Imelda

Madchester

13 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

They certainly 'borrowed' a lot from Slade, T Rex, Beatles, Glitter and the Coca-Cola advert. 

On the other hand they were the biggest British band of the 90s by far, Liam Gallagher had an incredible voice (which is still in pretty good nick), Noel is probably the best UK melody writer since McCartney, a couple of the songs have effectively reached national treasure status, and they also have popularity with the younger generation who weren't around in the 90s.

The numbers don't lie and this tour will dwarf any other British band reunion there has ever been (far ahead of Blur, Police, Stone Roses etc).

They borrowed so much from Glitter they ended up with a writ and a deal to cut him and his producer - Mike Leander - into the royalties, however bad Glitter's health and incarceration predicament gets he won't die a poor man

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

They borrowed so much from Glitter they ended up with a writ and a deal to cut him and his producer - Mike Leander - into the royalties, however bad Glitter's health and incarceration predicament gets he won't die a poor man

They also had to pull "Step Out" off their second album just prior to release as it was too close to Stevie Wonder's "Uptight (Everything's Alright)". I'm not sure if any albums had been pressed by then - if so it would have cost them a considerable sum.

Plus, when that album did come out, there was a Tuesday evening music show on our local radio station, presented by their football commentator when there were no Tuesday evening matches. One week he had an Oasis special, which just consisted of all the tracks that they'd ripped off to that point.

I caught some of their set at Glastonbury 2004 - they were shite! And they attacted a lot of drugged-up scallies, but as they played the Friday evening, many of them were gone by the following lunchtime.

Noel even stooped to (undoubtedly intentionally) ripping off premier Beatles pasticheur Neil ‘Rutles’ Innes on ‘Whatever’, which again cost them a lawsuit. One of the steals I dislike most, for no particular reason, is the All the Young Dudes bit in the truly horrible ‘Stand By Me’. At least they were on safer ground nicking Pachelbel’s chord sequence (along with many others) for Don’t Look Back in Ongar, as he’d been dead for millions of years.

If I want to hear the 65-67 Beatles sound done with style and wit, I’ll listen to Cotton Mather’s underrated Kontiki album, thanks Noel.

Liam Gallagher was the support for the Stones when they played London Stadium in 2018.  We didn't bother to go in, sat eating burritos outside.

• Like 1

So, a little riposte to the stuff above about what they ripped off, that's hardly new and I just read a biography of Robert Plant in which the - ahem - influence of classic blues on the best of Led Zeppelin is discussed, some of it now the subject of re-jigged writing credits, some of it not. 

I used to have a poster of Marc Bolan on the office wall at work which included a quote from Noel Gallagher that went something like: "Marc Bolan was ripping off Oasis before we were born, which we've still to take him up on"

• Haha 1

The joy of the film Yesterday where Beatles don't exist other than from Himesh Patel's mind, is that Oasis don't exist because of their influence.

• Haha 3

All pop music borrows from or is influenced by previous artists. The Beatles plagiarised Come Together from a Chuck Berry song. Their falsetto "woos" in songs like She Loves You come from Little Richard.  McCartney was often derided as writing pastiche. The Stones copied too many American blues players to list.

What you have to ask is does the music stand up on its own or does it get quickly forgotten. Judging by demand for the tour, Oasis is in the former category.

• Like 1

Agreed. I’m not against plagiarism per se, either conscious or unconscious, it’s just what you do with it. Oasis being popular doesn’t make them good or interesting in my eyes (which is obviously another can of worms). One of Noel’s idols, Paul Weller has often borrowed bits and pieces, but to me usually more inventively than Noel. 

I’d occasionally bring a song to a rehearsal and another band member would say it reminds me of such and such, which I’d only then realise, so accidental plagiarism is certainly a thing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Paul Weller

Another self-opinonated dick tbh. Quite why the ability to pen a few tunes means we should pay more attention to their opinions, particularly political ones, than those of others has always eluded me, see also, actors.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

Quite why the ability to pen a few tunes means we should pay more attention to their opinions, particularly political ones, than those of others has always eluded me, see also, actors.....

Me too. I guess it's because the artist in question is often considered 'cool' and therefore their fans aspire to be like them/think like them as well as liking their music.. I occasionally read the likes of NME in my youth which was always full of the trendy musicians of the day sounding off politically (which is why I rarely read it in any detail).

By contrast no one ever wanted to know (say) Cliff Richard's or Johnny Mathis' thoughts about anything political, because they (and by extension their thoughts) were very uncool and consequently considered not worth reading/writing about.

• Like 2