msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

2 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I got a second place on the AO Deadpool many moons ago and keep meaning to enter a team again. However I prefer the near absolute freedom offered by the DDP when it comes to picking candidates, rather than having them subjected to quality control when they are submitted. 

Incidentally, there used to be a team on the AODP called 'McKie'.  That'll be Andrew McKie, former obituaries editor at the Daily Telegraph and, I'm pretty certain, at least an occasional visitor to this site.  I once volunteered to write an obituary for the late philosopher Michael Dummett, a unique pick for McKie, which was quite a strange experience...

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/alt.obituaries/-TmdaUv58Ns/2PnbkDWlXEQJ

Maybe he's that person who wrote the telegraph obituary for Jessi Zazu...

• Like 3

My only rejected pick was Vervoort (I didn't get the email). 

I'm quite surprised that a gold medal Paralympic athlete doesn't meet their fame standard.  I mean, OK she has a terminal condition but why does that rule her out?  Would they have knocked back somebody like Oscar Pistorius (before he killed his girl friend!) He was a reasonably well-known Paralympic athlete. 

Hmm.  This DP s thread didn't pop up in feed til yesterday?   I guess others are clairvoyant about a DP that hadn't a thread til Jan 3 but turned in teams aforehand.

Well seeing as no one died yet if you want 40 names I got em. 

SC

Just now, Sir Creep said:

Hmm.  This DP s thread didn't pop up in feed til yesterday?   I guess others are clairvoyant about a DP that hadn't a thread til Jan 3 but turned in teams aforehand.

Well seeing as no one died yet if you want 40 names I got em. 

SC

It's an off forum one and the thead started because I noticed a lot of us were in the 2018 edition. Perhaps if the thread grows, we can all give it a shot in 2019, or something?

The links are on post 1, SC.  Check it out.  Too late for this year though.

They currently have more misses than hits. Not a good sign for the new year so far...

Hello all,

After lurking on the DeathList forums since around 2016, I'm coming out of the shadows, now that someone has kindly created an alt.obituaries thread.  It's long been the lone deadpool I've played.  Don't get your hopes up that I'm the vaunted, but mysterious, Gerard Tierney.  I'm not.  I'm his shadow, Allen Kirshner, destined to always finish just behind him in the standings.  It's good to meet everyone.

A brief word about myself.  I've had an interest in death notices for many years.  When I first came across the alt.obituaries dead pool in 2007, it seemed like a great place to channel that interest.  I began playing it in 2008 and have done so ever since.

I've regularly kept up with the information posted in the various forums.  I'm impressed by the effort everyone puts in.  While I may relegate myself to this forum, in terms of posting, I guess we'll have to see.

Everyone has been quite open in posting their lists.  I'm afraid I won't be so forthright.  Sorry folks.  However, as a goodwill gesture, I will list the 12 names I submitted for the 2018 AO Deadpool that were rejected and whom I had to replace:

1) Satoru Anzaki, 2) Ray Bitar, 3) Ami Brown, 4) Dean Francis, 5) Vanessa Goodwin, 6) Ian Lariba, 7) Abdelhak Nouri, 8) Carl Perkins (not the Blue Suede Shoes guy), 9) Joe Redner, 10) Will Rogers (not the man who liked everyone he met) 11) Dingko Singh and 12) Marieke Vervoort

Finally, a word to whomever had Dennis Stamp in the 2017 Deadpool  I know someone who posts to these forums did.  Don't hold your breath on a last-minute QO.  Two people had him and I'm the other one.  I did everything I could to have him count but no dice.  Sent in a number of obits, none was deemed good enough.

All for now. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the forums Allen Kishner. Good luck this year at the Alt Obits. :) 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, nice seeing a podium regular from the AO pop in here. Good luck to you with your efforts.

• Like 1

you-are-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gif

8 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Hello all,

After lurking on the DeathList forums since around 2016, I'm coming out of the shadows, now that someone has kindly created an alt.obituaries thread.  It's long been the lone deadpool I've played.  Don't get your hopes up that I'm the vaunted, but mysterious, Gerard Tierney.  I'm not.  I'm his shadow, Allen Kirshner, destined to always finish just behind him in the standings.  It's good to meet everyone.

