Book

The D-A-CH-DeathList 2024 (page 18)

25 minutes ago, Book said:

D-A-CH-Hit No. 2 is Hans Modrow, German politician and last communist premier of the German Democratic Republic.

He was 95.

https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Frueherer-DDR-Regierungschef-Hans-Modrow-gestorben-article23910073.html

Edit: Also a unique hit in the DDP for me :party:

Will he get an obit? European politicians are quite unpredictable in their obit chances. 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Will he get an obit? European politicians are quite unpredictable in their obit chances. 

It would be a shame for the UK press if he didn't get one.

So yeah, it could be possible.

• Like 2

I think he'll get a Times/Telegraph obit, hell, maybe there'll be a combined obit for him and Ivan Silayev.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think he'll get a Times/Telegraph obit, hell, maybe there'll be a combined obit for him and Ivan Silayev.

Maybe. Both those newspapers don’t seem to give many non British political obits anymore. 

Should have had him on my general list, I wonder what I was thinking there. There's been a bunch of German candidates that I cut because of their lacking international notability, but surely that wouldn't have concerned me with Modrow.

• Like 1

So far he has a Yahoo Canada Obit and general Reuters Obit but neither seem to work with a .Uk link. 

Seems the reform of our internal processes worked!

Admittedly, both Tony Marhsall and Tim Lobinger were prime candidates anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Seems the reform of our internal processes worked!

Admittedly, both Tony Marhsall and Tim Lobinger were prime candidates anyway.

This!

And this is what Tony Marshall is famous for, his biggest hit "Schöne Maid".

Yes, it was a huuuuuge hit :wacko:

• Like 2

Another one who is a selection on the DDP but Obit chances feel iffy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Another one who is a selection on the DDP but Obit chances feel iffy. 

Yes, probably, but maybe wait a little longer.

I got 2 unique hits in one week and my 50 year old joker died too. That would give a total of 37 points, of which I probably won't get 28 because the ignorant UK press doesn't report on it and the rules of the DDP only allow that kind of press. That's why it would be a bit annoying if that were to happen, but of course I assume it will. It would not be the first time.

• Like 2

Rejected pick in Alt Obituaries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

The only thing I knew about him was that his son sang in the best german song of all time.

Bad taste at its best! :lol:

• Haha 1

I don't know if the Anglo-American media have something similar, but in Germany it's perfectly possible to ride on the success of one big hit for decades, in spite of the ridiculousness of everything that follows. Tony Marshall was one of the examples.

See also, Jürgen Drews (70+ and recently retired after health problems), Roberto Blanco (85 years old, inexplicably alive), Bill Kaulitz (of Tokio Hotel, still not dead from drug overdose/suicide/freak accident).

15 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I don't know if the Anglo-American media have something similar, but in Germany it's perfectly possible to ride on the success of one big hit for decades, in spite of the ridiculousness of everything that follows. Tony Marshall was one of the examples.

See also, Jürgen Drews (70+ and recently retired after health problems), Roberto Blanco (85 years old, inexplicably alive), Bill Kaulitz (of Tokio Hotel, still not dead from drug overdose/suicide/freak accident).

You compare Roberto Blanco to Bill Kaulitz? Interesting! :lol:

And as for the first part, it has to be said that there are a lot of one hit wonders that can survive for decades with a big hit. Carl Douglas (Kung Fun Fighting), George McCrae (Rock your baby), Gloria Gaynor (I will survive) to name a few.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

The only thing I knew about him was that his son sang in the best german song of all time.

Good grief.  Thank God for Kraftwerk.

27 minutes ago, Book said:

You compare Roberto Blanco to Bill Kaulitz? Interesting! :lol:

And as for the first part, it has to be said that there are a lot of one hit wonders that can survive for decades with a big hit. Carl Douglas (Kung Fun Fighting), George McCrae (Rock your baby), Gloria Gaynor (I will survive) to name a few.

George McCrae had 3 (UK) top 10 hits but no-one remembers the other 2. Gloria Gaynor had previously reached number 2 with the almost-as-famous Never Can Say Goodbye, though that was later eclipsed by the Communards version. 

• Like 2