should say British, same with Kate Bush, Jacqueline Wilson, Jools Holland etc. – if they have a UK wide influence and don't have publicly known views about favouring an English identity then it should say British. Though I just really cba going through 1000s of pages, whilst having 100s of edit wars on the way with other users who think different.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

:clivedunn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

It's variable depending on results.

Works both ways. I've heard Nats refer to sporting heroes like Chris Hoy or Andy Murray as Scottish, then when it's Dennis Nilsen or Peter Tobin they're talking about, suddenly they're "British"! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Works both ways. I've heard Nats refer to sporting heroes like Chris Hoy or Andy Murray as Scottish, then when it's Dennis Nilsen or Peter Tobin they're talking about, suddenly they're "British"! :lol:

Well, according to what you outlined for Wiki, Nilsen lived in London and Tobin roamed the UK, so of course they are British. :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

:clivedunn:

I know, well, I've seen it before of course, it's almost a bloody trope, I just didn't look back up this thread if it's there. If it's not it's valid isn't it? Even as a repetition of said trope. 

Anyway, he's not the only one of course, applies to teams even.

IME it would seem that mostly it's the Scots and Welsh who 'start' this. And the English respond in kind a bit? Mystified me when I was younger. For some reason this doesn't seem to be the case with NI so much, (despite, or probably even because of 'the troubles').

It always seems to be reasonably good natured with the Scots that I've ever noticed, but I know of cases, apocryphal is a possibility, of it being genuinely felt and said by the Welsh.

For the record, I love everybody (and twice on a Sunday)

• Haha 1

Just accept that you are all the decrepit remnants of a collapsed colonial regime. Then we can concentrate on why these people are  not dying.

American author Adele Faber (Wikidead at 96

image.png.97a8da2e703f33a4608d9e86c3152cee.png

On 12/03/2023 at 13:57, drol said:

Paul Auster diagnosed with cancer.

Paul Auster dead at 77.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, tracy said:

Paul Auster dead at 77.

An other hit for my SDL !

5 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

British novelist Dame Shirley Conran (Wikidead at 91