Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

At what point does someone deserve their own thread?

Personal rules:

1) Are they someone who will attract any interesting discussion? Cliff Richard probably isn't going to drop dead any time soon, but there's always lots of rumour and innuendo about him

2) Are they actually famous? Threads for the second bass player from The Bluetones probably aren't valuable

3) Are they in the public eye? Threads about hermits won't work, which is why I wouldn't start a, say, Bobbie Gentry thread. However, Jenny Ditski got a thread from me because she was very vocal on Twitter during her final months.

4) Are you post-whoring? Please don't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have only ever started 2 threads, for people I thought were Deathlist potentials: Robert Hardy and John Hume. Hardy died without getting on the list, but there's hope for Hume yet.

Anyone I ever think deserves a thread, it usually turns out Sean made the thread 4 years ago...

• Haha 1

The flipside to your point 1 - If they definitely are going to drop dead any moment now, is it really worth starting a thread about them? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anybody who can create reasonable discussion.

Two folk I'm astonished there is no thread for are William Roache and Ringo Starr.

You know, I'm all for threads for interesting people, but if there is a generic thread where they could go, then I'd say they need to be widely known in the UK to pull themselves out of such a thread, or at least a major public figure. So your Matt Capotellis and John Bains just don't cut it imo. It smacks of "they are on my list, so everyone should be talking about them" kind of thing....

Now my problem is that I'm a little bit older, so folk who are interesting or popular imo may not be for others. Similarly, younger folk may think of people I couldn't pick out of a line up where that person has a big arrow pointing at their head stating in bold "I'm such and such". So I'm open to learning about such folk provided they are a big name.

Another criteria might be "Could they make the Deathlist?" but then again, that is open to all the folk trying to get their personal faves on the list....

Oh, I should probably add that I have asked whether the mods think it a good idea for a thread to be created in advance.

That gives due consideration for our poor mods and admins who will have to wearily add a dead tag at some point. Going ahead without some consideration for the people involved in running the Forum smacks of bad form.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Two folk I'm astonished there is no thread for are William Roache and Ringo Starr.

You know, I'm all for threads for interesting people, but if there is a generic thread where they could go, then I'd say they need to be widely known in the UK to pull themselves out of such a thread, or at least a major public figure. So your Matt Capotellis and John Bains just don't cut it imo. It smacks of "they are on my list, so everyone should be talking about them" kind of thing....

Now my problem is that I'm a little bit older, so folk who are interesting or popular imo may not be for others. Similarly, younger folk may think of people I couldn't pick out of a line up where that person has a big arrow pointing at their head stating in bold "I'm such and such". So I'm open to learning about such folk provided they are a big name.

Another criteria might be "Could they make the Deathlist?" but then again, that is open to all the folk trying to get their personal faves on the list....

I'm pretty damn certain there's a thread for Bill Roache but then again he's covered under Betty Driver thread, similarly Ringo's covered under the beatles thread. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

I'm pretty damn certain there's a thread for Bill Roache but then again he's covered under Betty Driver thread, similarly Ringo's covered under the beatles thread. 

Bill Roache has a Poll question thread.

My point is can you possibly justify pulling folk out of a general thread? Starr shouldn't be lumped in with every musician who played on a track, and Roache is probably the most famous soap star in the UK.

Otherwise, there would be no named threads....

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Bill Roache has a Poll question thread.

My point is can you possibly justify pulling folk out of a general thread? Starr shouldn't be lumped in with every musician who played on a track, and Roache is probably the most famous soap star in the UK.

Otherwise, there would be no named threads....

Then start threads for them if you think the current ones aren't adequate enough, or quit moaning and accept the current threads to the job. 

Then start threads for them if you think the current ones aren't adequate enough, or quit moaning and accept the current threads to the job. 

Who is moaning, my friend? I merely expressed my astonishment they didn't exist.

I'm content to start threads for people I'm invested in, but as I said, it's better imo to ask first.

8 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I'm pretty damn certain there's a thread for Bill Roache but then again he's covered under Rolf Harris thread,

FTFY :D

I see threads worth starting if it's either someone widely known and A-list or if they're an ill name discussed SO much that a separate thread can be justified. Though I feel most of the ill-but-obscurer that get their own threads were fine sticking with the omnibus threads beforehand. Like with Cappotelli, the most we get from him newswise are social media updates from his wife every week or two. Not really separate thread worthy.

I think the only time I made threads on my own was starting this years Inverse Dead Pool, and one of those "which DL name dies next?" polls. The forum also says I started the thread on Ed Asner, though that was one of those cases where someone didn't have a thread until they appeared on DL and relevant posts about them were moved to said thread.

• Like 1

Who is moaning, my friend? I merely expressed my astonishment they didn't exist.

