msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

I think we can all agree this has been a pretty rough year in terms for the DDP.

That being said, next year is looking quite promising. Lots of good names 2 months out. Hopefully a little more variety.

On 31/10/2021 at 14:04, YoungWillz said:

Jerry Remy last picked in 2019 for the List of the Missed: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/celebs_R.html#remy99j018

I hear the sound of some people tearing up their 2022 teams!

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

Alan Igglesden, last picked in 2010, qualifies for the List of the Missed.

I hear the sound of MANY people tearing up their 2022 teams!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, msc said:

I hear the sound of some people tearing up their 2022 teams!

I hear the sound of MANY people tearing up their 2022 teams!

Aye, Iggy's brain tumour was known to be incurable - it had just been managed really well for most of the last 22 years.

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, Iggy's brain tumour was known to be incurable - it had just been managed really well for most of the last 22 years.

Aye, though the move to hospice care a few months ago would probably have seen him on the Drop 40 had he lived another 2 months!

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Aye, though the move to hospice care a few months ago would probably have seen him on the Drop 40 had he lived another 2 months!

Indeed, the obits appeared rapidly - so people had noticed the hospice care, then

If there's a QO for Pat Martino, think that more or less seals the deal for Salmon Mousse.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 21:44, Banana said:

I think we can all agree this has been a pretty rough year in terms for the DDP.

That being said, next year is looking quite promising. Lots of good names 2 months out. Hopefully a little more variety.

I'm actually pretty confident the Derby Dead Pool will have a record  number of hits and break its record this year.

27 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

There does exist this: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/entertainment/legendary-jazz-guitarist-pat-martino-214957470.html

I will do an update tomorrow though, (hopefully with a different QO) but yes, it's a well-timed boost to Salmon Mousse's score.

Oh, FFS, I've just done an update on the Poker Tourney, and now I've got to go back.

Bloody, typical, I'm having another cigarette and pour myself another coffee. :banghead:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm actually pretty confident the Derby Dead Pool will have a record  number of hits and break its record this year.

I mean in terms of team variance. Most of the top teams are pretty identical. I'm envisioning a lot more creativity next year.

2 minutes ago, Banana said:

I mean in terms of team variance. Most of the top teams are pretty identical. I'm envisioning a lot more creativity next year.

What do you think will spur more creativity  next year?

For me  I feel the very wise step of incentivising unique picks has helped increase the level of variety of names picked in many teams. 

I personally don't over focus on the winning teams as I'm not very competitive and feel pretty sure I am not a contender to win!:D

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

What do you think will spur more creativity  next year?

For me  I feel the very wise step of incentivising unique picks has helped increase the level of variety of names picked in many teams. 

I personally don't over focus on the winning teams as I'm not very competitive and feel pretty sure I am not a contender to win!:D

I mean there's 5 unique hits in the top 50 teams spread among 3 teams. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banana said:

I mean there's 5 unique hits in the top 50 teams spread among 3 teams. 

Oh I'm much further down the league table than the top 50 teams!:D

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2021 at 00:14, msc said:

Also at this point, due to changes in his real life circumstances, DDP 2022 will be the final DDP Grim Up North can work the Excel sheets for teams entering. I can't tell you how many standing ovations that man needs, but anyhow, the call is now on for anyone who can use Excel to volunteer to take Grim (and Reptiles) role in the 2023 DDP. With my Cmme hat on, the more people involved in that, the merrier.

On 13/07/2021 at 09:14, Grim Up North said:

For my part of the role with the excel entry sheets that about 50% of the entrants might use this year it's an easier job than it was - I would say the main time commitment is first week of January. Other than that it's an hour a day during December.

And after first week of January nothing at all until first week of December again. I had planned to do it through 2023 but as msc says things are changing in my life which makes it too complicated. 

It would be most sensible for my successor to be on board this year and then I would be able to show them what was required with live data because I won't be around (I'm not dying) to provide advice etc in 2023.

Hi everyone

Not long till the start of December and the new entry period starts for DDP 2022 - exciting!

There were no takers in response to my email above in July. I just want to stress again that by the 2023 entry period I will not be here to help any successor which will make taking on the role way harder than it will be if someone is on board this year and I can show them what to do and let them have a go with me around.

I will still do the vast majority of the team entries for 2022 but being able to have a go will make it that much easier for the following year.

Sharing the load between a team of 3 is the way to go to keep the DDP going - please have a real hard think if this is something you could help with for a few years.

Cheers, GUN. 

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Hi everyone

Not long till the start of December and the new entry period starts for DDP 2022 - exciting!

There were no takers in response to my email above in July. I just want to stress again that by the 2023 entry period I will not be here to help any successor which will make taking on the role way harder than it will be if someone is on board this year and I can show them what to do and let them have a go with me around.

I will still do the vast majority of the team entries for 2022 but being able to have a go will make it that much easier for the following year.

Sharing the load between a team of 3 is the way to go to keep the DDP going - please have a real hard think if this is something you could help with for a few years.

Cheers, GUN. 

Maybe two or more of us should volunteer to replace you in that role. I could do some but I am quite slow so wouldn’t be able to manage it all. 

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I thought the Times would get there first. But it really seems that the Times' special focus on Irish matters has gone.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2021 at 05:46, Grim Up North said:

Hi everyone

Cheers, GUN. 

I should be able to lend my services if needed.

• Like 1