A brief word about myself.  I've had an interest in death notices for many years.  When I first came across the alt.obituaries dead pool in 2007, it seemed like a great place to channel that interest.  I began playing it in 2008 and have done so ever since.

I've regularly kept up with the information posted in the various forums.  I'm impressed by the effort everyone puts in.  While I may relegate myself to this forum, in terms of posting, I guess we'll have to see.

Everyone has been quite open in posting their lists.  I'm afraid I won't be so forthright.  Sorry folks.  However, as a goodwill gesture, I will list the 12 names I submitted for the 2018 AO Deadpool that were rejected and whom I had to replace:

1) Satoru Anzaki, 2) Ray Bitar, 3) Ami Brown, 4) Dean Francis, 5) Vanessa Goodwin, 6) Ian Lariba, 7) Abdelhak Nouri, 8) Carl Perkins (not the Blue Suede Shoes guy), 9) Joe Redner, 10) Will Rogers (not the man who liked everyone he met) 11) Dingko Singh and 12) Marieke Vervoort

Finally, a word to whomever had Dennis Stamp in the 2017 Deadpool  I know someone who posts to these forums did.  Don't hold your breath on a last-minute QO.  Two people had him and I'm the other one.  I did everything I could to have him count but no dice.  Sent in a number of obits, none was deemed good enough.

All for now. 

I has Dennis Stamp. An IBTimes obit was not enough apparently and that made me a bit angry. Anyway welcome to this forum, mr. Kirshner.

8 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Thank you Joey Russ.  And to you, as well.

Welcome Allen, I'm Deceased Hose in the Alt Obits.

Hello deadsox / Deceased Hose.  Your reputation has preceded you in the pool for many years.

• Like 1

I got Spanky Manikan on my team. Let’s see if I can get a solo with him...

Sorry to disappoint you Joey Russ.   Perhaps a duet with Manikan, if nobody has him besides us?

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to see one of the regular game players tried Francis and Goodwin too, and not just us Scottish no-names! :D

Thanks for the welcome, msc.  Yes, Francis seemed like he could be accepted.  Goodwin not being a federal Aussie politician made her more of a long shot.  Can't blame a guy for trying, though. :rolleyes:

I still don't understand their problem with Marieke Vervoort.  They exclude (and I quote)

* People who are only noteworthy for their cause of (impending) death. Read: no cancer-bloggers, no local weathermen with brain tumors, no Paralympians with degenerative muscle diseases, etc

But MV is not "only noteworthy for (her) cause of (impending) death".  Or do they not consider gold medal winning Paralympians "noteworthy"? 

Surely they are no less worthy than their Olympian equivalents?  If she hadn't won anything, I'd understand why she's not accepted.  But she has.

I assumed from that rule they don't consider any Paralympians? So even Pistorius would get the heave-ho? I didn't argue the point.

I was a bit annoyed about Steffan Lewis getting the KO when it turns out Joey was bloody allowed him, though tbh.

That one still does confuse me to this day tbh. If it turns out I get a solo with him because of that mishap, you can blame the host for that, though I don’t expect him to be a solo tbh...

Seriously, Spanky Manikan got through? I just picked him in the Hare's. I was MUCH too cautious. Next time I'll be much more shameless.

Edit: My personal opinion: Steffan Lewis not getting through may be a blessing in disguise.

16 minutes ago, msc said:

I assumed from that rule they don't consider any Paralympians? So even Pistorius would get the heave-ho? I didn't argue the point.

Not sure, but they seem to have singled her out because her condition is terminal.   But that's not the reason for her fame.  She wouldn't be newsworthy if she hadn't achieved anything.

13 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Edit: My personal opinion: Steffan Lewis not getting through may be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe so, but to be fair, no one got even close to getting a clean sweep in this yet. The closest to one I believe is Gerard Tierny in 2016 with 24/40 hits. So even if Lewis turns into a blessing in disguise, I still got 39 other people (well, 38 cause Manikan is dead) that could help me get a top ten performance this year...

Of course that’s not to say that every other remaining pick will die, because they won’t all die (ONJ, Linda Nolan, Rose West particularly in mind). But I do have a lot of leeway, so who knows...

• Like 1