RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

I'm almost certain Xabi Alonso will be the next Liverpool manager, but until it's announced I'm holding out hope for Jose Mourinho.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm not a Liverpool fan :lol:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

idc who they hire as long as Ange is off limits, I have every confidence he would tell them to go swivel if approached but he is the best thing to happen to us in 50 years of supporting THFC

• Like 2

Danny Bloor out at Welling.

I had him in the last round (when he got sacked by Eastbourne) but no one had him this time round.

• Like 1

Darren Moore sacked by Huddersfield after only winning 3 out of 23 games in charge. Best of luck to the new manager turning things around especially as the transfer window closes this week.

• Like 1

Well below our radar for qualification in this pool but Sutton United's women's team has the UK's first trans manager: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68122079

In a massive relegation battle, which should give them something to talk about when they collide with the men's first team (who look almost done and dusted to join the National League)

Aberdeen sack manager Barry Robson which isn't a surprise as this is the time of year they do this as a matter of routine it seems.

14 Feb 2022 - Stephen Glass sacked

29 Jan 2023 - Jim Goodwin sacked

31 Jan 2024 - Barry Robson sacked

Not picked by anyone as far as I can see.

• Like 1

I keep seeing sackings and they either haven't been picked or are ineligible because they're second sackings of the season! :facepalm:

Since I last updated, I can see that Stuart Maynard has been poached by Notts County from Wealdstone and Matt Taylor (Shrewsbury), Danny Bloor (Welling), Dennis Kutrieb (Ebbsfleet) and Barry Robson (Aberdeen) have all been sacked - none of whom have been picked in this game.

Also out are Troy Deeney (Forest Green) after a month, Michael Appleton (Charlton) after 4 months and Darren Moore (Huddersfield) who replaced Neil Warnock in September - all useless for this game as their predecessors were hits! Perhaps we need to introduce a transfer window into the game in January? :rolleyes:

I've previously categorised Lee Johnson's sacking by Fleetwood as a miss, but closer inspection makes me realise he was previously a miss for being sacked by Hibernian in August - twice in 4 months! That takes some doing. Scott Brown was a miss when he was sacked by Fleetwood in September.

I haven't included Jurgen Klopp, as he does not leave until season-end (and if he does a Fergie, he won't leave at all, but I suspect he will!). Lady Fiona could have a lot riding on that come season's end, as she is just one off the lead and has him on her team (as does Commtech Sio Bibble, but he has a bit more work to do to get into contention!).

You could now make a winning team out of the missed contenders - we've reached 20! (38 hits, 5 ineligible).

Reminder of the Static Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria - 10

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona, Rover and Out - 9

Bibliogryphon, Diego - 7

MariNisia, Maryportfuncity - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble, Buffalo Phil - 5

• Like 3

Surely it's time up for Roy Hodgson?

As a Port Vale fan it's definitely time for manager Andy Crosby to go. Head of recruitment David Flitcroft can follow him out of the door also. The way Port Vale is being run at the moment is embarrassing. Owner Carol Shanahan said that the club when promoted via the League 2 play-offs two years ago needed to be "Championship Ready". I question that we are even "National League Ready". Lost 3-0 away at Fleetwood Town today who were sitting bottom of the League 1 table. Vale are now in a relegation dogfight for certain. With hardly any strikers and appalling recruitment in the January transfer window Port Vale are doomed to life in the basement league of the EFL pyramid.

• Like 1

That time of year for any club thinking to surge out of trouble. Carlisle went bottom again today, despite an incoming seven players in the transfer window. I'm still thinking the new owners will keep the faith with Simmo, though increasingly also thinking some of the familiar pubs of the past in Crawley, Gillingham etc. will be selling pints to London Branch of the support as the newbies gel and we storm to promotion from the second tier this time next year. 

• Like 1

Fan speculation on Twitter about Poch continuing in the Managers role at Chelsea after losing 4-2 to Wolves

On 03/02/2024 at 18:18, Steve said:

As a Port Vale fan it's definitely time for manager Andy Crosby to go. Head of recruitment David Flitcroft can follow him out of the door also. The way Port Vale is being run at the moment is embarrassing. Owner Carol Shanahan said that the club when promoted via the League 2 play-offs two years ago needed to be "Championship Ready". I question that we are even "National League Ready". Lost 3-0 away at Fleetwood Town today who were sitting bottom of the League 1 table. Vale are now in a relegation dogfight for certain. With hardly any strikers and appalling recruitment in the January transfer window Port Vale are doomed to life in the basement league of the EFL pyramid.

Aye, you're currently the yardstick for Carlisle - seven players in during the transfer window but struggling to sort out the chaos on the pitch as we bed in a new line-up and yesterdays 3-2 defeat at Orient flatters us. First goal was a desperate clearance colliding with an oncoming Carlisle body (so we claim it), second goal was right at the death with us already buried and a blatant handball in the box which probably wasn't required given that we hadn't put them under too much pressure. We won't finish bottom because we will make some of the new signings work, but Vale's goal difference is ten better than ours so basically we're 11 points from safety with 16 games left to make up that ground.

