maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

'Virgin Soldiers' Authour Leslie Thomas has died aged 83.

Can't believe no-one picked him for the DDP.

Can't believe I didn't pick him for the DDP.

Proabalby I thought he was already dead..... ho hum.

I think most people assumed he'd be around for a few more years. I enjoyed the Dangerous Davies series of books and the TV series with Peter Davidson.

If you like his writing, I suggest "Arrival & Departures". It starts slowly, but its worth staying with it to the end.

I was actually surprised at the number of acting roles he's done over the years. IMDB

His last acting role was in a comedy film called After Death

I think most people assumed he'd be around for a few more years. I enjoyed the Dangerous Davies series of books and the TV series with Peter Davidson.

If you like his writing, I suggest "Arrival & Departures". It starts slowly, but its worth staying with it to the end.

I was actually surprised at the number of acting roles he's done over the years. IMDB

That's Leslie Philips. (Though I suppose Leslie Thomas' next appearance could be in something of the same name). Here's Leslie Thomas's IMDB
  • Like 1

That's Leslie Philips. (Though I suppose Leslie Thomas' next appearance could be in something of the same name). Here's Leslie Thomas's IMDB

ok total brain fart moment then.

Guest Guest

Canadian author, Farley Mowat, gives me my 3rd hit.

congrats. your doing better than deathlist!

Guest Guest

Merlin novelist Mary Stewart dead at 97 (died on May 10th judging from an earlier edit to her Wiki page - shows how slow our media are)

http://www.cornflowe...ry-stewart.html

Presumably the funeral will involve a boat and a can of petrol...

Merlin novelist Mary Stewart dead at 97 (died on May 10th judging from an earlier edit to her Wiki page - shows how slow our media are)

I am not getting any news of this elsewhere and I am looking because she is on my DDP theme team. Wiki is showing her as alive.

I am not getting any news of this elsewhere and I am looking because she is on my DDP theme team. Wiki is showing her as alive.

Fuck knows.........

News of author Mary Stewart’s death spread quickly earlier this week causing concern among fans across the world. However the May 2014 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax and just the latest in a string of fake celebrity death reports. Thankfully, the author of the Merlin Trilogyis alive and well.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/mary-stewart/deathhoax.html

Wiki edit was somebody claiming to be great great great great grand neice or whatever, and was reverted because not classed as 'reliable'.

Fuck knows.........

News of author Mary Stewart’s death spread quickly earlier this week causing concern among fans across the world. However the May 2014 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax and just the latest in a string of fake celebrity death reports. Thankfully, the author of the Merlin Trilogyis alive and well.

http://en.mediamass..../deathhoax.html

Wiki edit was somebody claiming to be great great great great grand neice or whatever, and was reverted because not classed as 'reliable'.

I saw that site and dismissed it, The times obit looks legit but I will probably wait until it shows up somewhere I can read the whole article.

Don't take mediamass seriously for potential hoaxes, that site just automatically generates headlines for any name in their database. There's articles on basically every name they have practicing Gangnam Style.

The 1964 Disney film based on Mary Stewarts novel The Moon Spinners starred none other than 2014 Deathlist candidate Eli Wallch.

As mentioned above, the mediamass page just automatically generates typical headline articles from a database of famous names, and every day the date on the article will change. I've never really understood the point in these sites.

She is dead, The Times has published an obituary for her > http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/obituaries/article4089900.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_14

Mary Stewart's publisher Hodder & Stoughton put something on their Twitter account.

Guest Jac's Sisters
Climbing writer Jim Perrin. Review makes it clear that the twist in his latest book, West, is that after nursing his girlfriend through terminal illness, he also got a diagnosis of cancer and was 'given a short time to live.' Likely The Guardian - at least - would reward dead poolers with an obit if the disease did for Perrin in 2011.

You can't believe all you read between the covers of a book; more on Mr P's 'cancer' here

One potential pick for the future is Margaret Stuart Barry (b.1927) who wrote Simon and the Witch televised by the BBC with Elizabeth Spriggs as the witch.

Edmund White (b.1940) co-author of The Joy of Gay Sex is HIV positive and had two strokes in 2012 must be worth keeping an eye on.