msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

33 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nice to get a mention in the Tom O'Connor obit.

(Was there really that little to say about the silver fox of the comedy circuit? :lol:)

Genuinely thought he was Des's brother.

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2021 at 21:26, msc said:

First of two DDP updates tonight.

Firstly - The Stats and Facts Page has been updated for the first time since 2017. 

On 06/08/2021 at 21:37, msc said:

Second of two updates.

The DDP Archive is finally here.

The entire history of the competition, as much as we have, in one place. Links to old competitions, the analysis from the hosts, historical bits that might help. 

I hope it is of use. 

Amazing work! Really interesting to see that kind of stats. Also nice to be mentioned a few times. Surprised that I am so high up in the all time points count. Looking forward for my 100th hit next year.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eesti said:

Amazing work! Really interesting to see that kind of stats. Also nice to be mentioned a few times. Surprised that I am so high up in the all time points count. Looking forward for my 100th hit next year.

The all time points bit amuses me, as I am now in the top 20 (hooray for me!) but also something like 14th highest tally not to win the DDP. It is heavily skewered towards the last decade. Although it also shows how good folk like Octopus of Odstock and Rotten Ali and Banshees were at the game, to have not played for a while but still be well in the top 25 all time. (Although Ali's back this year after a long absence, which raised a huge cheer at DDP Towers!)

I'm on 83 hits. Given the current 6 month drought 100 may take a wee while!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, msc said:

The all time points bit amuses me, as I am now in the top 20 (hooray for me!) but also something like 14th highest tally not to win the DDP. It is heavily skewered towards the last decade. Although it also shows how good folk like Octopus of Odstock and Rotten Ali and Banshees were at the game, to have not played for a while but still be well in the top 25 all time. (Although Ali's back this year after a long absence, which raised a huge cheer at DDP Towers!)

I'm also on 83 hits. Let's make a bet who and when gets 100 before the other?

5 minutes ago, Eesti said:

I'm also on 83 hits. Let's make a bet who and when gets 100 before the other?

Hah, I appear to have used up most of my DDP scoring ability on Rush Limbaugh's death.

Totally worth it. :lol:

50 minutes ago, msc said:

I thought I had 88 going into this year, but I don't see me in the list.

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

I thought I had 88 going into this year, but I don't see me in the list.

I thought you were there. You are now.

• Thanks 1

Hello, as it's not showing up on the search, can folk let me know who didn't get a Qualifying Obit and so has to be added to the List of the Lost. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Hello, as it's not showing up on the search, can folk let me know who didn't get a Qualifying Obit and so has to be added to the List of the Lost. Thanks.

Well, I'm still looking for obits for Jack Arends and Albert Bandura, looking less likely now.

Since the beginning of March? Dunno, I'd have thought gcreptile was keeping tabs on who wasn't yet obiting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, I'm still looking for obits for Jack Arends and Albert Bandura, looking less likely now.

Since the beginning of March? Dunno, I'd have thought gcreptile was keeping tabs on who wasn't yet obiting.

Mysteriously the LOTL is never complete because folk never seem to tell us about their obscure picks when they don't get obits!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Let's have a go:

GA Rodion

Jack Arends

Jose Manuel Caballero

Orlando Drummond

Kveta Eretova

Spencer McCall

Isela Vega

G Venkatasubbiah

Ken Wilkinson

These are the ones without a QO marked as such on the Celebrity pages. Might be others...wasn't there some Swedish actress @gcreptile recently came to light?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lester Wolff (surprisingly given the Mail's US politico love these days!)

• Like 2

Heh, I was so sure of Albert Bandura getting a Times/Telegraph obit, I didn't check Yahoo.

There are some more, could take some time until I get around to write them down again, though.

Edit: Philip Mickenbecker got a yahoo obit, but it was not in english, so...

The swedish actress Sylva Akessen, IIRC.

Alan Braden, Jeannette Altwegg (for now)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Heh, I was so sure of Albert Bandura getting a Times/Telegraph obit, I didn't check Yahoo.

There are some more, could take some time until I get around to write them down again, though.

Edit: Philip Mickenbecker got a yahoo obit, but it was not in english, so...

Sylva Akesson was the actress, btw, died in May apparently....

Thanks everyone. I think thats the DDP pretty much as up to date as possible. If that doesn't jinx a deluge with my luck of late nothing will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also Alan Burgess and Sinclair Hood can both be removed from LotL due to subsequent QOs.

• Thanks 1

Bob Fass from my counterculture theme team somehow didn’t get a QO…

On 01/01/2021 at 14:54, Spade_Cooley said:

Player I can see how there would be an argument over (although I would campaign for "wife of Gary Player and perhaps the most recognisable golf WAG for 50 years" is a bit above, say, Lisa Maffia's mum or that guy from Strictly's dad). Davison on the other hand, although not the most successful trainer in history, has a lengthy career as a horse-racing trainer and has been mentioned in numerous news reports in racing sections before her cancer diagnosis. I'd argue she's even more famous than Club Brugge's former third-choice, uncapped goalkeeper.

EDIT: Sorry, not Belgian giants Club Brugge. Belgian yoyo club Cercle Brugge.

Prescient as reports of Gary Player's wife Vivienne's death filter through: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/golf/rip-gary-player-wife-dies-breaking-vivienne-player/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Prescient as reports of Gary Player's wife Vivienne's death filter through: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/golf/rip-gary-player-wife-dies-breaking-vivienne-player/

Was going to say the first time a DQ'd pick might effect the top of the DDP, but actually scratch that - Spade's sub (musician Milford Graves) gave him considerably more points than Vivienne ever would have!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Was going to say the first time a DQ'd pick might effect the top of the DDP, but actually scratch that - Spade's sub (musician Milford Graves) gave him considerably more points than Vivienne ever would have!

And therefore in a different way a DQ'd pick has affected the top of the DDP.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

And therefore in a different way a DQ'd pick has affected the top of the DDP.

If he pulls back 15 points from August, the rest deserve to lose in my book. :D

Err, I mean, yes, true, but still the lesser evil imo.

• Like 1

In fairness my route to the title is pretty unlikely as it stands: two of Gary Burgess/Susie Steiner/Jana Bennett dying (possible), and none of Bob Dole/Shannen Doherty/David Gulpill going (not possible).