• Like 1

Well continuing the cycle of woe, my beloved Blackburn are also in crisis. No wins in the league since November, 5 clear of the drop zone, losing to relegation-threatened QPR at home yesterday, a manager at loggerheads with the board, a board who can't negotiate paperwork to save their life and a very unhappy fan base. Teams who have JDT, you may be in luck before the end of the season. :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Well continuing the cycle of woe, my beloved Blackburn are also in crisis. No wins in the league since November, 5 clear of the drop zone, losing to relegation-threatened QPR at home yesterday, a manager at loggerheads with the board, a board who can't negotiate paperwork to save their life and a very unhappy fan base. Teams who have JDT, you may be in luck before the end of the season. :unsure:

Thought they'd be coming back up . They had a decent team when Ben Brereton Díaz played for them. Two teams I routinely want in the prem are Blackburn and Preston. Blackburn because it reminds me of watching them in the prem as a kid and Preston because I've never seen them in the top flight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

But at the moment relegation is not a prospect as the bottom two look pretty set (sorry Yorkshire) and there is a lot of competition for that final space especially with QPR and Huddersfield getting wins teams like Stoke and Birmingham are being drawn in

44 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

But at the moment relegation is not a prospect as the bottom two look pretty set (sorry Yorkshire) and there is a lot of competition for that final space especially with QPR and Huddersfield getting wins teams like Stoke and Birmingham are being drawn in

I agree, I think we'll be OK, but the fans are very jittery. We need 17 points to get the magic 50, which is definitely doable, but when we were relegated in 2017, we got 50 and went down on goal difference...to Birmingham. Add the fact they're managed by ex-boss Tony Mowbray, who last season saw his Sunderland side pip us to the play-offs on goal difference and you can see why the fans are nervous. Club is in a mess off the pitch, which really isn't helping things.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 18:18, Steve said:

Andy Crosby gets the sack!!!

• Like 1

On 28/11/2023 at 09:57, Sly Ronnie said:

Derek Adams has left Morecambe to become Ross County manager.

Didn't last long, thumped 5-0 by Motherwell last night, walks out on Ross County today after less than 3 months in charge

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-adams-walks-out-ross-32071008

• Like 1

Well, it's been all over the local press for the past couple of days, while they've dotted the i's and crossed the t's but it's one out and one in at Ewood Park, as Rovers part ways with Jon Dahl Tomasson by mutual consent. How we got here is complicated: a change of project at the start of the season, owners who have to go to the Indian courts to put money into the club, a disastrous end to the transfer window (where we looked to sign an American striker, called it off while he was mid-flight, resurrected it mid-afternoon on deadline day, made a new deal to loan him until the end of the season then sign him permanently, then allegedly - I kid you not - conclude the deal early evening but only SAVE it to the EFL upload site, not SEND it to the EFL), the club banning the manager from speaking to the media last Friday and him then giving a pretty brutal show of passive aggression in the post-match comments on Saturday night. Seemed untenable, turns out it was. The fact we haven't won in the League since November, have conceded more goals this season than we did in the entirety of last season and the most in the Championship probably doesn't help either. As has also been in the news over the past few days, within the hour, John Eustace (formerly of Birmingham) has been confirmed as the new manager of Blackburn Rovers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68192976

Not a bad replacement, it couldn't continue with JDT the way it was, but sad it's ended this way and my club is still in a state of chaos behind the scenes. If you believe Sky Sports News, JDT is about to be made Sweden boss now.

Anyway, in this game, that's a hit for @wannamaker and @Sly Ronnie, putting both in joint-first with GUB and halfway to victory! It's Sly Ronnie's first hit in quite a while actually...

Updated Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria, Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker - 10

Lady Fiona, Rover and Out - 9

Bibliogryphon, Diego - 7

MariNisia, Maryportfuncity - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble, Buffalo Phil - 5

• Like 1

Harrogate Town - where Simon Weaver has been manager since 2009, and his dad is chairman, thankfully remain just outside the League Two play-offs. I say thankfully because the 9-2 thumping at Mansfield tonight must have been a severe test for the traveling support https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68213063

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Harrogate Town - where Simon Weaver has been manager since 2009, and his dad is chairman, thankfully remain just outside the League Two play-offs. I say thankfully because the 9-2 thumping at Mansfield tonight must have been a severe test for the traveling support https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68213063

Second time this season - we thumped them 0-8 at home in the League Cup earlier in the season! He's not in any danger though, Harrogate in League 1 would be astonishing.

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Second time this season - we thumped them 0-8 at home in the League Cup earlier in the season! He's not in any danger though, Harrogate in League 1 would be astonishing.

Harrogate - six months - into League One might be the only thing that could dislodge him from the dugout!

Rumours on twitter/x that Roy Hodgson about to be replaced by Oliver Glasner but Crystal Palace just announced todays press conference been abandoned as Hodgson was taken ill during this mornings training session

• Like 1

8 hours ago, six feet blunder said:

Rumours on twitter/x that Roy Hodgson about to be replaced by Oliver Glasner but Crystal Palace just announced todays press conference been abandoned as Hodgson was taken ill during this mornings training session

Stable in  hospital, though frankly he's looked like a sleepless zombie for weeks so it's no surprise - through crocodile tears Palace are wishing him well. Frankly a bad day for almost everyone concerned: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68303964

• Like 1

Hmmm, been saying the new owners at Carlisle are talking a long-game and have put in the kind of money that buys a revival in a relegation zone team. Up until this afternoon it looked like Paul Simpson was safe but a 0-4 home spanking in a relegation six-pointer has forced him on the defensive. Performances, especially surrendering midfield possession and then chaotic defending have done for us, though it likely can't help that we brought in enough new talent to make those already in place restless and we've struggled in the transfer window to offload the displaced players. The atmosphere on the training ground with the newbies being spanked and others unable to get on the bench still training with them is likely a challenge to any manager. Simmo saved us two years ago when the National League was beckoning and - last season - got a team with a bottom half budget promoted via the play-offs. He also went down (to the Conference) with us in 2004 and managed two promotions in a row from that point. So, who knows: https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/24126673.carlisle-uniteds-paul-simpson-pledges-keep-fighting/

• Like 3