msc

The Crowdsourced Deathlist

MICHELNOMORE!

4/50

160192.jpg

16th March 2016

British TV broadcasting legend Cliff Michelmore has died aged 96, to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. An RAF squadron leader during World War Two, Michelmore was a regular face on the BBC from the 1950s until the 1990s, and hosted election night coverage in 1966 and 1970. He was first on the scene at the Aberfan disaster, and the first man to interview David Bowie on TV (managing to do it before Bowie had even become famous). Michelmore was in 44th position, and was the fourth hit of the year.

0 hits in January.

0 hits in February.

4 hits in the first couple of weeks of March.

0 hits in January.

0 hits in February.

4 hits in the first couple of weeks of March.

As we say about every deadpool, except the Deathrace of course, its a marathon not a sprint.

• Like 1

FORD FIESTA!

5/50

rob_ford_summer.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.j

22nd March 2016

The larger than life former Mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, has died to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Ford was Toronto Mayor from 2010 until 2014, and made international news for his love of crack cocaine and alcoholic misdemeanours. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2014, but determined to stand in the 2018 elections. The Grim Reaper, a notorious swing voter, appeared to have other plans, and so Ford, a long time proponent of subways, is now going underground. Rob Ford was 46 and situated at 20th place in The Crowdsourced Deathlist.

March 3rd, 4th, 6th, 16th, 22nd. We're on a roll this month!

Kudos to the people who made sure Criuff made the ballot

6 hits in a month! Day-umm!

Here is the top 50 in one place for folk to keep tabs on:

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor 613
  2. Billy Graham 598
  3. Martin Crowe 591
  4. Clive James 436
  5. Prince Philip 415
  6. Olivia de Havilland 407
  7. Joao Havelange 388
  8. Jimmy Carter 385
  9. Kirk Douglas 378
  10. Bhumibol 373
  11. Nancy Reagan 372
  12. Muhammad Ali 367
  13. Helmut Kohl 355,
  14. Peter Sallis 324
  15. Howard Marks 321
  16. George Bush Sr 319,
  17. Tony Booth 314
  18. Fidel Castro 311
  19. Vera Lynn 303
  20. Rob Ford 301
  21. Herman Wouk 256
  22. Denis Norden 226
  23. Valerie Harper 217
  24. Leslie Philip 215
  25. Joost van der Westhuizen 209
  26. Stephen Hawking 195
  27. Sumner Redstone 193
  28. Ian Brady 190
  29. Glen Campbell 183
  30. Mary Tyler Moore 175
  31. Robert Mugabe 173
  32. Liliane Bettencourt 165
  33. Gorbachev 158
  34. Johan Cruyff 152
  35. Jenny Diski 140
  36. Joey Feek 136
  37. Desmond Tutu 135
  38. Sinead O’Connor 129
  39. Pope Benedict XVI 126
  40. Ian St John 125
  41. Liz Dawn 123
  42. Bruce Forsyth 120
  43. Jake Lamotta 118
  44. Cliff Michelmore 117
  45. Vera Caslavska 115
  46. John Noakes 113
  47. Prunella Scales 113
  48. Bob Dole 113
  49. Fernando Ricksen 111
  50. Nobby Stiles 109

Thanks for voting everyone - good luck!

Just posting this on the new page to make it easier for me to find.

CRUYFF TURN IN HIS GRAVE

6/50

Johan_Cruyff_3480212b.jpg

24th March 2016

Dutch football maestro Johan Cruyff has sadly died of cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another March success. Cruyff was the poster child and embodiment of Rinus Michel's Total Football philosophy, and won multiple European Cups with Ajax in the 1970s. He was the star player of the Netherlands side which narrowly lost to West Germany in the 1974 World Cup final, and reached the Euro 1976 Semifinals. As a manager, his influence was best seen at Barcelona, where he won the European Cup once more, as a manager, and helped transform them from the biggest underachievers in European football into the biggest team in the world. A former smoker, Cruyff had been suffering from lung cancer, and found a spot at 34th place on The Crowdsourced Deathlist, thanks to two late voters who had him in their top twenties.

NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

7/50

30803a.jpg

10th April 2016

Welsh ambassador, ex-drug smuggler and best selling author Howard Marks has died aged 70 after a long battle with cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Known as Mr Nice after the name on a fake passport, Marks was loosely affiliated with both M16 and the IRA in the 1970s, and made fifty grand per shipment at his peak. Arrested in 1988 by the DEA, he was sentenced to twenty-five years in jail, of which he served seven. Post prison, he realeased an acclaimed autobiography, ran for parliament, and became one of the older statesmen of the cuddly counter culture establishment. An acquiantance of crime bosses, world leaders and former members of the Deathlist forum alike, Marks is the 7th hit in a blistering start for the first ever Crowdsourced Deathlist,

JENNY ON THE BLOCK

8/50

p037nsbr.jpg

28th April 2016

Author Jenny Diski has died after a long battle with ill health to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. As a homeless runaway aged fifteen, Diski was taken in off the street by acclaimed writer (but not so acclaimed people person) Doris Lessing. This began a "complicated" relationship between somewhere between pseudo mother/daughter and protege/mentor. Diski's writing had a knack for seeing the seedier sides to idealised life and romance, and in Rainforest, she gives an uncanily accurate portrayal of mental breakdown. In recent years, Diski had been known for her London Review of Books columns. She was 69, and appeared at 35th place on the list.

• Like 1

Ali canvasses 9th hit here.

Float like a butterfly, stung like a bee,

Now we must say, RIP Muhammad Ali

9/50

1-12.jpg

3rd June 2016

One of the greatest sportsmen of all time, Muhammad Ali, has died after a long illness aged 74 to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another hit. A three time World Heavyweight Champion, Ali's fights and feuds with the likes of Smokin' Joe Frazier and George Foreman became synonymous, not just with boxing with but sport and pop culture. Some of his most famous fights included The Thrilla in Manilla and the Rumble in the Jungle. By parts a sportsman, others a poet, others yet a social activist (he was stripped of his title in the 60s for refusing to serve in Vietnam), Ali was a giant in his field, and the world is poorer for his passing. He was in 12th place on the list.

Since there'd be plenty of bitching on the main thread about such a miss, it falls to me (since I had no role in creating it this year) to chastise the Crowdsourced Deathlist on their failure to include Caroline Aherne on the list. According to the stats, she was among the 'just missed out' group. I'm not surprised she died, given her seemingly constant battle with one kind of cancer or another, but I'm shocked to discover she wasn't a hit on either the main, or crowdsourced, DL.

She finished 9 points off qualifying. Peter Maxwell-Davies also just missed out and has died.

Well, for me Caroline seemed like another Daisy Berkowitz.

No updates on health, one of those common picks for the past few years that just won't die.

Which is why I didn't have her on my shadow list, DDP team, and switched her out JUST TWO DAYS AGO from Shaun's pool.

I did the same thing in Shaun's pool,I switched out Bonnie Brown then a day later her family posts online she is in intensive care and for everyone to pray for her.

Full Time!

10/50

300px-Jo%C3%A3o_Havelange.jpg

16th August 2016

Joao Havelange has died aged 100 to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist it's tenth success of the year. Havelange was a Brazilian lawyer before becoming a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1963, a position he held for nearly 50 years. In 1974, he took advantage of post-colonial issues to oust Stanley Rous as President of FIFA. Havelange's reigns in charge of both are widely credited with moving international sport away from sports people and more towards multi-national companies and sponsors money. He stood down in 2011 from his honorary positions after it was revealed he had pocketed $40m from selling the World Cup hosting rights over the years. A true visionary, he will be missed by the Charlie Stillitanos and Sepp Blatters of the world.

Where's our Vera Caslavska update? He he. No presh...

• Like 1

I forgot she made the list. Will update later tonight, once wean's asleep.

• Like 1

Vera Wins Gold for Crowdsourced Deathlist

11/50

320px-Vera_Caslavska.JPG

30th August 2016

One of the most successful Olympians of all time, gymnast Vera Caslavska, has died at the age of 74 to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. She won eleven medals (including seven golds) over three Olympic Games from 1960 to 68, but was later blocked from competing and even working by the Communist Czechoslovakian government due to her being the public face of opposition to the Soviet invasion of her homeland. After the fall of the USSR, Caslavska worked with the government of Vaclav Havel. Caslavska died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer, and is the 11th hit this year.

• Like 2

Glad I strategically put her 2nd on my list ,guess that makes up for the blunder of leaving Cryuff off

Glad I strategically put her 2nd on my list ,guess that makes up for the blunder of leaving Cryuff off

Yes, that and another poster putting her high pretty much snuck her on the list. A wise choice.

Just a quick question, when are we allowed to start sharing picks for 2017 crowdsource deathlist?

Is there going to be a 2017 Crowdsourced Deathlist? That's a general question for the forum. I've no idea how the experiment has gone down with others.

If there is, probably towards the end of November like last year.

• Like 1