It's not often I suggest candidates, but looking at a photo of the man in the middle, and then taking into account his obesity & his age (86 in August), he would be a serious candidate for 2007, I think. Certainly famous enough, and for his own thread, I think.

Only thing is, he's still doing book signings & obviously his brain seems intact, if not his body, going by the blurb.

Thoughts?

Link

He doesn't look too healthy and he's certainly famous enough

Looks like he was propped up in that photo, and that was 2 years ago!

Certainly one to keep an eye on!

I think a big part about living and dying is will... when you have an active and zesty life, you can overcome a lot of things that would be terminal in other people. That's the way I feel about Ray Bradbury. While he's certainly one to watch, I feel that he's got a lot of life left in him, and that he'll continue to be signing books and protesting Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11 for a few years yet.

Yea...he doesn't look very good. Typically people that get pictures with the President stand if the President is standing...it's one of those respect things. If he makes it to next year, he should definitely be on the list.

That's the guy who wrote a short story on how people are becomming lazy choosing to stay indoors and stare at screens rather than enjoy the out door.

No idea where he got that idea from...

bradburyin2004.jpg

He'll be alright. Jim's obviously fixed it for him.

:D

Judging by the Farenheit 9/11 thing it was probably his wish to meet President Bush.

A little research on Bradbury shows that he is still producing work (even though he may well be dead in that photo).

Yea...he doesn't look very good. Typically people that get pictures with the President stand if the President is standing...it's one of those respect things. If he makes it to next year, he should definitely be on the list.

Typically people in wheelchairs are quite unable to stand.

Usually, unless they try to pull off some stunt. Like' everybody gather round..

Look the old man is standing and is about to speak.

In a situation such as this respect comes in many many forms.

Usually, unless they try to pull off some stunt. Like' everybody gather round..

Look the old man is standing and is about to speak.

In a situation such as this respect comes in many many forms.

He looks decrepid(sp) though. It'll be him and Arthur C. Clarke and Studs Terkel, all right in a row.

He looks decrepid(sp) though. It'll be him and Arthur C. Clarke and Studs Terkel, all right in a row.

Do you have a picture of Studs Turkel's decrepitness? I can't find one where he looks all that bad. In fact, I've been looking into him for 2007 perhaps, and a picture might sway me.

As for ACC, it's nice to hear some positive (negative? :lol: ) thinking about one of my candidates for once...

Canadian Paul Posted Today, 02:33 AM

QUOTE(Life Begins at 5 o'clock @ Apr 19 2006, 04:30 PM)

Do you have a picture of Studs Turkel's decrepitness? I can't find one where he looks all that bad. In fact, I've been looking into him for 2007 perhaps, and a picture might sway me.

As for ACC, it's nice to hear some positive (negative? ) thinking about one of my candidates for once...

I saw Studs Turkel for the first time on the Daily Show only last week and he looked very well to me. I'm putting him in the "spry" category - now that doesn't mean he won't drop dead tomorrow, but I think there are much better options looking at really ill people first.

Rod steiggeer was in a movie tyhe other lasrt night and it alwway s evokes memorys of when I read the illusteated man buy Mr. Bearedbyrry.

oh f. the keeyewa are acting up again/ got tyoe go now.

Yesterday wasn't it? I posted on the possibles thread, I'd forgotton this one. Also mentioned that his longevity might be largely down to caution. Despite the exciting transport peppered throughout his novels he's never driven and flew for the first time in his sixties. Been a bit wary of transport since witnessing a blood spattered and fatal car crash when he was a young 'un.

Yesterday wasn't it? I posted on the possibles thread, I'd forgotton this one. Also mentioned that his longevity might be largely down to caution. Despite the exciting transport peppered throughout his novels he's never driven and flew for the first time in his sixties. Been a bit wary of transport since witnessing a blood spattered and fatal car crash when he was a young 'un.

I didn't see your posting in the possibilities thread, I just did a quick search and remembered he had a thread of his own and that it hadn't been updated in a while.

I didn't remember he had a thread of his own. Dl eh? So much action, so little time to stop and think!

Candidate research shows that Bradbury has a sort of blog ala Tammy Faye.

Seems to be doing a lot better than her however...

87 today. Happy birthday Ray, you plannin' any more, or what?

At least the old feller still gets out and about.

Ray Bradbury Official Site

Indeed, over two years later and having been in a wheelchair for over half a decade, he's still out partying, this time in honour of silent actress Carla Laemmle's 100th birthday.

Quite a strange turn withy Bradbury being on the list for 2010. in recent days he's been the topic of lively conversation. Perhapps I have had a preminition or whatever those Claire voyant things are.

One item on his wiki page was just of interest to me...

Ray Bradbury has long been active at book signings, especially in the Los Angeles area, but after turning 90 (on August 22, 2010) has decided that, for the most part, his book signing days are in the past. Local vendors specializing in his books, places such as the Phantom Bookshop in Ventura, California, confirm this to be a fact.

And as an aside, since no other posts have been made in this thread for so long it has been left to sink all the way to last place. Not a enviable position for someone so note-worthy.