Deathray

Cure for Cancer....

50 minutes ago, Deathray said:

This would seriously ruin deadpooling so worth keeping an eye on.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51173270

Essentially, the closest we've ever been to an universal cure for cancer.

David Olney’s death would be a universal cure for cancer? :huh:

• Haha 1

On a more serious note, I don’t think they can truly cure all of cancer, mainly because it’s more of a human reaction inside your body. I think what’s much more likely to happen (and what probably will eventually happen) is that they’re able to find a way to stabilize the cancer and allow patients to live longer (and higher quality) lives. It means that, yes, it will be harder for dead poolers to come up with a list of 20. But I think we’re already kind of seeing a shift into more long term cases before they are dead pooling hits. So while it’ll certainly change dead pooling dynamics, I don’t think it’ll be as detrimental as people make it out to be. 

• Like 1

Why don't they invest in something worthwhile like how to stop your nose running in cold weather and just let cancer kill the people that it was meant to do in the first place?

We will never save the planet from dying if we keep on saving people from dying.

9 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Why don't they invest in something worthwhile like how to stop your nose running in cold weather and just let cancer kill the people that it was meant to do in the first place?

We will never save the planet from dying if we keep on saving people from dying.

cancer does not want to kill people it is a mutation which reverts back to the code in our genes from a much earlier age when we were single cell organisms it says fuck cooperating with our body as a whole It will just to it's thing which is to replicating it self infinitely  (some/most cancers do not die of old age) of course it has no intellect as such it kill its host and then dies itself as the result.   

Saw it being discussed on Reddit yesterday. The headlines are more eye-grabbing than the research suggests. It's basically an idea, needing research, years away from fruition.

Cancer cures, and the news about them, are an industry on their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

That's a ridiculous argument. Most disease we treat with medicine are meant to kill people, but some found a cure, that's how medical science works.

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Saw it being discussed on Reddit yesterday. The headlines are more eye-grabbing than the research suggests. It's basically an idea, needing research, years away from fruition.

Cancer cures, and the news about them, are an industry on their own.

The headlines are more eye grabbing yes, but it's the first one of these I've ever seen that looks remotely likely to come to fruition. 

I have not read the headlines but the only way you can beat cancer is by gene manipulation sure you can destroy some cancers by other methods but once you can start manipulation the the genes in a cancer cell we have beaten it 

Just now, runebomme said:

I have not read the headlines but the only way you can beat cancer is by gene manipulation sure you can destroy some cancers by other methods but once you can start manipulation the the genes in a cancer cell we have beaten it 

This is immune cell manipulation, don't think it's quite gene manipulation but it's scientifically sound (in theory). 

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

This is immune cell manipulation, don't think it's quite gene manipulation but it's scientifically sound (in theory). 

is it about the cell emitting enzymes to destroy the cancer

4 minutes ago, runebomme said:

is it about the cell emitting enzymes to destroy the cancer

I think that's the jist of it... basically take the cell out, and inject the cells back in modified to kill off cancer in other cells..... (am I right thinking in theory this could also be used for other immune disorders?)

T-cells have "receptors" on their surface that allow them to "see" at a chemical level.

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.

Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.

This particular T-cell receptor interacts with a molecule called MR1, which is on the surface of every cell in the human body.

@runebomme

The article has a handy diagram. As I said it's the first one of these that I've looked at and thought. Yes....

Infographic explaining how CAR-t works

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I think that's the jist of it... basically take the cell out, and inject the cells back in modified to kill off cancer in other cells..... (am I right thinking in theory this could also be used for other immune disorders?)

( lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells) the cells have very different nature and this seems a sledge hammer approach.

to fully deal with it we have to understand it on the gene level but attempts like this are better than waiting for a bit of science which we don't yet have

8 minutes ago, runebomme said:

( lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells) the cells have very different nature and this seems a sledge hammer approach.

to fully deal with it we have to understand it on the gene level but attempts like this are better than waiting for a bit of science which we don't yet have

Regardless of it being a sledge hammer approach, to my untrained eye it looks like a mechanism that would if they found it worked be a breakthrough for medicine in general. 

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Regardless of it being a sledge hammer approach, to my untrained eye it looks like a mechanism that would if they found it worked be a breakthrough for medicine in general. 

We shall see

One step closer to immortality

• Like 2

Just think, a cure for all cancers will mean no more chuggers, no more awareness campaigns, no research carried out by teams of scientists, no admins, no staff whatsoever.

Unemployment will suddenly rocket!

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 16:34, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Just think, a cure for all cancers will mean no more chuggers, no more awareness campaigns, no research carried out by teams of scientists, no admins, no staff whatsoever.

Unemployment will suddenly rocket!

They've already moved on to dementia...

• Like 1

Look at this as not just a cure for cancer but also step towards to other genetic problems that cause issues for lots of people who suffer with no current solutions to their current status. Kudos to the scientists who pursue these routes. 

Massive success in drug trial - the only dead pooling consolation being that more long-term survival of people in the west = more profligate use of resources and we'll all fry in a global warming cataclysm started by Jasmin David's inconsiderate use of helium balloons, or summat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-62033469

• Like 1