arghton

Military commanders

After the death of Jan Klenberg (1931-2020) I tried to search for a thread about military leaders, commanders, etc. Didn't find one, so here's one for y'all.

• Like 1

Wan Haifeng is turning 100 later this month. One of the last founding fathers of PRC and commander of volounteers during the Korean war.

@Paul Bearer let’s see how you do this time.  

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@Paul Bearer let’s see how you do this time.  

With what? If this is a duplicate thread, let me know where the original thread is and I'll merge them. 

I identified Fred Kroeson (1923-2020) a few years back for my DDP team, then of course this year, when I dropped him, he died. He was the oldest living US 4* general at the time.

On 08/09/2020 at 20:45, arghton said:

After the death of Jan Klenberg (1931-2020) I tried to search for a thread about military leaders, commanders, etc. Didn't find one, so here's one for y'all.

Both Klenberg's successor and predecessor as the Chief of Defence of the Finnish Defence Forces are interesting people.

62fb80d8a2eb419e961c95579786a86e.thumb.png.949cdd79efb1de243dc70b235864e09c.png

Jaakko Valtanen, ww2 vet (1925-2024) is still in a pretty good shape at 94 and is pretty known here. Valtanen is known for sending Finnish UN peacekeepers into the middle east and opposing the 60s hippie movement.

200693984-800x_.jpg.288979a3039469f3886a3c840a0a526e.jpg

Gustav Hägglund (born 1937) was a commander of UNIFIL, was involved in the arab-israeli conflict of 1978 and known for his hate towards overweight women, investing in a pyramid scheme in 2008 and hunting animals in Africa.

First Chairman of the European Union Military Committee 2001-2004

Baron Inge looks like a 90 year old in that wikipedia picture from 2007.

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interested to know if anybody has come across any British military commanders turning 95+ in 2021 not listed below?

Sir James Jungius b. Nov 1923, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir John Morrison Forbes b. Aug 1925, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Frank Kitson b. Dec 1926, General in the British Army

I'm not sure about people aged 95+ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lawson_(British_Army_officer)

But Richard Lawson, GOC in Northern Ireland during the Troubles is going to be 94 and he and Kitson are the only Generals born in the 1920s left, I think

From the USA, Harry E. Goldsworthy (born 1914, 106) is probably the oldest Lt.Gen alive

Also, Lt.Gen William Carr, called the "father of modern Canadian Air Force" is still alive and 97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Keir_Carr

• Like 2

If there's only three turning 95+ next year, might as well extend to British commanders born in the 1920s then (excluding Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip):

Sir James Jungius b. Nov 1923, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Thomas Baird b. May 1924, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Ted Horlick b. Sep 1925, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Frank Kitson b. Dec 1926, General in the British Army
Anthony Whetstone b. Jun 1927, Rear-Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Richard Lawson b. Nov 1927, General in the British Army
Sir Alexander Boswell b. Aug 1928, Lieutenant-General in the British Army
Sir Richard Vickers b. Aug 1928, Lieutenant-General in the British Army
Sir Derek Reffell b. Oct 1928 Admiral in the Royal Navy

All of these guys will obit of course.

List is incomplete so any additions welcome.

On 11/09/2020 at 22:23, Ulitzer95 said:

If there's only three turning 95+ next year, might as well extend to British commanders born in the 1920s then (excluding Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip):

Sir James Jungius b. Nov 1923, Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Frank Kitson b. Dec 1926, General in the British Army
Anthony Whetstone b. Jun 1927, Rear-Admiral in the Royal Navy
Sir Richard Lawson b. Nov 1927, General in the British Army
Sir Alexander Boswell b. Aug 1928, Lieutenant-General in the British Army
Sir Richard Vickers b. Aug 1928, Lieutenant-General in the British Army
Sir Derek Reffell b. Oct 1928 Admiral in the Royal Navy

All of these guys will obit of course.

List is incomplete so any additions welcome.

Telegraph death notice for Sir James Jungius (wiki), who was a month shy of 97.

vadm_sir_james_jungius-1.jpg.221ccfacc71e8969306c5611c5e1d932.jpg

• Like 2

On 08/09/2020 at 13:45, arghton said:

The reason you didn’t is because they’re completely accounted for in War threads, dumb cunt.

I begged the Admins to admin and create a rule no threads created by newbies, and lo, Exhibit A.  
SC

56 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

dumb cunt.

This is unnecessarily rude even for you. The OP did say he had tried to track an appropriate thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

The reason you didn’t is because they’re completely accounted for in War threads, dumb cunt.

I begged the Admins to admin and create a rule no threads created by newbies, and lo, Exhibit A.  
SC

There are an increasing amount of known military commanders who haven't been involved in wars. For example Klenberg, who I mentioned in the first post, never fought in any war.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2020 at 20:05, drol said:

Wan Haifeng is turning 100 later this month. One of the last founding fathers of PRC and commander of volounteers during the Korean war.

Update on Wan Haifeng: family is donating memorabilia to the public, the journalist could not interview or see him. Apparently very frail and bedridden, also born 1919 and not 1920 according to his family.

• Like 1

Some more people I'd keep an eye on:

Chief of the General Staff of Republic of China (Taiwan) Liu Ho-Chien is 94.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/劉和謙

Yugoslav fleet admiral Branko Mamula is 99 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branko_Mamula

Former Sri Lankan General Officer Commanding Cyril Ranatunga is 90

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Ranatunga

And former Turkish Chief of General Staff Necdet Ürug is 98 or 99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necdet_Üruğ

• Like 2

Former Tanzanian Chief of Staff David Musuguri is 100 and suffers from diabetes.

On 11/09/2020 at 15:34, arghton said:

Both Klenberg's successor and predecessor as the Chief of Defence of the Finnish Defence Forces are interesting people.

62fb80d8a2eb419e961c95579786a86e.thumb.png.949cdd79efb1de243dc70b235864e09c.png

Jaakko Valtanen, ww2 vet (born 1925) is still in a pretty good shape at 94 and is pretty known here. Valtanen is known for sending Finnish UN peacekeepers into the middle east and opposing the 60s hippie movement.

Jaakko Valtanen looking pretty good today, talking with the Finnish president Sauli Niinistö:

IMG_20201206_203358.thumb.png.a70f7af50d119dba559251fe52bffcf4.png

Boy THERE’S a butch fighting force: Finnish Defence Forces.  Is that an oxy moron?  

On 06/12/2020 at 23:43, Sir Creep said:

Boy THERE’S a butch fighting force: Finnish Defence Forces.  Is that an oxy moron?  

The Finnish actually have one of the more respected armies in Europe which twice held back the far bigger and mightier Russian army in the last century from conquering the country. The fact they still have a large and active army is often considered one of the major deterrents against another attempt...

I think they still have conscription too? We have a Finn on the forum who can tell us...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, msc said:

The Finnish actually have one of the more respected armies in Europe which twice held back the far bigger and mightier Russian army in the last century from conquering the country. The fact they still have a large and active army is often considered one of the major deterrents against another attempt...

I think they still have conscription too? We have a Finn on the forum who can tell us...

Sir Cunt is just looking for a fight as per usual.

• Haha 1