I'm content to start threads for people I'm invested in, but as I said, it's better imo to ask first.

Well you came across as a moaning minnie in your tone...

There's no need to ask first, the mods can and do shut threads they disagree with at their will, otherwise it's fine.

Well you came across as a moaning minnie in your tone...

There's no need to ask first, the mods can and do shut threads they disagree with at their will, otherwise it's fine.

Well, I apologise if you took it as that.

Tbh, I think the honour of starting a Roache thread should go to you Deathray anyway, you're our soap superstar...

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, I apologise if you took it as that.

Tbh, I think the honour of starting a Roache thread should go to you Deathray anyway, you're our soap superstar...

To be fair, most of your posts come across like that.

However I've never felt the need to start a thread for him or any other soap star, given we have the Betty Driver thread and very few of them have done anything significant enough to warrant their own thread, and most of the ones who have are brown bread (Jean Alexander comes to mind for LOTSW). It's more when someone has a varied career they need their own thread, when your sole job has been on one show for knocking on 60 years the thread for  that is good enough. 

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

To be fair, most of your posts come across like that.

To be fair, I've never had a warning point or been banned.

Love you too...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, I've never had a warning point or been banned.

Love you too...:P

Mainly because being a moaning minnie isn't a bannable offense, more's the pity...

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

*innocent face*

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Personal rules:

1) Are they someone who will attract any interesting discussion? Cliff Richard probably isn't going to drop dead any time soon, but there's always lots of rumour and innuendo about him

2) Are they actually famous? Threads for the second bass player from The Bluetones probably aren't valuable

3) Are they in the public eye? Threads about hermits won't work, which is why I wouldn't start a, say, Bobbie Gentry thread. However, Jenny Ditski got a thread from me because she was very vocal on Twitter during her final months.

4) Are you post-whoring? Please don't.

Good question(s).
It irks me that people really skew the 'celeb' line to post whore.  I've called them out.  And your post here, Spade, is subconsciously doing the same and I applaud the statement in the form of questions.
1. Are they ill (and I mean ILL not hangnail rushed to hospital for heat exhaustion, I mean ill having something called a 'di-ag-no-sis'.  In fact let's use that as a rule.  The person needs a diagnosis of either an inoperable, incurable, or terminal illness.  Anything less isn't ill enough for a thread.  Obviously heart attacks strokes etc, if BAD (not Kevin Smith e.g.), can be substituted.  Really Fn old may take the place of illness, but let's say at least 95 for that to kick in.
2. Are they celeb?   Not necessarily DL famous, but at least they had to be somebody that will garner a large amount of national (and hopefully worldwide) newspaper attention when they go.  That takes a little subjectivity out of the equation.  Anyway, this is the biggest violation.  And you know who violate this -- the 'teens' in this group.  OK let's say the 'under 25 crowd'.  They know who they are.  
If you don't understand the difference between starting a thread for Kenny Rogers and starting a thread for some guy Kenny _____ who was a star midfielder for your favourite team Southhampton, you're lucky Sir C isn't an Admin.
3. AAARRRGGHHH -- Is the person DECEASED?  Why do you fuckers open threads for individuals AFTER they've died?  For fucking tribute's sake?  Moronic.  You had your chance whilst living, you blew it.  Let it go.
4. Are you post-whoring?  Why yes....yes you probably are.

SirC

1 hour ago, Toast said:

The flipside to your point 1 - If they definitely are going to drop dead any moment now, is it really worth starting a thread about them? 

See my #3 above.  Yours is a derivative and you are spot on mate.  I'm waiting for the Kulsoom Nawaz thread any minute now.  Where is Mad Hatter 2 or Sean.... they're slipping!

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ringo Starr violates my Rule 1.  He isn't sick at all.  Why would we start threads for the healthy?  He will have his time, unless he pulls a John Nash....then by God please PLEASE do not violate my Rule #3 and start a 'tribute' thread FFS.

I agree re: Bain or Cappotelli, they are/were nobodies except in DP discussion.  They are totally unworthy of personal threads.
SC

Just leaving this here...

54 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

If you don't understand the difference between starting a thread for Kenny Rogers and starting a thread for some guy Kenny _____ who was a star midfielder for your favourite team Southhampton, you're lucky Sir C isn't an Admin.

Shame we're a year too late for a thread on Ken Wimshurst: he died in 2017. Did Ken Monkou ever push up and play in midfield?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

See my #3 above.  Yours is a derivative and you are spot on mate.  I'm waiting for the Kulsoom Nawaz thread any minute now.  Where is Mad Hatter 2 or Sean.... they're slipping!

:lol:  You mean you missed it?

Someone did indeed start such a thread, but it was swiftly merged into the First Ladies thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1